Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Hi Phill,

Re the Darsted coaches, Id hold yer horses, if I were you. I know theyre still going through the EP stage, but the bogies, underframes and bogie position all look 'off' at the time of writing. They may come good, the bodies look good and some come with later window frames, but if the U/Fs n bogies are awful.....IMHHO, they wont be worth the money.....if thats rectified, then a great product RTR (at last). Im tempted myself, but Im super detailing Limas so I shall plough on for now.

A RTR CL22 would be great. I have a Ruston 48 LLC loco on order....if its as good as the first release and the CL22 is too, then a thumbs up from me. All I can see is frothing at the mo though, so Im staying clear of that LMAO!

ATVB,

M.

When I travelled up 't north in the 1980s (1986-1992) for work - stayed at a hotel Ramsbottom quite a few times - the ELR wasnt even there and gradually track, locos and stock started to appear...seems like yesterday! Scary getting oldish!

I know - 2004 "many years ago"..??!! No it isn't; it was quite recent in fact :mad: oh, hang on... :O :(

I know - 2004 "many years ago"..??!! No it isn't; it was quite recent in fact :mad: oh, hang on... :O :(

I know....in rly modelling terms our H&BLR has been up since 2002, seems like 5 mins ago, yet it's 15 yrs! Amazing how time flies! Lord knows when Down Ampney will get finished.....I will have moved by then?

Back in 1980s & 1990s things-although I wasnt aware of it back then-were a LOT simpler!

Phill how long has WB been running for?

ATVB

M.

Picked up a Slaters BR brake van in a dubious livery at Warley yesterday for the princely sum of £25 & after half an hour with the Fiberglass pen we have the beginnings of a rather nice BR brake van............

post-6992-0-47744900-1511723530_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-23014900-1511723539_thumb.jpg

Phill how long has WB been running for?

About 17 or 18 years now  :locomotive:

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Over the last few weeks I have been improving Withercombe' s fleet of BR Mk1 coaches . I have been concentrating on the 14 modified Lima MK1's. All 14 have had their roofs replaced & detailed, this is a on going project, but here are a few pics of the progress so far....

post-6992-0-54117400-1514397796_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-19858500-1514397805_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-17940000-1514397813_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-80801400-1514397824_thumb.jpg

post-6992-0-70307400-1514397834_thumb.jpg

I have also decided to populate the coaches & so I have painted my first 50 passengers......

post-6992-0-92254900-1514397847_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Over the last few weeks I have been improving Withercombe' s fleet of BR Mk1 coaches . I have been concentrating on the 14 modified Lima MK1's. All 14 have had their roofs replaced & detailed, this is a on going project, but here are a few pics of the progress so far....

attachicon.gifmk1 2.JPG

attachicon.gifmk1 4.JPG

attachicon.gifmk2 3.JPG

attachicon.gifmk1 1.JPG

attachicon.gifmk1 5.JPG

I have also decided to populate the coaches & so I have painted my first 50 passengers......

attachicon.giffig.JPG

Nice work Phill!

The Season's greetings too (I asked Ross to pass such on via our WA group too).

May I ask what make of passengers you are using?

Kindest regards,

CME

The ex Lima passenger Mk1's now have their water pipes & grab handles on their ends, these were scratchbuilt from stainless wire & Handrail nobs.
The coaches are running on a mix of ex Triang B4 & Easybuild Commonwealth bogies , so only the trussing & battery boxes left from the original Lima coaches now more or less.....

post-6992-0-78867000-1514550427_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

• 1 month later...

Just borrowed the latest O Gauge Guild Gazette from my son Robert and love the photos of your layout in it. Good to see diesel era modelling getting some coverage. Sadly as a non member myself I can't post onto the Guild's forum (or even look at it!) so my praise will have to suffice here  instead. Hopefully Rob will put a post onto the guild's forum.

Keep up the good work and good to meet up with you at the Pontefract Show.

Just borrowed the latest O Gauge Guild Gazette from my son Robert and love the photos of your layout in it. Good to see diesel era modelling getting some coverage. Sadly as a non member myself I can't post onto the Guild's forum (or even look at it!) so my praise will have to suffice here  instead. Hopefully Rob will put a post onto the guild's forum.

Keep up the good work and good to meet up with you at the Pontefract Show.

Thanks Mike, good to see you at Ponty & glad you enjoyed the article in the Gazette :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A new form of traction was trialed today on the Withercombe branch, after spending the morning wiring it, this Westdale Class 121 DMU is now controlled by Bluetooth & is driven using my mobile phone   :)[/size]

attachicon.gif20180506_173315.jpg[/size]

Just the weather for it, too!! Funny enough, I thought of your line today, when deciding whether or not to venture up in my loft earlier. Sanity & a cold beer in the garden prevailed... :blush:

Very nice Phill!

Can you explain-for those of us still in the stoneage-how bluetooth controls your DMU (I knew you were using such for sound) Phill?

Also what batteries did you go for to power the DMU and bluetooth?

ATVB

CME

It is basically a Bluetooth chip similar to a R/C chip between the batteries & the motor which is then driven by a phone app on my mobile.

The battery power is supplied by 9AAA cells :)

Just the weather for it, too!! Funny enough, I thought of your line today, when deciding whether or not to venture up in my loft earlier. Sanity & a cold beer in the garden prevailed... :blush:

I had to nip up to my loft for some tools for the DMU wire up this morning,I have that tinfoil/bubble wrap insulation stuff which keeps the temperature down a bit,but much nicer in the garden though :good: