Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

• RMweb Premium

it always struck me as a very unusual mix of locomotives the RTC took in, why didn't they use the same type as the spares they would have to keep would have been less.

I think it was a case of asking for a loco and it was whatever turned up! Mind you the Warship and the Hymeks were for use as dead weights to sit on track that was adjacent to a running line. The running line could have distorsions put into it with the use of rams (?) that pushed against the track that the warship and hymeks were sat on. Wagons were then run across the distorsion to see what happened.

Spares? Not needed for this job!

Andy G

On to outdoor matters :)

I have never been really happy with the way the line hugs the edge of this side  of the garden........

post-6992-0-61308800-1423998893_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-26537600-1423998933_thumb.jpg

I felt that this could be much improved if the long straight was eliminated completely, so I set to work changing the contours of the garden at this side. First job was to remove a apple tree & then curve the bed where the railway is outwards.......

post-6992-0-08538500-1423999198_thumb.jpg

Then the snow came down bringing outdoor work to a temporary standstill, we did get some interesting visitors at this time though, a very bewildered Fox who thought the site of the apple tree was ideal shelter form the storm :) ......

post-6992-0-42043500-1423999440_thumb.jpg

& the usual dreary GBRF Class 66 was replaced by two very fine class 47's or Brush 4's in old money ;)........

post-6992-0-50644800-1423999663_thumb.jpg

Once the weather improved a bit work continued & this is what we ended up with (this is the view from inside the garage where the indoor section is)  :)

post-6992-0-74458700-1423999789_thumb.jpg

& finally we have a view showing the proposed course of the new line............

post-6992-0-65807700-1423999976_thumb.jpg

Phill  :locomotive:

​ 

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 17

Great work Phill, looks very interesting.

Will you have enough space without a too sharp curve straight after the triangle ?  Just trying to think how the continuous circuit we go.

Rob :sungum:

No Rob the tightest curve will be the one you mention, but this will just be a continuation of the triangle curve at the same radius (about 7' I think) ;)

• Like 1

Now that Hymek D7054 is finished I have been spending my spare time improving the line.

First of all I have been making the garage more suitable for all year running, the roof has a habit of forming condensation on the inside at this time of year, so I have built a waterproof suspended ceiling from advertising display boards so that the condensation can drip harmlessly on the concrete floor rather than the layout.

I have also tried to improve the visual apperance of the indoor section by adding a pelmet round the boards.

attachicon.gif20150207_155427.jpg

With another batch of these unwanted display boards collected I have now extended the backscene  up to the suspended ceiling, this will further improve the appearance I hope & make this part of the line more photogenic ?.......

attachicon.gif20150214_180211.jpg

& with an initial coat of paint you can see the effect, I will fill the rest of the semes  & joints once this has dried......

attachicon.gif20150214_190955.jpg

Hopefully this will make the indoor section look much better when completed & more importantly make this part of the line weatherproof all year round in the harsh environment of the concrete garage .

Next time we will look at the changes I am making to the outdoor section :O   :)

Cheers Phill  :locomotive:

Cracking work inside and out Phill.

Jack Ray always used to say 'never, if you can help it, have the track parallel to the baseboard edge' or in your case the lawn etc. This philosophy was reiterated and endorsed by David Jenkinson. Of course railways are a thing of length and often are straight and linear, but that doesnt always enhance a model railway. Curving track always looks better and elongates, it looks more interesting when a train passes over it too. BTW will you be able to re-use/replant and/or incorporate the existing embankment as that looks superb to my eyes.

That fox looked healthy - we had another by the back door the other day, he was a healthy one too, he sat on the step and looked up at me when I was looking down at him thorough the door's glass (just inches apart we were) then he jumped up at the door just like our dog used too (and next door's cat), then the little tyke (he/she wasnt very old) went and sat on the railway (I tapped on the window at that point as one has to draw the line somewhere) and then on the fence!

Your home looks to be idyllically placed-my buddy who lives back up 't north again now has the mainline down the end of the road and has, IIRC, bumped into a couple of RMWebers on the bridge there when specials trundle though (its a small world). I understand that Tony Wright and Dave Lowery live line-side - you lucky fellows!

