Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

I have made a start on weathering D7054, but no new pics yet.

I have also been doing more on the withdrawn Hymek which is now D7024. I have now removed a lot of paint with abrasives & she is now ready for a little more dirt, oil spllage & rust, but for now here is a pic of her present stage :)

post-6992-0-28359400-1419192556_thumb.jpg

Cheers Phill  :locomotive:

• Like 7

I have also been doing more on the withdrawn Hymek which is now D7024. I have now removed a lot of paint with abrasives & she is now ready for a little more dirt, oil spllage & rust, but for now here is a pic of her present stage :)

attachicon.gifD7054 FB2.jpg

That looks minging -good work, Phill :locomotive:

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

attachicon.gifD7054 FB2.jpg

Brilliant Phill

Steve

• Like 1

D7054 & withdrawn D7024 have been making modest progress over the Christmas period on my workbench.

D7054 is fully weathered & just awaits glazing, headcode panels & handrails etc, D7024 is also nearing completion, this loco needs bogies sorting & a few more minor details adding :)

No new pics of D7054, but here an up to date pic of D7024......

post-6992-0-54508700-1419798045_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I have done all the handrails with the usual wire & most of the glazing is done too. The glazing is a mix of Heljan side windows & handmade screens, I have aslo made my own headcode panels too....... I tend to find the headcodes & windscreens tend to suffer the prismatic effect using Heljan glazing.

The next jobs will be to do the rest of the screens & add headboard clips.

Another poor phone pic, but it does at least show the progress hopefully ............

post-6992-0-72281400-1419899572.jpg

Phill  :locomotive:

• Like 9

Hi Phill,

Interesting project and nice up-cycling too!

Will you leave more glazing in place - I rather liked the dirty windows etc.

Kindest,

CME

Hi CME :)

I assume you mean the model of D7024 withdrawn? ........most of the glazing will be left in place, mainly because I can get away without full cab interiors    :rolleyes:  :lol: 

• Like 1

Hi CME :)

I assume you mean the model of D7024 withdrawn? ........most of the glazing will be left in place, mainly because I can get away without full cab interiors    :rolleyes:  :lol: 

Hi Phill,

Yes I did - thanks.

When you are making up glazing do you just draw around the aperture and then transfer that to the glazing and then fettle to suit (once cut out)?

Is there an easy way to do glazing - I have yet to find a quick way, hence my asking.

The later HJ models dont seem to suffer from the prismatic effect/have better glazing...

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Hi Phill,

Yes I did - thanks.

When you are making up glazing do you just draw around the aperture and then transfer that to the glazing and then fettle to suit (once cut out)?

Is there an easy way to do glazing - I have yet to find a quick way, hence my asking.

The later HJ models dont seem to suffer from the prismatic effect/have better glazing...

ATVB

CME

Yes I do that with one screen & duplicate it from that one original :)

D7054 is begining to take shape now.....

post-6992-0-00949800-1420132250.jpg

All the glazing & headcode panels are now done & stuck in place using clear gloss varnish & have attached some headboard clips.

I have toned down the lower bodyside weathering & added brake dust referring to pics of D7054. I have also added a builders plate to one side only (as per the prototype)

All that now remains (I think) is the blue data panels, overhead warning flashes & buffer beam pipework.

Phill  :locomotive:

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 9

D7054 has acquired  buffer beam detail using MMP parts, some details from Heljan sprues intended for a class 33 & some bent brass tube, here's a pic of the MMP stuff partially assembled............

post-6992-0-04400700-1420307816.jpg

I also ordered some transfers from Railtech yesterday afternoon & they arrived in this mornings post !........superb they are too!! :)

So apart from cab interiors D7054 is nearing completion & here are a couple of pics to show the updated progress :)

post-6992-0-91239900-1420307871.jpg

post-6992-0-34509400-1420307893.jpg

Next jobs will be lamp irons, yet more subtle weathering & the cab interiors I mentioned earlier   :)

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 8

D7054 has acquired  buffer beam detail using MMP parts, some details from Heljan sprues intended for a class 33 & some bent brass tube, here's a pic of the MMP stuff partially assembled............

attachicon.gif20150102_155625.jpg

I also ordered some transfers from Railtech yesterday afternoon & they arrived in this mornings post !........superb they are too!! :)

So apart from cab interiors D7054 is nearing completion & here are a couple of pics to show the updated progress :)

attachicon.gif20150103_174531-001.jpg

attachicon.gif20150103_174520-001.jpg

Next jobs will be lamp irons, yet more subtle weathering & the cab interiors I mentioned earlier   :)

Hi Phill,

Very nice!

I had heard that Railteach stuff was good, nice to have a personal recommendation too though.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Hi Phill,

Very nice!

I had heard that Railteach stuff was good, nice to have a personal recommendation too though.

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

Railtec transfers are very good. Also Steve at RailTec does bespoke transfer too.

Steve

• 1 month later...

Now that Hymek D7054 is finished I have been spending my spare time improving the line.

First of all I have been making the garage more suitable for all year running, the roof has a habit of forming condensation on the inside at this time of year, so I have built a waterproof suspended ceiling from advertising display boards so that the condensation can drip harmlessly on the concrete floor rather than the layout.

I have also tried to improve the visual apperance of the indoor section by adding a pelmet round the boards.

post-6992-0-30948500-1423943921_thumb.jpg

With another batch of these unwanted display boards collected I have now extended the backscene  up to the suspended ceiling, this will further improve the appearance I hope & make this part of the line more photogenic ?.......

post-6992-0-94475000-1423944272_thumb.jpg

& with an initial coat of paint you can see the effect, I will fill the rest of the semes  & joints once this has dried......

post-6992-0-02320000-1423944410_thumb.jpg

Hopefully this will make the indoor section look much better when completed & more importantly make this part of the line weatherproof all year round in the harsh environment of the concrete garage .

Next time we will look at the changes I am making to the outdoor section :O   :)

• Like 13