Postwar GWR Hall liveries

• RMweb Premium

I think I must have some good luck on my side when it comes to finding GWR Wartime Black photos :)... this time of GWR 2251 Collett 2259 with ROD tender in 1953.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PHOTO-GWR-CLASS-2251-0-6-0-LOCO-NO-2259-BANBURY-19-11-53/362454916166?hash=item5463ff1c46:g:7ZcAAOSwq4VaSkRd:rk:1:pf:0

That's a great one. Still "GWR" in 1953 and still wartime black too.

• RMweb Premium

Mine is already black, and very grubby.

John Dew has one with the seldom seen "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tender.   

Fox used to do the "wartime black" GWR logos,  Last time i looked they were unavailable.

• RMweb Gold

Mine is already black, and very grubby.

John Dew has one with the seldom seen "BRITISH RAILWAYS" on the tender.   

Fox used to do the "wartime black" GWR logos,  Last time i looked they were unavailable.

It did have! A few months ago I had second thoughts and changed the decals to GWR..........serendipity now that we know it still had GWR on in 1953....... yes the number I chose two years ago was 2259! It was a Croes Newydd loco hence the choice

I do like the idea of having one or two with “BRITISH RAILWAYS” its such a precise time stamp.....and validates the Hawksworth coaches. I put the logo on a BR modified hall and renumbered/renamed it to 6989 Wightwick Hall that was outshopped in March 1948 to Hereford .....not sure when the first sightings of the logo were but it seems reasonably feasible.

Hi All,

An interesting very late survival in wartime GWR Black was condensing Pannier No. 9703. It wore this until scrapping! It is why that loco was chosen when a friend and I modelled one of this class. Running rights from WWII until the end of steam!

All the best,

Castle

• RMweb Gold

It did have! A few months ago I had second thoughts and changed the decals to GWR..........serendipity now that we know it still had GWR on in 1953....... yes the number I chose two years ago was 2259! It was a Croes Newydd loco hence the choice

I do like the idea of having one or two with “BRITISH RAILWAYS” its such a precise time stamp.....and validates the Hawksworth coaches. I put the logo on a BR modified hall and renumbered/renamed it to 6989 Wightwick Hall that was outshopped in March 1948 to Hereford .....not sure when the first sightings of the logo were but it seems reasonably feasible.

There were two types of 'BRITISH RAILWAYS' lettering for locos, the first applied from 1/1/48 with GW type Egyptian Serif lettering as used on unlined locomotives in the 1920s and early 30s prior to the shirtbutton livery.  This was the WR's response to the initial instruction from Marylebone that they were to carry on as normal until further instruction.  Transfers for this can be found on the HMRS GWR loco and coach insignia sheet, no.7. 

Further instruction came in May 1948, and stipulated the new standard liveries with the lettering in BR standard Gill Sans, on HMRS BR loco sheet no.14.  The first crest, the unicycling lion, was available from the end of March 1949, and became the norm until 1958.  

So 6989 will have been delivered to Hereford in March 1948 with GW type Egyptian Serif, and probably in lined green livery as the lined black mixed traffic livery had not yet been adopted and lined green was what Swindon was painting it's new Halls in post 1945.  This type of BRITISH RAILWAYS lettering is a favourite of mine, but I am struggling to find an example suitable for my location and period, Tondu 1948-58.  I have locos running in GW 1942-5 austerity black and 1945-7 unlined green as well as BR Gill Sans lettering and unicycling lions, with both red and black backed name and number plates.  I cannot find a lined black example, which I'd like, either, but the period allows a good bit of biodiversity in loco and stock liveries, with enthusiastic weathering emphasising the point that some vans and wagons have not seen a paint brush since well before the war!

Locos were shopped at least every 7 years in theory, that being the limit of an extended boiler certificate (5 years but you could apply for a 2 year extension subject to a certified inspector's examination with a hydraulic test), but some locos carried late GWR livery into the 60s despite this, and despite not having had any periods in storage (you could 'de-register' the boiler for a period if this was done).  So I work on the principle that, if I know when a new loco entered traffic as you do with 6989, I am safe in letting it carry that livery for at least 7 years afterwards, so that 9649, delivered 1946 new to Tondu in what must have been unlined green G W R initials livery, can carry that livery until at least 1953, but I can't have her on the layout at the same time as 8448, delivered new to Tondu in 1955 (and scrapped 4 years later; what was the point?).

• RMweb Gold

Thank you for that helpful and informative post.

I had a moment of panic that I had used the wrong (for Granby)  " British Railways "  transfer on 6989.uick trip to the train room revealed that all was well.......I do agree with you that the Egyptian Serif font is rather attractive.

Like you I have been progressively weathering my locos and attempting to get a suitable mix of black and plain green. I suspect, particularly now I know about a likely 7 year span, that I dont have enough in black.

