Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Yes I'll post it, loco in Bristol at the moment. The sheer size of a 7mm model is very impressive, I decided against the HJ Western, I can't live with the misplaced headcode, it looks great in every other department though.

Neil

Yes Neil I agree, I had saved up for the Heljan Western, but upon seeing it I decided against it too........personally if I was in the market for another Western at that sort of money I would go for the JLTRT one, altough I may be more tempted by Falcon, if funds permit.

Phill :)

Hi Phill,

Hi David, 

After initial experiments with the Red Arrow  http://www.redarrowcontrol.co.uk/  (Radio Control Version) on my Hybrid Hymek.................

attachicon.gif20140406_182452.jpg

details can be found here  http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/91614-phills-hydraulic-era-workbench-radio-control-hybrid-hymek/ , I have now gone ahead with two more chassis using this system (one Western & one Warship). These three chassis will be used with multiple loco bodies in order to keep cost down on my limited budget for now. The Hymek chassis can be used to  power four different Hymeks, the Warship chassis will power three Warships & the Western Chassis will power two Westerns.

All these loco's also have separate conventional 2 rail DC chassis too, so for example I will be able to operate one R/C Hymek at the same time as a conventional 2 rail Hymek.........although TBH all my loco's could end up R/C as funds permit, as I absolutely love this method of control.

Cheers Phill 

Loving the progress with the RC locos - are you getting Steve to wire them all up for you? - like the way too that you are doing it in stages.

Yes Neil I agree, I had saved up for the Heljan Western, but upon seeing it I decided against it too........personally if I was in the market for another Western at that sort of money I would go for the JLTRT one, altough I may be more tempted by Falcon, if funds permit.

The Western looked okay, yet I had to decide that the price, vs some issues with the HJ version, vs the eventual size of the station area for Down Ampney that I would rather wait for a Warship and/or 24/25 - time will tell though.

Was around and about the B&H today and caught sight of a nice long agregate train with a Cl66 up front - I love loco haulage, such a rarity these days!

TTFN,

CME

• Like 1

I still think the quality you get from Heljan is good enough to overlook the few glaring errors or do as Brian Daneils has done and move them. Personally I can live with them as I like to watch moving trains not scrutinise them. If they look good as far as I am concerned they are good. I have just obtained a 40 and the write up on it was pretty poor. Complaints that the loco does not go through peco points because of the back to back measurements and the curvature of the nose is wrong. When I compared it with the JLTRT one yes it does look different but it's tolerable.

• Like 1

Hi Phill,

Just caught up with your last few postings.

The station building is looking excellent. You have done a really great job and the painting has really brought it to life.

I too have made forward progress on the radio controlled front. I have just left one of my westerns at his house for work . :no:

Rob

• Like 1

Hi Phill,

The station building is looking excellent. You have done a really great job and the painting has really brought it to life.

I too have made forward progress on the radio controlled front. I have just left one of my westerns at his house for work . :no:

Rob

Glad to see your getting one of the Westerns done, I have been  tweaking the Western  R/C chassis after work today & yesterday the Warships have all been running on the R/C chassis.

post-6992-0-97875000-1415218831_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

Have they decided on prices for the Warship & 25?..........Heljan are getting quite expensive IMO :scratchhead:

No Phill both 'TBA'. I agree, when I Iooked at some old receipts - doscovered down the back of the filing cabinet - 6-7 years ago comparable HJ locos were half the price that they are now, but then so was Deluxe Materials' cyano! I wont bore with the reasons as to why (or the excuses used by the manufactureres/TPTB).

I still think the quality you get from Heljan is good enough to overlook the few glaring errors or do as Brian Daneils has done and move them. Personally I can live with them as I like to watch moving trains not scrutinise them. If they look good as far as I am concerned they are good. I have just obtained a 40 and the write up on it was pretty poor. Complaints that the loco does not go through peco points because of the back to back measurements and the curvature of the nose is wrong. When I compared it with the JLTRT one yes it does look different but it's tolerable.

Hi Ian, by and large I agree. Heljan is okay - as you know, I have several myself and wish I had bought another Hymek at £150-199 - but HJ said that they had sorted the gearbox problems by the Cl33, IIRC Mike still had problems with his (I know it's a quick fix and tolerable at £250-£350 price point, yet not, perhaps, at current prices). I hope for everyone's sake that they have sorted it all now. Certainly their price point is well in JLTRT territory now - the advantage is that they are RTR. Im with Phill that I am, over time, going to fettle/detail mine. I am also leaning towards kits as they can be motored to my spec and then RC'd - either using Steve Leyland's system or DCC et al. I have to say, that out of the box all my HJ's seem to run very well, straight back in the boxes though as Down Ampney lumbers on LOL!

Hi Phill,

Rob

I agree Rob. Phill's layout is an inspiration!

BTW is there an extra charge for fitting of the RC gear?

Back on topic now.

ATVB to you all,

CME

PS It's really great to have us four having a model railway discussion that relates to our type of modelling - all very refreshing and fun! - lets hope others soon join in too.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 1

PS It's really great to have us four having a model railway discussion that relates to our type of modelling - all very refreshing and fun! - lets hope others soon join in too.

Absolutely !  :friends:

No more pics today, although I have been busy adjusting the chassis for D1041, so that hopefully D1054 can share this chassis in Radio Control mode :scratchhead: .......I have also painted some rather nice Omen LSWR platform benches & some Skytrex ones too, then my long suffering passengers will at least have somewhere to sit while they wait for a ride behind D1041 Western Prince    :yahoo:  

Hopefully a few more pics to follow soon :)

Cheers Phill 

• Like 1

Hi :)

Just a couple of pics to add ........

D1041 Western Prince, I'm still messing about with the chassis for this one  :scratchhead:

post-6992-0-70767800-1415392157.jpg

& those 'Omen' whitemetal bench kits I mentioned in my last post, they have been primed & given a coat of Games Workshop green ........

post-6992-0-30396900-1415392215_thumb.jpg

I am very pleased with these & I will get some more of them.......incidentally having searched everywhere for 7mm concrete station nameboards without success :dontknow: , I scatchbuilt the one in the pic from plasticard  scrap & some Slater's plastic letters  :)

Phill  :good:

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Great to see more progress Phill.

The station building is especially effective, it looks just right and by the time you have finished painting it will be utterly believable.

The station name board and seat are great too.

Bee - Baarp!

Great to see more progress Phill.The station building is especially effective, it looks just right and by the time you have finished painting it will be utterly believable.The station name board and seat are great too.Bee - Baarp!

Great to hear from you on here :)

Afraid I have got a little distracted by the prospect of R/C Westerns & Warships, but I will finish the station building as soon as they are done.

Really pleased you like the station so far though, as I always value your advice & opinions on the Withercome line

Cheers Phill :)

• Like 1

Hi :)

Just a couple of pics to add ........

D1041 Western Prince, I'm still messing about with the chassis for this one  :scratchhead:

attachicon.gif1041.jpg

& those 'Omen' whitemetal bench kits I mentioned in my last post, they have been primed & given a coat of Games Workshop green ........

attachicon.gifWithercombe bench.jpg

I am very pleased with these & I will get some more of them.......incidentally having searched everywhere for 7mm concrete station nameboards without success :dontknow: , I scatchbuilt the one in the pic from plasticard  scrap & some Slater's plastic letters  :)

Phill  :good:

Hi Phill,

I thought that someone did the signs - yet cant remember whom, so will keep my eyes open for you.

Yours look very effective though (to the point that I was going to ask where you got them from!).

Kindest,

CME

My next victim for the coal yard is this ....

attachicon.gifCoal mans lorry.jpg

Basically it's a Corgi articulated road tanker cab mated to a old scratchbuilt flat back lorry. There is still a lot to do on the conversion, but hopefully you can get  then general idea :)

Phill

Great layout and pictures!

By the way, as a keen Dinky enthusiast (amongst other things) I feel duty bound to point out that the AEC cab is in fact from Dinky Toys and not their arch rival Corgi! It was used as part of a flatbed lorry, a petrol tanker and a car transporter model released between 1964 and 1976. It's 1/42 scale so almost perfect for O gauge.

• Like 1

Great layout and pictures!

By the way, as a keen Dinky enthusiast (amongst other things) I feel duty bound to point out that the AEC cab is in fact from Dinky Toys and not their arch rival Corgi! It was used as part of a flatbed lorry, a petrol tanker and a car transporter model released between 1964 and 1976. It's 1/42 scale so almost perfect for O gauge.

Thanks for that Andyman7, what a pity the current crop of lorry's are 1/50 rather than 1/43, I love the Corgi Classics range of cars too, as you may have noticed from the over-populated station car park  :D ..........I have toyed with the idea of a Motor Rail service as an excuse for more 1970's classics :sungum:

Cheers Phill :)

• RMweb Gold

That looks really nice Neil :sungum:  ....I think that I may have got a little carried away with Hymeks, my rosta is D7013GFYE, D7017BFYE,  D7022BFYE, D7036BSYP & D7054GSYP  :O  :D

You can never have enough Hymeks (well perhaps 102. :)), it's the only loco I have in the three major gauges.

Neil

• Like 2