Games Workshop washes range

Just wondered if anyone has used any of the Games Workshop washes?

I popped in for a brush and spotted a small range of acrylic washes in the paints section.

The chap behind the counter showed me a tank moel that had been painted up and then he ran a brush full of a similar coloured wash over the top, the result was almost immediate, the transparent colour toned down the base colour and the pigment gathered around the rivet detail, it was almost dry in around 5 minutes as well.

I purchased a couple of pots in some strange outlandish names but in a nut shell, black and frame dirt !!!

I have not had time to try them yet, anybody used them with good results??

Rergards Paul

I have tried them on some N gauge wagons with quite promising results. They are designed to add shading and as such are fairyl thick, the idea is that they create a range of shadows rather than sinking straight into the cracks like a thinner ink wash. I will try to post some pictures but I was fairly pleased with the initial result. I suspect they would actually work better in 4mm scale as this is closer to the scale GW model in. 148:1 was a bit fine.

"Devlan Mud" is a very good general dirt colour but I can see blends with black and green working well too.

The Emperor also provides numerous other useful acrylic paints, chaos black spray cans are great for underframes etc because they give a very dirty looking matt black, which is a good base for weathering, or you can just leave it as it. A drybrush of boltgun metal on the edge of steps etch give a good impression of paint worn through and metal polished by feet. They also do some good earth tones which give a good impression of rust, but the bizarre names escape me at the moment. Also the GW pin-chuck is the best I have ever bought and the easiest to use on account of the handy rest that sites in your hand and allows you to turn the chuck without chewing the palm of your hand.

Death or Glory!

Indeed, the citdel paint range has some great colours if you can get over the sci-fi/fantasy names. "Graveyard Earth" is a great dusty brown colour which is perfect for exposed soil. If I were doing a largish area I would probably take it to a DIY store and mix up some emulsion to match but the colours are very good.

• RMweb Gold

My brother does GW and today showed me a model he did using washes. The results look very good, specially considering he's not usually too good at painting (and doesn't mind admitting it. :) )

I bought a range of the regular GW paints after seeing CraigWelsh's PO wagon thread. Bestial Brown looks like a good potential for a dark rust.

Thanks for all the replys. I have now had chance to use the paint and can report positively about it. The wash that I have used is called Gryponne Sepia and it offers a nice deep brown highlight around the details when appllied over Railmatch frame dirt. I have also found that when washed over bodyside grills the result is most pleasing to my eye.

Results can be seen in my gallery or in my thread on tamiya powders.

Usual disclaimer applies that I am nothing more than a satisfied customer.

Regards Paul

Another vote for Devlan mud here - I've used it on GW stuff and railway models and it's very handy. It looks oddly greasy when wet, but seems to lose that when dry. I've got some older Flesh Wash which is great for simple rusting of details - e.g. applied neat with a fine brush on the steps and handrail here:

weathered-mta-13.jpg

The foundation paints are worth a look too - they look far too thick, almost gelid, but they don't seem to obscure detail when dry and cover better than any paint I've used. The downside is the small range of colours.

Will

Yes, the Foundation range are pretty good. The colour range tends towards the muted rather than the bright and I find them good for scenic work. There are a couple of grey, brown and tan shades in particular that look very promising for stonework etc. They do indeed cover exceptionally well.

Another vote for Devlan mud here - I've used it on GW stuff and railway models and it's very handy. It looks oddly greasy when wet, but seems to lose that when dry.

GW paints do have a satin finish when dry so a coat of something like Testors Dullcote is probably a good thing to finish them off with for railway work.

I've got some older Flesh Wash which is great for simple rusting of details - e.g. applied neat with a fine brush on the steps and handrail here:

weathered-mta-13.jpg

Nice weathering there Will. Is the dirt on the main body drybrushed or airbrushed? Is it a an existing colour or did you mix it yourself? Looks good either way. :)

Another vote for Devlan mud here - I've used it on GW stuff and railway models and it's very handy. It looks oddly greasy when wet, but seems to lose that when dry. I've got some older Flesh Wash which is great for simple rusting of details - e.g. applied neat with a fine brush on the steps and handrail here:

weathered-mta-13.jpg

The foundation paints are worth a look too - they look far too thick, almost gelid, but they don't seem to obscure detail when dry and cover better than any paint I've used. The downside is the small range of colours.

Will

Is that the "Ogryn Flesh" wash - the only flesh one listed on the web site.

Is the dirt on the main body drybrushed or airbrushed? Is it a an existing colour or did you mix it yourself? Looks good either way. :)

Thanks! It's a mixture of acrylic washes (mostly dilute Tamiya buff and GW black ink I think) with a brush painted (raw umber artists acrylic maybe?) underframe, MIG powders, and gentle dry brushing. No airbrush though - I don't have one. It's a bit heavy on different techniques since it was one of the first ones I did and I was basically having a good play with all my toys? :) See here for more details and to see some of the steps.

I think it's an older one - they revised the paint range a couple of years ago and it may have gone then. It's labelled "Flesh Wash 61-76" and it's in the new style clear pot with a black lid - possibly the same stuff? If it's a wash and red-brown I reckon it'd still work for rusting.

Will? 

I think it's an older one - they revised the paint range a couple of years ago and it may have gone then. It's labelled "Flesh Wash 61-76" and it's in the new style clear pot with a black lid - possibly the same stuff? If it's a wash and red-brown I reckon it'd still work for rusting.

These washes are rather different from the old inks which were water-thin. The washes have a consistency closer to washing-up liquid. Ogryn flesh and Devlan mud are probably both worth experimenting with.

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

I too have started using these washes. only used two colours so far, but worth trying a few more. Last time I went into my local store, most of the paints had been sold out! Must have been the boys buying and painting their orcs etc. Was a busy day in the shop. I have used a few of the other colours as well and am very pleased with the results. I will post some photos when I get chance to to take some photos of a few weathered wagons.

Don't be put off by the names of the paints! I would be useful to have a reference chart between what us railway modellers would refer to the colours and the paint names. Has anyone started anything like this?

Archived