Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

It is basically a Bluetooth chip similar to a R/C chip between the batteries & the motor which is then driven by a phone app on my mobile.

The battery power is supplied by 9AAA cells :)

Thanks Phill, may I ask are the chips a proprietary item, Ive seen a similar system, but its only available in the USA? Also have you had any signal drop out issues?

I had to nip up to my loft for some tools for the DMU wire up this morning,I have that tinfoil/bubble wrap insulation stuff which keeps the temperature down a bit,but much nicer in the garden though :good:

I have the tinfoil/bubble wrap stuff as an interim measure, but our loft is no go area in extremes of temp. Lol!

ATVB

CME

Meant to ask; What sort of running times are you getting?

Also how are you switching the batteries on/off and charging them, via the track or charger? Was there much wiring involved for such and the chip, or is it plug and play type tech?

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Thanks Phill,

Sounds great, a step on from your blue tooth sound too......

My concerns over mw radiation seem unfounded, plus we all 'bath' in the stuff anyway....lol!

Buying electronic bits and bobs locally is almost impossible now, here, so switches and batteries would have to be internet purchases-youve given me some food for thought though...

ATVB,,

CME.

A new form of traction was trialed today on the Withercombe branch, after spending the morning wiring it, this Westdale Class 121 DMU is now controlled by Bluetooth & is driven using my mobile phone   :)[/size]

attachicon.gif20180506_173315.jpg[/size]

That is one hell of a picture Phil, certainly gets the juices going and gets the mojo back on track, many thanks for posting.

Hope to see you at Doncaster.

Regards

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

D1058 Western Nobleman arrives at Withercombe with a short ballast working ready for the weekends Permanent Way work .
The loco has just been finished off this week as have the Catfish & Dogfish ballast wagons. The loco is scratchbuilt using a modified pre production Heljan bodyshell & the wagons are weathered out of the box Heljan's .

post-6992-0-70315600-1527854684_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

The next loco for the fleet will be my Bluetooth powered Peak which will use the same Moncacy Bluetooth chip as my 121 DMU....

attachicon.gif20180610_202838.jpg

Are the numbers on the correct end of the Peak?.....never seen that before.....unless a querk of 70's TOPS renumbering??

Probably a prototype for everything so was intrigued..... 

The next loco for the fleet will be my Bluetooth powered Peak which will use the same Moncacy Bluetooth chip as my 121 DMU....

attachicon.gif20180610_202838.jpg

Hi Phill,

Very impressive!

Is that the new generic PCB/connector for the Monocacy BTC system? Is the chassis for the loco aluminium Phill?

May I ask what sort of run time can be expected from those batteries in combination with the motor and gearbox?

ATVB

M.

• Like 1

Hi Phill,

Very impressive!

Is that the new generic PCB/connector for the Monocacy BTC system? Is the chassis for the loco aluminium Phill?

May I ask what sort of run time can be expected from those batteries in combination with the motor and gearbox?

ATVB

M.

Yes it's the new PCB which is great too! :)

The chassis 1/8 plate alluminiumn & I would expect between 3 & 7 hours running time (similar to my Micromotive RC loco's) :)