Keep the photos coming - very brave of you to do civils in this weather!

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

Not sure how the lay of the land will be in this area CME, although the plants will be replanted if they need moving.

I quite fancy this part of the line being on a curved viaduct although I have not fully made my mind up (I usually make it up as I go along anyway)

The track will be on a raised wooden bed rather than ground level as it is at the moment, so that would lend it's self well to the bridge/viaduct idea well....although with suitable planting it could soon take the appearance  of ground level track too.....time will tell ;)

Phill :)

BTW All budding garden railway types should be doing their civil engineering now IMHO as we can then enjoy the fruits of our labors in the summer & beyond  :sungum:

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 1

Hi Phill,

I think you should keep the original track where it is. One train can be waiting for the other line to clear before proceeding. Or if lifting the old track, maybe be seen as an old trackbed on a disused line

Steve 

• Like 3

Looks great Phill roll on the good weather. Will you be chiselling the old concrete trackbed out. Like the idea of the raised section/viaduct the wood has faired a lot better in the other section of the garden where the shrubs/bushes have grown up to track level..

Ross :)

• Like 2

Hi Phill,

I think you should keep the original track where it is. One train can be waiting for the other line to clear before proceeding. Or if lifting the old track, maybe be seen as an old trackbed on a disused line

Steve 

Looks great Phill roll on the good weather. Will you be chiselling the old concrete trackbed out. Like the idea of the raised section/viaduct the wood has faired a lot better in the other section of the garden where the shrubs/bushes have grown up to track level..

Ross :)

If I stick with the idea of some kind of viaduct then all the present landscape will be removed & the present trackbed in order to create a valley for the bridge/viaduct to cross :)

Phill :locomotive:  

Not sure how the lay of the land will be in this area CME, although the plants will be replanted if they need moving.

I quite fancy this part of the line being on a curved viaduct although I have not fully made my mind up (I usually make it up as I go along anyway)

The track will be on a raised wooden bed rather than ground level as it is at the moment, so that would lend it's self well to the bridge/viaduct idea well....although with suitable planting it could soon take the appearance  of ground level track too.....time will tell ;)

BTW All budding garden railway types should be doing their civil engineering now IMHO as we can then enjoy the fruits of our labors in the summer & beyond  :sungum:

Hi Phill,

All sounds great - beware with a curved viaduct they are not as easy to build as they first seem, yet there are a myriad of ways one can go with the construction methods (which will you use?).

In theory doing civils in the winter sounds great - yet we are on clay and awaiting a new back fence (which until erected would leave the railway vulnerable), so our garden is like a quagmire most of the winter months.

Keep up the good work and keep the photos coming.

Kindest,

CME

Pre-cast concrete is a good route to go, both for the ability to build the components off site in any conditions, and for the ability to follow a meandering line. I put one in for a friend back in 2010/11 and it's still going strong, a strip footing in concrete to take the piers and ste rough line and level, followed by construction of the piers and trackbeb. Track was then pinned down to blocks in the top section joints. It can then be rendered or painted with stone paint, very low maintenance as there isn't much movement thermally, and if you want to alter or remove it it's simple to break back down.

post-18627-0-15910500-1424198791.jpg

post-18627-0-91898100-1424198791.jpg

post-18627-0-18403800-1424198793_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-79674000-1424198794_thumb.jpg

post-18627-0-75772600-1424198789_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Hi Phil,

No reinforcement as the pieces individually are quite small, the mix was similar to that used by stonemasons for stone repairs, if I recall it's about 1 white cement to 3 or 4 stone dust/sand.There's no reason why a bit of light chicken wire/mesh couldn't have been dropped in the arches to help give it strength, but it withstood a bit of fairly vigorous tapping to get it level.

I hasten to add I didn't make the bits, just installed them, they were made by a stonemason friend of the layout owner. I will check to see if the moulds are still lying around and get the exact mix, it's withstood the last 4 years without any problem and was assembled with a flexible floor tile adhesive,(in the pouring rain, hence it was a bit messy), and has since been painted with stone paint.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's been a while since I updated my thread, but work has been continuing on the indoor part of the line.

