Diesel Hydraulic Era O Gauge Garden Railway (Steve Beattie Class 22)

Hi guys,

Phill, can I be a pain and ask, on behalf of myself and others, if we could have some details/photos about the brilliant way in which you weather your locos - when you have time to that is.

ATVB

CME

You certainly can CME  :)........but only if you give us a guide to your superb wagon weathering techniques?  :sungum:

Phill  :D

Edited by Phill Dyson (onslaught832)
  • Like 2

I agree with Ross, good job on the sign and bench . Re lorries , don't forget the Dinky Tk its 1.43 remember the  yellow BR crew bus I bodged up a few years back.

wf

Yes your Crewbus gave me lots of inspiration  :fan: .......I hope you will post some stuff here (we seem to fit in here better these days) 

All the best

Phill :)

• Like 1

This summer earthworks around Burns Tunnel has seen a permanent way train stabled at Withercombe overnight. I managed to get some pics of it's departure for more work further down the branch...........

Wow cracking Phill, I am slowly getting there with my Pt Way Stock and your train is just how I have envisioned it should be!

ATVB

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher
  • Like 2

Thanks CME, I have enjoyed putting the PW train together & will post more details on it's construction as time permits......like most of my projects it has been a very low budget affair using other people's junk lol.

I have not forgot about the weathering guide eithet, I will post details soon.

Could you provide a link to your wagon weathering details too?

All the best

• Like 1

Thanks CME, I have enjoyed putting the PW train together & will post more details on it's construction as time permits......like most of my projects it has been a very low budget affair using other people's junk lol.

I have not forgot about the weathering guide eithet, I will post details soon.

Could you provide a link to your wagon weathering details too?

All the best

Hi Phill,

Thanks - looking forward to seeing more! - as you know I model to a budget too, so lots of SH and damaged/discounted models that take hours to fettle and make good (and are whittled and fettled so as to make them all look a little more FS).

Where would you like me to Post weathering type stuff?

I have written a few articles on such which have been published in the mainstream mags over the years and there are one or two more pending if the Editor's are happy with them. I have also written about such here and 'elsewhere' on Internet. I was wondering, although I hate reading such when in mags. if a Q&A thing might help as I dont know where to start LOL! I am not very good at 'step by step and photo by photo' as that ruins the creative flow and whilst I sort of know what I am doing, I also have happy accidents from time to time, so some projects/models turn out a little different than I first envisaged. LOL!

Let me get the Engine Shed and Brake Tender finished first too! ;-)

Besides it seems as though you DONT need any hints and tips on weathering as you models always look great!

ATVB

CME

Great video Phill,

I notice you still have an H&M Duette in use. I still have one which I use for powering points on Llanbourne. It would have to be nearly 40 years old.

Cheers Peter.

• Like 1

It would be great if you could post details of how you weathered that rusty mineral of yours including underframes?......perhaps on your workbench? :)

Hi Phill,

Yes I could do that - I was keeping all my work under the Down Ampney Thread, yet I could dedicate a Thread to specific techniques, as you know I am sorting out my Threads and hope to add one on dad's a mine H&BLR as well as other work. As I said I will get the BT and ES finished first.

Thanks for your enthusiasm and support.

Great video Phill,

I notice you still have an H&M Duette in use. I still have one which I use for powering points on Llanbourne. It would have to be nearly 40 years old.

Cheers Peter.

+ 1

I still have a Duette too, a robust bit of kit, mine is still nigh on immaculate, apart from a big dent at one end, when as a 10 year old (IIRC) I dropped it (from 4'-5' up) - those were the days, Railway Modeller, playing with Tri-ang, Hornby and Lima trains on my 8 x 4 layout (unfinished) even back then I had started to weather my models - rivet counting was not the main consideration.

ATVB to you both,

CME

I still have a Duette too, a robust bit of kit, mine is still nigh on immaculate, apart from a big dent at one end, when as a 10 year old (IIRC) I dropped it (from 4'-5' up)

Martin I didn't realise they has electrickey when you were 10 i thought you still used candles and a clockwork key. :jester:

says ducking behind Phill, Rob ,Ross and Marsa. :stinker:

Martin I didn't realise they had Electrickery when you were 10 I thought you still used candles and a winding key said ducking behind Phill, Rob, Ross and Marsa

Edited by iploffy
  • Like 1

Great video Phill,

Cheers Peter.

My recollection of the one the Reverend used for his garden line was that, if you ran the trains slowly enough, the heat from the resistance mat was enough to heat the shed....

• Like 1

A few more pics of the line this time featuring D824 Highflyer, this loco is modeled circa 1969 when she was the last GSYP Swindon Warship running........

post-6992-0-02686200-1416947654.jpg

& a couple more of D1041 Western Prince in the condition that I remember her......

post-6992-0-00203800-1416947628.png

D1041 Western Prince again, this time approaching Burns Tunnel.......

post-6992-0-73161800-1416947675.png 

Cheers Phill :)

• Like 11

Great pics Phill.

Can you tell me which Warships were the last in green. Dont want to do Highflyer as you have done it so a couple of others to give me a choice would be great. Anything from 1968 onwards.

Rob :no:

Hi Rob :)

Six of the class retained green in to 1969

D810 Cockade

D824 Highfyer,

D833 Panther

D845  Sprightly

D852  Tenacious

D854  Tiger

D808 Centaur & D810 Cockade were the only two to receive full yellow ends while still green.........I think D810 was the last Swindon build of all to retain green & was painted blue in May 1970 (I have some spare Cockade plates if you want them)

D845 Sprightly was the last I think to be painted from GSYP  to blue in February 1970

PS My next one will probably be D832 Onslaugth MFYE.....although I also fancy D815 Druid & 829 Magpie (829 which was reinstated from withdrawal  & ran for a while without plates)  :sungum: