Postwar GWR Hall liveries

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
11 minutes ago, Garethp8873 said:

Keeping with the Wartime era liveries my latest..

For wartime, you could consider a weather sheet tucked under the cab roof. My grandfather used to tell the stories of his fireman getting the fire pricker stuck in the weather sheet, which had to be deployed on the small cab locos, at night so the Luftwaffe could not see the fire when the firehole door was open.

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 18/07/2019 at 10:35, Garethp8873 said:

Maindy Hall, repainted from lined Great Western green to wartime black, flack screens added from brass sheet embossed with fixings, etched plates from the Modelmaster range. 

Built Swindon:1929 Lot no 254 29/6/29

Repainted wartime black 18/6/43

Withdrawn 28/12/63, 

Converted at Didcot into 2999 Lady of Legend 2019

received_380750469311167.jpeg

received_420148745377655.jpeg

received_393807127912393.jpeg

received_347087549302563.jpeg

received_1257983407700928.jpeg

received_2267391370144529.jpeg

received_430219070911932.jpeg

Quick question, would the Hall have retained its brass safety valve and copper capped chimney or would they have been painted over?

6 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Quick question, would the Hall have retained its brass safety valve and copper capped chimney or would they have been painted over?

On gwr.org, I have  "... and it seems that safety valve covers were painted over", on the basis that the two pics (a Star and a King) of wartime livery in the Nock book show painted over safety valves and chimney tops. These are both green-bodied locos, but it seemed to me that if shiny metal was painted over for green, it would certainly have been painted over for an all-black scheme. Photo evidence may indicate a more complex situation. particularly when liveries began to normalise after mid-1945.

Edited by Miss Prism
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 3

Was the initial state of the cab windows of Modified Halls 6959-70 (lot 350 of 1944) cut out and plated, or not cut out?

I wonder because contemporary Collett Goods lot 347 of 1944-5 were not initially plated over, they were never cut out in the first place. I was amazed to see 2239 still in such a state as late as 1959:

2239-1959.jpg.60b18a543c2e4cdc0f4bfac156d89340.jpg

Edited by Miss Prism
image reinstated
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 4

• RMweb Premium
38 minutes ago, Miss Prism said:

On gwr.org, I have  "... and it seems that safety valve covers were painted over", on the basis that the two pics (a Star and a King) of wartime livery in the Nock book show painted over safety valves and chimney tops. These are both green-bodied locos, but it seemed to me that if shiny metal was painted over for green, it would certainly have been painted over for an all-black scheme. Photo evidence may indicate a more complex situation. particularly when liveries began to normalise after mid-1945.

Thank you, it's a bit confusing when there's a picture of a model that doesn't have the underlined features.

36 minutes ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Thank you, it's a bit confusing when there's a picture of a model that doesn't have the underlined features.

I'm reluctant to be critical in such cases because some evidence is circumstantial and I think we all know that the GWR had changing and inconstistent attitudes towards its shiny metal bonnets.

• Agree 1

I would have expected the local ASLEF branch to insist that the shed painted over the brass/copper shiny bits even if they had emerged from Swindon shiny. Moving steam locomotives are obvious enough from the air without making Luftwaffe pilots' jobs even easier by having shiny bits reflecting the sun. Remember that it was being machine-gunned that worried the crews, it was a common occurrence during daylight raids, even if has been largely forgotten today.

Another quick question. Did 4942 ever get a speedo? I have seen a few pictures taken in the 1950's and there is no speedo fitted and it did not have one at Barry (though it could have been liberated for another project).

Mike Wiltshire

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Time to re-activate this thread for post-war liveries!

I've picked up tonight an interesting negative of GWR 1361 Class member 1361 at Bridgwater on the 6/9/48. My question is what is 1361's livery as only the letters G and W (rather than GWR) on the saddle tank. Any thoughts please?

s-l1600 (2).png

• Like 2

Here's 1365 (at Swindon, 1 April 1949, after a smokebox and chassis renovation and repaint) also with just 'G W'. I've no idea why. ('G W R' with the W on one side of the middle rivet ring fitted ok, as on 1364.)

Impossible to tell whether your 1361 is green or black.

1365-swindon-1apr49.jpg.ee30ba4f9e73f2dc5e2d51d40373ab63.jpg

• Like 2