Thanks again for the post

John

omis

Locos were shopped at least every 7 years in theory, that being the limit of an extended boiler certificate (5 years but you could apply for a 2 year extension subject to a certified inspector's examination with a hydraulic test), but some locos carried late GWR livery into the 60s despite this, and despite not having had any periods in storage (you could 'de-register' the boiler for a period if this was done).  So I work on the principle that, if I know when a new loco entered traffic as you do with 6989, I am safe in letting it carry that livery for at least 7 years afterwards, so that 9649, delivered 1946 new to Tondu in what must have been unlined green G W R initials livery, can carry that livery until at least 1953, but I can't have her on the layout at the same time as 8448, delivered new to Tondu in 1955 (and scrapped 4 years later; what was the point?).

From what I remember (I wasn't very old at the time), the original idea was to electrify the main lines and to run steam for the natural life of the locomotives, which (saying thirty years for this) would have meant the eighties or even nineties. Politics intervened with the modernisation plan of 1955 and later Beeching (brought in at great expense as 'hatchet man' *) to bring in a mass cull in the sixties, following the mad rush to build diesels. In the case of the 94xx, I understand there were outstanding contracts and we still believed in British industry and the balance of payments (import/export) at the time. 

* I wouldn't like to suggest there was any connection to this and a Minister of Transport with an interest in road building....

Sorry for 'politics; but the end of steam is linked inescapably.

An overhaul didn't necessarily mean a repaint (how else could 9710 survive with a 'shirt button' until at least the late fifties* - to scrapping I believe?). Rule 1 applies in any case! :)

* Personal observation in my spotting days. She wasoverall black, but whether this was wartime black or grime I couldn't say. Her working environment wasn't exactly the cleanest.

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Premium

(how else could 9710 survive with a 'shirt button' until at least the late fifties* - to scrapping I believe?). Rule 1 applies in any case! :)

* Personal observation in my spotting days. She wasoverall black, but whether this was wartime black or grime I couldn't say. Her working environment wasn't exactly the cleanest.

I think all of the 97XX ended up being very "black" regardless of the logo given their role.

I am a big fan of this tiny un-travelled "niche" class of engine.

I think all of the 97XX ended up being very "black" regardless of the logo given their role.

I am a big fan of this tiny un-travelled "niche" class of engine.

I didn't 'cop' all of them.  :(   IIRC one already had been scrapped and I missed one (I need to check with my 'abc' which is in a box - somewhere.... They were all black/ dirty dark grey with a variety of markings from 'shirt button' through 'G W R' to 'ferret'.

They are also one of my favourites. I have acquired a K's body, but she needs stripping apart and rebuilding. One day.... In the meantime she runs on a Dublo R1 chassis (wrong wheelbase etc.) and will be numbered and lettered as 9710.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

On the subject of the GWR Wartime Black Dean Goods, following me purchasing the book William Dean today I've been able to find several running numbers of Dean Goods that received the War Black livery. For those that are interested in the running numbers, they are at the link below:

http://www.rmweb.co....y/#entry3401879

• 4 weeks later...

I like the cabside window plates. Bet they were fiddly.

The person who did 2259 for me was the same person who did me GWR 7208 in the GWR Grotesque Sans Serif lettering last year which you can find at the link below.

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/72189-Hornby-42xx-not-a-bashing-thread/page-12&do=findComment&comment=3186783

Personally I am very pleased with 2259 and the end result. Looking at either a Grange, Hall/Modfied Hall or Dean Goods as the next Wartime Black loco to be done. As to the cabside window plates they were .005 brass sheet cut and filed into shape and the rivet heads produced on a rivet press.

post-605-0-78624500-1548687700_thumb.jpg

Edited by Garethp8873
  • Like 3

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Maindy Hall, repainted from lined Great Western green to wartime black, flack screens added from brass sheet embossed with fixings, etched plates from the Modelmaster range. 

Built Swindon:1929 Lot no 254 29/6/29

Repainted wartime black 18/6/43

Withdrawn 28/12/63, 

Converted at Didcot into 2999 Lady of Legend 2019

received_380750469311167.jpeg

received_420148745377655.jpeg

received_393807127912393.jpeg

received_347087549302563.jpeg

received_1257983407700928.jpeg

received_2267391370144529.jpeg

received_430219070911932.jpeg

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I have.  Lined Green with G**W crest I believe is correct for post war Halls of this batch.

Pre-war Halls would be black or unlined green by 1946.

My Maindy Hall will be unlined green when it is finished.

Edited by M.I.B
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M.I.B said:

I have.  Lined Green with G**W crest I believe is correct for post war Halls of this batch.

Pre-war Halls would be black or unlined green by 1946.

My Maindy Hall will be unlined green when it is finished.

Can you do photos when possible please? :)