Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Re the single motor topic.

All the Heljan locos on our layout Invermire have been converted to single motor drive and they run quite happily though admittedly they only pull a maximum of 4 coaches at a time. One benefit is that they are OK running on the standard Loksound decoder (as used in 4mm scale models) so saves the added expense of using the XL decoders.

On some locos we have used a PRMRP bogie etch for the non powered bogie, on others we have retained the Heljan bogie but removed the motor and intermediate idler gears.

Note I gather someone just removed the motor but left all the gears in place, which at some point locked up and the siezed wheels were dragged along by the powered bogie!

I was going to do the PRMRP bogie & Heljan bogie combo on my Crompton Mike, but it looks like I have sold it, so I will be building up my kit instead .  I will probably do the single motor bogie treatment  with my 47 instead :)

My present fleet as you know are single motor bogie powered & cope easily with full length trains  :locomotive:

Love the weathering on 'Nobleman' Phill, very nice... I take it you're fitting plates from Sevenmill..? Do they come prepainted with 'polished' beading / names / numbers or unpainted..?

'Courier' is doing a couple of trips on the Valley tomorrow, I'm off up there for a fix  ;)

I will get some Shawplan plates from Brian at Warley I think Nidge as I already have these on D1041 & D1054 & I'm quite happy with them   :good:

I would love to spend quality time with D1062 again, but I won't be able to make it this time unfortunately  :keeporder:  

Re the single motor topic.

All the Heljan locos on our layout Invermire have been converted to single motor drive and they run quite happily though admittedly they only pull a maximum of 4 coaches at a time. One benefit is that they are OK running on the standard Loksound decoder (as used in 4mm scale models) so saves the added expense of using the XL decoders.

On some locos we have used a PRMRP bogie etch for the non powered bogie, on others we have retained the Heljan bogie but removed the motor and intermediate idler gears.

Note I gather someone just removed the motor but left all the gears in place, which at some point locked up and the siezed wheels were dragged along by the powered bogie!

Hi,

Thanks for that info, it's really useful. Would you have any photos of how the gear train looks with the intermediate gears removed please?

Ive always felt that HJ locos were over powered/engineered/complicated. But TBF to HJ, they had to cover all eventualities with twin motors and gears. Having said that with six coupled wheels driven most mainline steam outline locos have a single Mashima and gearbox and pull full length trains.

ATVB

CME

My diesel locos are currently powered on all wheels except for my railmotor.

While they will run a train on my nominally level layout they would often need a push start on a couple of the tests I have done with a single powered bogie. Being made of plastic and with not much weight doesn't help. A single traction tyre would transform the tractive effort of a loco powered on only one bogie as has be shown in various scales over the years , however I have not looked at that option.

What I will be doing is continuing a practice from HO and making some locos dummies. One well performing loco can be mu-ed with a variety of others. This also saves expense with motors, gears and decoders :>)

regards

Bob

Do you have any operational RC loco's CME?

Hi Phill,

No, not yet, only the test loco.

Ive a couple of RC cars and boats though! LoL!

Been focusing on other stuff, but Im thinking that my HJ Warship Kit (LOL!) and Hall would be a good place to start.....those or a Hymek.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

I will get some Shawplan plates from Brian at Warley I think Nidge as I already have these on D1041 & D1054 & I'm quite happy with them   :good:

I would love to spend quality time with D1062 again, but I won't be able to make it this time unfortunately  :keeporder:  

Cheers Phill. Alas I got my dates mixed up for some reason, 1062 wasn't running today it was 50 031 instead. 1062 is doing a five day stint at the end of the month though.

Cheers Phill. Alas I got my dates mixed up for some reason, 1062 wasn't running today it was 50 031 instead. 1062 is doing a five day stint at the end of the month though.

That's tempting Nidge  :sungum:

Hi Phill,

No, not yet, only the test loco.

Ive a couple of RC cars and boats though! LoL!

Been focusing on other stuff, but Im thinking that my HJ Warship Kit (LOL!) and Hall would be a good place to start.....those or a Hymek.

Atvb

CME

Is that the Micromotive test loco?

• Like 1

Having spent the last couple of hours cutting 18 individual pieces of gazing to a perfect interference fit & glued them all in position I'm feeling a little stir crazy lol....think it was worth it, but time off for a break now I think......

attachicon.gifNOB.JPG

Nice work Phill!

A couple of hours?! Thats good going! I always end up having to do glazing over and over to get it done. Nice n neat work on your part.

ATVB

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

A little more work today on my class 45 project & as you can see from the pic she now has an identity as 45145...

attachicon.gif45145.JPG

Hi Phill,

The Peak is looking good but are you sure you want a 45/1? They had the steps welded up not plated and there is a roof mod too.

Cheers Peter.

Hi Ph

Hi Pete, Could you show me pics of the mods you mean please ? :)

Hi Phill,

When the 45/s were fitted with ETH the plated over steps on the side were welded up so the side is flush. See pic below. The boiler section on the roof was change too. I did the mod on my 4mm peaks. Hopefully the pic below will show the difference.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-24816400-1506599935.jpg

post-7022-0-91411900-1506600035_thumb.jpg

post-7022-0-50312500-1506600096_thumb.jpg