The enlarged back scene has now been fully painted & trees have been appearing around Withercombe, the trees are made dead headed flowers from the garden, which have been grouped together in hopefully tree like shapes?

post-6992-0-29564600-1432237321_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-29484500-1432237350_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-02508900-1432238145_thumb.jpg

I was also experiencing some derailment problems on one of the mainline roads into the station, so I have bit the bullet & dug the offending line out of the ballast & re-aligned it for smoother running, this also meant removal of part of the platform as I was unhappy with the look of the necessary reduced width at the platform end. I think it looks fine after alteration & more importantly the reliability of this troublesome curve is now fine. 

post-6992-0-13196100-1432237944_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-98724000-1432238020_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-97530700-1432238044_thumb.jpg

The old goods yard which is now shared by the local coal man & the permanent way team has had a little more detail added.......

post-6992-0-69802000-1432238241_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-44194200-1432238374_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-99467100-1432238460_thumb.jpg

Next time I will have a look at the work that has been done around the tunnel area where the line ventures out into the garden......

Cheers 

• Like 12

It's been a while since I updated my thread, but work has been continuing on the indoor part of the line.

The enlarged back scene has now been fully painted & trees have been appearing around Withercombe, the trees are made dead headed flowers from the garden, which have been grouped together in hopefully tree like shapes?

attachicon.gifXL808438.JPG

attachicon.gifXL808426.JPG

attachicon.gifXL808441.JPG

I was also experiencing some derailment problems on one of the mainline roads into the station, so I have bit the bullet & dug the offending line out of the ballast & re-aligned it for smoother running, this also meant removal of part of the platform as I was unhappy with the look of the necessary reduced width at the platform end. I think it looks fine after alteration & more importantly the reliability of this troublesome curve is now fine. 

attachicon.gif20150328_104607.jpg

attachicon.gif20150329_134629.jpg

attachicon.gifXL808444.JPG

The old goods yard which is now shared by the local coal man & the permanent way team has had a little more detail added.......

attachicon.gifXL808453.JPG

attachicon.gif20150313_134619.jpg

attachicon.gifXL808449.JPG

Next time I will have a look at the work that has been done around the tunnel area where the line ventures out into the garden......

Cheers 

Hi Phill,

Great Post and nice to see your latest work - the scenery is really starting to pull the whole scene together.

You have done the right thing by re-aligning the tracks as poor running often 'kills' a layout and the enjoyment thereof.

ATVB

CME

• Like 1

Hi Phill,

Thanks for the nudge about your update.

Those trees look great. I will be asking questions about them the next time i see you :biggrin_mini2: which probably be Cleckheaton. :sungum:

The atmosphere at Withercombe is really taking shape.

Rob

I have made a start on fettleing my Rat today.

This was a show bargain & the first job required a bit of soldering to repair it in a few areas. 

The next job was a witness coat of etch primer to see what else needs doing before she becomes a BR(WR) blue example on my garden railway.

Here's a few pics of the progress so far..........

post-6992-0-48784400-1432501960_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-94482300-1432501980_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-80151900-1432502004_thumb.jpg

Any questions or comments welcome ;)

• Like 3

when we going to see an update and more U tube footage mate.

Hi Ian,

Glad to see you back Posting again - on the mend now hopefully?

ATVB

CME

I have made a start on fettleing my Rat today.

This was a show bargain & the first job required a bit of soldering to repair it in a few areas. 

The next job was a witness coat of etch primer to see what else needs doing before she becomes a BR(WR) blue example on my garden railway.

Here's a few pics of the progress so far..........

attachicon.gif20150524_172722.jpg

attachicon.gif20150524_205342.jpg

attachicon.gif20150524_205513.jpg

Any questions or comments welcome ;)

Hi Phill,

Excuse my ignorance, did you strip off all of the old green paint before priming?

Thanks in anticipation.

Kindest,

CME