Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

I now have 4 on the go Rob  :O  

The second one is a maroon FK, this one has been widened today & I have built an interior using Lima compartments.........did maroon 1st class have blue curtains? :scratchhead:

The third one is a second hand SO/SK with scratch built plasticard sides..........I have widened this one today.

Number four is not started yet, but is an  already widened Lima from that  box of four I got at Telford...........this  will be converted to as SO/SK body  using some S/H brass overlays I picked up a while ago.

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 1

I think there are many advantages to removing the sides rather than splitting down the middle, not least being the use of the original ends.....I did consider both methods of widening them, but found side only removal by far the best option ;)

Hi Phill,

I agree, that for you, yours is the best method, I already had the Peter Cowling ends so I ran with that method and as I wanted to super-detail (without going overboard) the underframes cutting out the centre section also helps in that regard.

I would consider overlays for some back-dated coaches though.

I will be adding some relief to the Aquitrain overlays BTW CME....I have already done this with the Blue/Grey MK1's which are fitted with 'Three Cee' overlays...

That was the name that I was trying to remember - Three Cee's, how quickly we forget, its like going back to a town ten years later and finding new buildings, old ones demolished and a few new one way systems introduced, one quickly forgets how it all used to be!

Thanks again Phill, keep up the good work!

Kindest,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

The BSK is looking a little more complete now, the interior has been completed..........

post-6992-0-92745900-1444059903_thumb.jpg

& Aquitrain overlays are fitted along with the roof, roof vents, bogies & foot boards (the foot boards are about to be painted in the pic) ....

post-6992-0-93260600-1444059933_thumb.jpg

The next jobs will be door furniture, buffers & transfers.

Two the other coaches are also progressing, but more of that later.

• Like 5

The BSK is looking a little more complete now, the interior has been completed..........

attachicon.gif20150929_112214.jpg

& Aquitrain overlays are fitted along with the roof, roof vents, bogies & foot boards (the foot boards are about to be painted in the pic) ....

attachicon.gifIMG-1444040235245-V.jpg

The next jobs will be door furniture, buffers & transfers.

Two the other coaches are also progressing, but more of that later.

Nice work Phill, looking very nice indeed, really looks the part.

Do you matt down the overlay sides - as they always seem very shiney to me - or just weather them (how do they react to weathering?)?

ATVB

CME

Nice work Phill, looking very nice indeed, really looks the part.

Do you matt down the overlay sides - as they always seem very shiney to me - or just weather them (how do they react to weathering?)?

ATVB

CME

Yes the will be weathered & given a coat of matt varnish just like these http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-6992-0-98801700-1436268071.jpg blue/grey Three Cee Lima's further back in this thread   ;)

Overlay coach number 2 is now also fully butchered.....as you can see the Lima windows do not correspond with the replacement sides on this one  :O  :locomotive:

post-6992-0-61793500-1444065508_thumb.jpg

The interior has also been cobbled together from various bits of Lima interior bits (6 seperate parts in total). This time I am using the original 'Three Cee's' overlay , which is trial fitted in the pic below..........

post-6992-0-25386300-1444065707_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Phill,

This is very interesting. The end results look amazing. Those three cee overlays look very nice once fitted. What glue did you use to attach the overlays ?.

Rob :sungum:

Thanks Rob, the overlays I have used were applied with double-sided tape......I supose you could also glue them, but there is the risk of some sort of reaction with some glues, so I have 'stuck'   :scratchhead:   with the double sided tape  as it has always worked fine ;)

• Like 1

Yes the will be weathered & given a coat of matt varnish just like these http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/uploads/monthly_07_2015/post-6992-0-98801700-1436268071.jpg blue/grey Three Cee Lima's further back in this thread   ;)

Hi Phill,

Lovely work - amazing results too!

Do you mask the windows so as to keep the shine on them?

Thanks Rob, the overlays I have used were applied with double-sided tape......I supose you could also glue them, but there is the risk of some sort of reaction with some glues, so I have 'stuck'   :scratchhead:   with the double sided tape  as it has always worked fine ;)

I was wondering that - I have an old S/H Lima with film sides and they have been glued on (Evo-stick) and its done for them!

I am guessing that you use a robust exterior quality SA tape - any preferred brand?

How robust are the film overlays in use?

BTW I have sent you a PM too.

Really enjoying looking at your coaches Phill, I may have a go with some like that to run with my Noble 'Hall'

ATVB

CME

Hi Phill,

Lovely work - amazing results too!

Do you mask the windows so as to keep the shine on them?

I was wondering that - I have an old S/H Lima with film sides and they have been glued on (Evo-stick) and its done for them!

I am guessing that you use a robust exterior quality SA tape - any preferred brand?

How robust are the film overlays in use?

BTW I have sent you a PM too.

Really enjoying looking at your coaches Phill, I may have a go with some like that to run with my Noble 'Hall'

ATVB

CME

So did the Evo-Stick contact edhesive damage them?......I would have guessed that Evo-Stick would have been OK?

The double sided tape is High Tack type I got from a printers that  I used to work at ;)

Looking good Phill. Cutting the sides off is definitely the best option.. Although I'd never thought about cutting them off square down the coach end. My method seems more complicated now I've seen how you have done it..

Ross..

• Like 1

So did the Evo-Stick contact edhesive damage them?......I would have guessed that Evo-Stick would have been OK?

The double sided tape is High Tack type I got from a printers that  I used to work at ;)

Yes Phill, looks like to solvent in Evo-Stick played them up - yet as they were s/h I cant be sure.

My preferred contact adhesive is UHU Solvent Free (non stringy) and it works a treat - outdoors in certain applications too!

I catch your drift. Some cheap DS tapes are awful now, but as with everything these days price vs quality seems very hard to gauge, until the product has been used and its too late. :O

Looking good Phill. Cutting the sides off is definitely the best option.. Although I'd never thought about cutting them off square down the coach end. My method seems more complicated now I've seen how you have done it..

Ross..

I agree Ross, I like the way that Phill seems to see the easiest route - my dad is pretty good at that - I have to explore all of the options before getting it how I want it.

Mind you, each of us had slightly different wants and needs tied up in our Lima coaches so we have chosen the right method for each of us.

BODGERS UNITED EH :mosking: :mosking:

Really inspired by Phills work though :yes: :imsohappy:

TBH I'm making it up as I go along, for coach 2 I cut the sides off in profile.......

post-6992-0-33847000-1444245727_thumb.jpg

as these are 'layout' coaches I will retain a lot of the Lima details & this method is easier for me hide the joins without removing detail ;)

Here's a quick peek at number 3 which was bought with rather nice scratch built sides, but not widened.......I have removed the sides & widened this one too.....

post-6992-0-24723400-1444245990_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Are these to be part of a rake you already have or is it the start of a new rake ?

Rob

No Rob these are a new rake which will run as a complete maroon rake or mixed with blue/greys when the line is running  period (1969/70 running mainly Warships,Westerns, Hymeks & North British).......the other entirely blue era is around 1974/75 (running mainly  Peaks, Brush 4's, Cromptons & Rats + the end of the Hymeks & Westerns)

• Like 3

Very nice Phill, a bit of back dating going on then.

Although still plentiful Lima coaches seem to be costly in some quarters these days (namely Ebay), can they still be found at shows etc (ie under the table finds)?

Luckily I have enough for now..

ATVB

CME

Yes, they can still be had reasonably cheaply at shows  :good_mini:

• Like 1

Very nice Phill, a bit of back dating going on then.

Although still plentiful Lima coaches seem to be costly in some quarters these days (namely Ebay), can they still be found at shows etc (ie under the table finds)?

Luckily I have enough for now..

ATVB

CME

Hi CME,

Yes, Lima's still can be found, Me & Rob (Lancer) got a box from Telford, with 2 Lima coaches & 6 Big Big Mk11's, oh & a Harry Potter coach for £50 !!!. Just sold the HP coach on EBay for £30. We were very lucky. Phill picked some Lima's too at Telford.

Steve

• Like 1

The second maroon MK1 has had it's overlays attached using some double sided tape I obtained from ebay....

post-6992-0-75090900-1445028427_thumb.jpg

& an Easybuild roof trimmed to size.........

post-6992-0-38299000-1445028439_thumb.jpg

I also added white metal roof vents & painted, the  my cobbled together interior has also been painted fully into first class colours & corridor connections & buffers have been added to both coaches (buffers not shown in the pics) ....The two new maroon MK1's just need door furniture, transfers & weathering now.

post-6992-0-40192300-1445028455_thumb.jpg

This brings the total rake of maroon coaches to 5 & 1 MTH BG.....

post-6992-0-27965000-1445028475.jpg

These coaches will be run as a complete rake of maroon stock or mixed in with blue/grey stock for running in the early period of my layout.

• Like 12