Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Today I have made a start on the station building, like the rest of the line this will be based on Ilfracombe North Devon....

post-6992-0-97860500-1414089573_thumb.jpg

Quite a drab building I suppose, but I quite like it's simplicity. The building will be turned round to run parallel with the canopy, the canopy on Withercombe incidentally is also scartchbuilt but is based on Calington  http://www.colonelstephenssociety.co.uk/Callington%20early%20with%20overall%20roof.JPG-for-web-large.jpg

My versoin fo Callington canopy...

post-6992-0-27757000-1414090629_thumb.jpg

& the platform canopy takes it's inspiration from Ilfracombe. 

Ilfracombe canopy....

post-6992-0-18206500-1414091002_thumb.jpg

Anyway, back to the station building. Like the canopy's, this is built from plasticard & the first job was to work out a suitable footprint for the building. Once I was happy withe the dimensions I marked out the sides & ends of the building.......

post-6992-0-86920400-1414091563_thumb.jpg

This was checked & adjusted to suite the resin cast window frame & doors I will be using.....

post-6992-0-01579400-1414091654_thumb.jpg

& finally the basic structure was assembled, at this stage I also made provision for lighting......

post-6992-0-28891900-1414091608_thumb.jpg

Hopfully tommorow I will be able to make some more progress on the building.

Cheers Phill :)

• Like 15

The station building is progressing nicely & today I made a start on the roof. I decided to make the roof  removable so that I can access the working lights..

post-6992-0-25869400-1414186305_thumb.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit & overall proportions I made some chimneys from scrap plasticard & set to putting slates on the roof........

post-6992-0-61219700-1414186352_thumb.jpg

I also made some ridge tiles & detailed the chimneys using more scraps of plasticard & some sections of drinking straws for chimney pots..,,,

post-6992-0-28951800-1414186593_thumb.jpg

& finally when all this work was done I couldn't resist trying the part completed building in it's location.....

post-6992-0-72536700-1414186651_thumb.jpg

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 13

Lovely collection of classics in the car park!

Can I ask Phill, is your building just a single layer of plasticard? I'm just thinking of starting building one for my slowly (very!) growing 4mm effort, & a couple of friends who've done quite a few plasticard buildings tell me they have to be laminated to prevent warping? If I could get away with just a single piece I'd be very happy...!!

Keith

Edited by keefr2

Can I ask Phill, is your building just a single layer of plasticard? I'm just thinking of starting building one for my slowly (very!) growing 4mm effort, & a couple of friends who've done quite a few plasticard buildings tell me they have to be laminated to prevent warping? If I could get away with just a single piece I'd be very happy...!!

Keith

Hi Kieth :)

I don't claim any expertise, but the building is indeed made from one layer of thick plasticard. I do put lots of reinforcing bits of scrap in strategic places though . I did the same for both canopy's which have lived in the garage for more than a couple of years without warping so far....touch wood :good:

Cheers Phill 

Another update :)

I have now added quite a bit of detail to the structure including gutters barge boards & a rather fetching entrance canopy which has been kit bashed from Heljan scrap. I then painted the whole structure with PVA & chucked sand at it !!! :O.........

post-6992-0-50640900-1414260401_thumb.jpg

Lets hope it stays stuck as I quite like the texture this has given it, quite a nice representation of pebble dash I hope. If anyone has any good ideas on sealing it, then please feel free :)

Cheers Phill 

• Like 7

Keith

Hi Keith,

It's usually prudent to layer up the plastikard with equal thicknesses of the material - dont ask me how I know!

One can use one of the foam-cores as a basis, or even thin ply, and then just use embossed plastikard or other ontop.

The station building is progressing nicely & today I made a start on the roof. I decided to make the roof  removable so that I can access the working lights..

attachicon.gifBuilding5.jpg

Once I was happy with the fit & overall proportions I made some chimneys from scrap plasticard & set to putting slates on the roof........

attachicon.gifbuilding9.jpg

I also made some ridge tiles & detailed the chimneys using more scraps of plasticard & some sections of drinking straws for chimney pots..,,,

attachicon.gifbuilding7.jpg

& finally when all this work was done I couldn't resist trying the part completed building in it's location.....

attachicon.gifbuilding6.jpg

It looks great Phill, nice and pragmatic - wow fast work!

Another update :)

I have now added quite a bit of detail to the structure including gutters barge boards & a rather fetching entrance canopy which has been kit bashed from Heljan scrap. I then painted the whole structure with PVA & chucked sand at it !!! :O.........

attachicon.gifbuilding-001.jpg

Lets hope it stays stuck as I quite like the texture this has given it, quite a nice representation of pebble dash I hope. If anyone has any good ideas on sealing it, then please feel free :)

Cheers Phill

I shall watch with interest - nice idea.

There are textured paints from several manufacturers (in rattle cans), if it doesnt stay stuck, try mixing cheap talc with your preferred colour of Humbrol enamels.

Kindest to all,

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

Thanks for the replies Phill & CME. Being inherently lazy I think I'll try the re-inforced single layer approach first! The layout is basically a 'test piece' anyway, so it's not intended to be too permanent in any case.

ATB

Keith

• Like 1

The station building is now painted & looking better I hope :yes: . This was done using mainly a mix of Games Workshop & The Works Acrylics, the pebble dash took a few goes to get the right shades I was wanting, but I think I'm happy with it now..........

post-6992-0-50906100-1414971485_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-43563100-1414971463_thumb.jpg

The next job will be to paint the chimneys & to add windows, doors & drainpipes :)

Phill 

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Top stuff Phill as always.

Since the last time we spoke I bit the bullet and bought my first 7mm loco. A rather nice detailed version of a Heljan Hymek, D7051 blue small yellow panel with blue windows. Would look nice in your garden!

Neil

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Yes I'll post it, loco in Bristol at the moment. The sheer size of a 7mm model is very impressive, I decided against the HJ Western, I can't live with the misplaced headcode, it looks great in every other department though.

Neil

• Like 1

But with the return of my radio control Western & Warship chassis, I think  I may be distracted  :yes: .....

Cheers Phill

Loving the scenic work Phill, but please tell us more about the r/c chassis......very exciting development. What speed controller and batteries are you using? I'm assuming it'll be a 2.4ghz r/c system, but I'd love to know more. Oh yes, and Highflyer looks fantastic too......just how I remember the few remaining tatty green Warships at Newton Abbot. Lovely!

David

• Like 1

Loving the scenic work Phill, but please tell us more about the r/c chassis......very exciting development. What speed controller and batteries are you using? I'm assuming it'll be a 2.4ghz r/c system, but I'd love to know more. Oh yes, and Highflyer looks fantastic too......just how I remember the few remaining tatty green Warships at Newton Abbot. Lovely!

David

Hi David, 

After initial experiments with the Red Arrow  http://www.redarrowcontrol.co.uk/  (Radio Control Version) on my Hybrid Hymek.................

post-6992-0-82906000-1415048104_thumb.jpg

details can be found here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91614-phills-hydraulic-era-workbench-radio-control-hybrid-hymek/ , I have now gone ahead with two more chassis using this system (one Western & one Warship). These three chassis will be used with multiple loco bodies in order to keep cost down on my limited budget for now. The Hymek chassis can be used to  power four different Hymeks, the Warship chassis will power three Warships & the Western Chassis will power two Westerns.

All these loco's also have separate conventional 2 rail DC chassis too, so for example I will be able to operate one R/C Hymek at the same time as a conventional 2 rail Hymek.........although TBH all my loco's could end up R/C as funds permit, as I absolutely love this method of control.

Cheers Phill 

• Like 4