Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

I have always liked the idea of extra bodies sharing a chassis which I think you've done with warships before? I bought two peaks in the end as I really wanted green and blue but would have happily compromised on one (filthy) chassis to save a fair bit.

Yes Hal at present I have  4 Warships  3 Westerns &  5 Hymeks sharing three respective chassis, but I do have plans to duplicate all three chassis so two of each class can run at any one time....

Yes Hal at present I have  4 Warships  3 Westerns &  5 Hymeks sharing three respective chassis, but I do have plans to duplicate all three chassis so two of each class can run at any one time....

Hi Phill....

Loving the idea of sharing chassis to keep costs down...as long as bodies are available.

There seems to have been a lot of people elsewhere picking up spares bodies....

Are they readily available from Heljan?

Couldn't make Telford again due to FINAL oncall commitments....now at an end due to pending full retirement :-).

Also, I recall mentioning to you elsewhere that my Heljan Class 47 now runs on one motor and you were anxious to try running one Heljan motor on a RC battery setup. The chassis is still very heavy obviously, but did you experiment?

Randall

Neither CME  :no:  .......JLTRT Cellulose straight over the original paint!!!     :secret:

Wow thats great coverage-yellow is a so and so to paint. Lucky that the cellulose didnt react with the HJ top coat too?  

I'm not that quick CME , I built the chassis for a much modified Skytrex body   :banghead:  :scratchhead:

Ahh, gotcha......Im still keen, as mentioned, to fettle my HJs down to one motor each as I have a trunk/branchline trains. Most of my stock is weighted plastic.....I will need to have a loco pull three brass coaches though.

ATVB

CME

Hi Phill....

Loving the idea of sharing chassis to keep costs down...as long as bodies are available.

There seems to have been a lot of people elsewhere picking up spares bodies....

Are they readily available from Heljan?

Couldn't make Telford again due to FINAL oncall commitments....now at an end due to pending full retirement :-).

Also, I recall mentioning to you elsewhere that my Heljan Class 47 now runs on one motor and you were anxious to try running one Heljan motor on a RC battery setup. The chassis is still very heavy obviously, but did you experiment?

Randall

Yes these bodies have been very useful for me .

Shame you missed out on Telford Randy as it is always a great weekend .......we go every year .

No experimentation as yet with single Heljan bogie loco's yet at my end, although I will be fitting RC to Falcon's better low amp's chassis. 

Yes these bodies have been very useful for me .

Shame you missed out on Telford Randy as it is always a great weekend .......we go every year .

No experimentation as yet with single Heljan bogie loco's yet at my end, although I will be fitting RC to Falcon's better low amp's chassis. 

Phill, have you anyway of verifying the exact amperage of these new Heljan motors?

ATVB

CME

Phill, have you anyway of verifying the exact amperage of these new Heljan motors?

ATVB

CME

No but if you trawl the internet you may find a answer, the guy on the test track said my Falcon was drawing less than a amp though.

Hi Phill,

Looks like you had a good shopping spree at the Telford show. Your Peak is looking very good I really need to do more to mine.

Cheers Peter.

Look forward to seeing yours Peter :)

No but if you trawl the internet you may find a answer, the guy on the test track said my Falcon was drawing less than a amp though.
Hi Phill,

Thanks. IIRC, all my HJs draw less than an amp-1amp, under normal conditions (they will run on a OO/HO transformer) its the stall rate rate that is high....

ATVB

CME

Hymeks used to draw 2.5 amps I believe ?  :O

Thats what Ive heard Phill, yet Ive also heard 1.0-1.5 amps. I guess that the Hymeks-being the first 7mm HJ loco-could have less efficient motors? Confussing aint it!

Later loco's use less amps CME & Falcon is lower still I think, but if it proves too thirsty with battery power I will either run on one motor bogie or run on one re-motored bogie :)

The Falcon chassis is quite different to previous 35,47 & 33 loco's I've owned in that I believe the motors are central with shafts driving the bogies .

Look forward to seeing yours Peter :)

Interesting...when I bought my Heljan Class 47 from the E&T stall at Doncaster, both gear trains were seized, but the chap in charge of the test track said it was only pulling 1.5amps...that's BOTH motors with the controller maxxed.

I've since removed a motor/gears from one bogie and the loco runs very sweetly...on what amperage?.... I don't know.

Must be less???!!!! Within RC tolerances???

Randall

• Like 1

Later loco's use less amps CME & Falcon is lower still I think, but if it proves too thirsty with battery power I will either run on one motor bogie or run on one re-motored bogie :)

The Falcon chassis is quite different to previous 35,47 & 33 loco's I've owned in that I believe the motors are central with shafts driving the bogies .

Hi Phill,

Yes my Warship is powered in a similar way now.

We shall have to see how it all pans out....

ATVB

CME

Interesting...when I bought my Heljan Class 47 from the E&T stall at Doncaster, both gear trains were seized, but the chap in charge of the test track said it was only pulling 1.5amps...that's BOTH motors with the controller maxxed.

I've since removed a motor/gears from one bogie and the loco runs very sweetly...on what amperage?.... I don't know.

Must be less???!!!! Within RC tolerances???

Randall

I would think that you would be drawing a amp or less Randy, so probably quite long running hours between RC charging :)

Re the single motor topic.

All the Heljan locos on our layout Invermire have been converted to single motor drive and they run quite happily though admittedly they only pull a maximum of 4 coaches at a time. One benefit is that they are OK running on the standard Loksound decoder (as used in 4mm scale models) so saves the added expense of using the XL decoders.

On some locos we have used a PRMRP bogie etch for the non powered bogie, on others we have retained the Heljan bogie but removed the motor and intermediate idler gears.

Note I gather someone just removed the motor but left all the gears in place, which at some point locked up and the siezed wheels were dragged along by the powered bogie!

Love the weathering on 'Nobleman' Phill, very nice... I take it you're fitting plates from Sevenmill..? Do they come prepainted with 'polished' beading / names / numbers or unpainted..?

'Courier' is doing a couple of trips on the Valley tomorrow, I'm off up there for a fix  ;)

Edited by Rugd1022