Postwar GWR Hall liveries

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear I am afraid the question of fire tunnels had completely passed me by. So I went scurrying down to the train room to check on my recently renumbered Halls...........my Hornby Railroad Halls both started life as Adderley Hall and as far as I can tell dont have a fire tunnel.....I guess your donor is a different model?

However I now realise renaming a Bachmann Hall (Kinlet?) to 6941 Fillongley Hall was a mistake....no fire tunnel .

To add to my confusion the Hall I didn't rename was a Bachmann original 5923 Colston Hall......it doesn't have a fire tunnel.

Not a great start to the day! I need to decide whether I should pretend to be in blissful ignorance

Cheers

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear I am afraid the question of fire tunnels had completely passed me by. So I went scurrying down to the train room to check on my recently renumbered Halls...........my Hornby Railroad Halls both started life as Adderley Hall and as far as I can tell dont have a fire tunnel.....I guess your donor is a different model?

However I now realise renaming a Bachmann Hall (Kinlet?) to 6941 Fillongley Hall was a mistake....no fire tunnel .

To add to my confusion the Hall I didn't rename was a Bachmann original 5923 Colston Hall......it doesn't have a fire tunnel.

Not a great start to the day! I need to decide whether I should pretend to be in blissful ignorance

Cheers

Sorry to hear this John.

I nearly fell into the same trap using a fire iron tunnelled model to do 5919 Worsley Hall...Can't imagine why?!!! Must have been distracted....

post-7584-0-37278700-1510258287.jpg

Instead I've gone for 5978 Boddinick Hall but debating on whether to finish it plain war time black or in post war green...

I think I will revisit 5919 using an Adderley Hall and a 4000 gallon tender from an Olton Hall as I ordered the name plates.  Again choice of livery to ponder...

Cheers,

Mark

Edited by 46444

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mark

I have managed to live without a couple of Ashpans.....I guess I can survive without a couple of Fire Iron Tunnels :jester:

I am intrigued how Colston Hall was released without a fire iron tunnel gate but on reflection I bought it from Buffers and it may have been a special commission with Bachmann's standard 49xx being re liveried.

Cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

How long did the all black livery of 6959 Peatling Hall last?

6959 finally got a name in Dec 46 so if it went anywhere near Swindon in late 1946 it is a sensible guess to say it went from unlined black to unlined green and got a name at the same time.

The un-named Halls got their names in a stagered fashion, which suggests at time of overhaul, not a blanket policy across the fleet which would indicate a generic issue of name plates regardless of colour.

But application of logic and GWR practice don't always meet.....

• RMweb Premium

How long did the all black livery of 6959 Peatling Hall last?

So following the logic of my post above, Peatling Hall was probably never black. 

But 6959 was..............

I run a black un-named Hall - it does look rather different and adds interest.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

On the gwr.org livery page, http://www.gwr.org.uk/liveriesloco1942.html , I've inserted the following sentence for the post-1945 situation, which I hope gives the general situation: 'Halls were shopped without lining, but the new Modified Halls appeared with lining.'

A 'NIF' has questioned the background colour of the name/number plates on post-war black GW (ie pre-1948) locomotives in gereral; he suggests that it should be red.  Is he right?

A 'NIF' has questioned the background colour of the name/number plates on post-war black GW (ie pre-1948) locomotives in gereral; he suggests that it should be red.  Is he right?

Gents

Thank you for all the replies.  I was sure that they were black but my "NIF" just raised a degree of doubt; I have now convinced him otherwise!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

6959 finally got a name in Dec 46 so if it went anywhere near Swindon in late 1946 it is a sensible guess to say it went from unlined black to unlined green and got a name at the same time.

The un-named Halls got their names in a stagered fashion, which suggests at time of overhaul, not a blanket policy across the fleet which would indicate a generic issue of name plates regardless of colour.

But application of logic and GWR practice don't always meet.....

God isn't always logical...  :jester:

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It has taken me a long time to realise this, but there must have been two versions of "black" Halls for a period:

"early" engines which went to Swindon for work and came out black, still named and with G**W logos.

brand new engines which came out un-named ib black with G**W logos.

The "new ones" got cab side shutters - did the "early" ones as well?

• RMweb Premium

I think i have answered my own question above:  Is that a sign of madness?

There are pictures of other classes of  black engines which went into Swindon painted green and came out black with shutters.

So at the point where they were painted black in WW2, they would all have got shutters.   Regardless of their age or new-build.

Anyway,  following the war, many had their shutters removed as they were not popular I understand.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Does anyone on here recall seeing a GWR Hall in Wartime Black livery at all? I know I have seen a picture somewhere but I cannot find it now...

You need to look in on the Nod to Brent layout Robin is having several loco's done in wartime black including a Hall.

Does anyone on here recall seeing a GWR Hall in Wartime Black livery at all? I know I have seen a picture somewhere but I cannot find it now...

Check out the photo archives on the Swindon Steam Museum website - most of the GWR period Hall images show them in black (albeit in black and white shots, but you can tell the livery from the shade contrast with the black smokebox). This one, for example is in black, whilst you would have to say that this one is in green. 

CoY

Edited by County of Yorkshire

• RMweb Premium

A give-away for black Halls is the plating over ( not shuttering which was a different thing) of the forward-most cab side window.  As per Peplow in the first link posted above.

If it's plated it's black.

Not sure if that works the other way round though.

Edited by M.I.B

• RMweb Premium

All of the un-named Wartime built Halls were outshopped in black.

• RMweb Gold

What book is the photo in Rob? :)

No book but I had a discussion with fellow post war GWR modeller, Ben L of this parish on the subject. We picked 5998 due to being built in 1940 and a West Country engine, she was named from built. The works visits suggested it was likely to have kept the black livery longer than other members of the class.