Wirksworth quarry Steam loco's

18B

Further to my questiosn RE: the diesel shunters they had, I wondered about the steam loco's 

this page has pics of the two principle steam loco's in use in the 1960s

http://sutherland.davenportstation.org.uk/ws-162.html

just wondered what the best RTR and kit loco's to represent them were,

are they:

The Hornby Pug

http://www.themodelshop.ie/model-railways/locomotives/Hornby-r2927-br-pug-0-4-0-51235.html

and

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OO-Gauge-Hornby-R2672-Class-0F-Caledonian-039-Pug-039-0-4-0ST-Steam-Locomotive-/171102494797#ht_3643wt_989

or are there better loco's out there?

For the record, "HOLWELL No 3" was built by Black Hawthorn (BH 266/1873).  It was originally named "WELLINGTON"  and delivered to a contractor in Newcastle upon Tyne.  I can't find a builder's type, but with 3'2" diameter wheels and 12" (dia) x 19" (stroke) cylinders, BH built a number of locomotives with matching dimensions, which are described in issue no. 2 of the "Industrial Locomotive" (but not no. 266, unfortunately).

"UPPINGHAM" was built by Peckett (P 1257/1912), to the manufacturer's "R2" type and delivered to James Pain Ltd., Uppingham Ironstone Quarry, Rutland.  An official works portrait (broadside view) of the first locomotive built to this type appears in the recent album published by the Industrial Railway Society.

As the notes to the photographs say, both locomotives were rebuilt prior to their transfer to Wirksworth.

I don't know when these locos came to Wirksworth.  Previously, Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0ST 1611/1928 was delivered new there (and is the sole locomotive in an IRS 1947 list), but appears to have been withdrawn.in 1963.

I realise that this doesn't directly answer your question as I'm not that familiar with the models available, but I'm hoping it may help someone who is!

• Like 1

The short answer, assuming that like me you're not into kit building or heroic surgery, is that the "Smokey Joe" Caledonian puggy [your second option] is probably going to require more surgery than is worth the effort. 

On the other hand, if you don't tie yourself in knots counting the rivets the L&Y Pug is close enough to a Peckett to make a reasonable substitute, and anyway some of them were sold and from time to time hired into industry.

Uppingham is an R2 class Peckett - so a small 12'' cylinder design - much smaller than the forthcoming Agenoria kit. I would probably convert a Hornby Pug...

As mentioned, Holwell No.3 is available from High Level, but I am not sure if the short (non-standard) chimney it sported at Wirksworth is included. 

Both locos are preserved. Holwell No.3 was lucky (due to its celebrity status as the oldest industrial loco in operation, for a time) and went straight to preservation. Uppingham was stored in the open air by a dealer until a buyer was found (much later), its plate work has suffered as a result, and her motion is extremely warn. Luckily she was recently purchased by Rocks By Rail (formerly the Rutland Railway Museum), so her future is secured (she is one of the earliest standard gauge Ironstone quarry locomotives surviving).

Paul A. 

• 6 years later...

I know I am late with my response but I lived in Wirksworth from February 1976 to July 1981. I can remember walking from Steeple Grange to school everyday and passing the quarry where I would stop to look at the diesel. Then one morning I was surprised to see a steam engine and later saw it go pass my school (Wirksworth Primary) on the back of a flat bed (it was heading south on the road that led to Duffield.) I am pretty sure the one I saw was Howell No 3.

Does anyone know when it left Wirksworth, it would have been between 1976 and 1978, and where did this engine go?

• Informative/Useful 1