Diag. H55 Buffet question

I am currently working on a model of one of the above batch of buffets (running nos. 9676-9680) and have a few questions for the knowledgeable members out there.

1. How were they labeled when first turned out? The only picture I have is in vol. 2 of Russell which shows 9678 in BR days with cream or yellow BUFFET centrally on the side.The text with the photo refers to an official photo in 'Great Western Coaches' by M. Harris but I don't have access to that publication. Were these labelled 'Buffet' in GWR days or 'Restaurant Car'? I'm assuming that they where painted and lined in the standard late Collett style. 

2. As I'm planning to fit a full interior can any one offer suggestions as to the colours of the seats & tables, buffet counter and curtains? Also was there any extra seats or stools at the counter?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I had this project (and numerous others) stalled for a couple of years now and finally decided it was about time to make some proper progress.

Dave 

• RMweb Gold

I've built the similar H57 from the Comet kit and you should find it with a search.Is it the post war GWR livery you want for yours. Curtains were a sand colour for third class or light blue for first.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69664-a-nod-to-brent/page-57 half way down.

I have the Harris book to hand.There are two interesting photos of the H55 in it.9676 and 79.

The buffet sign you mention was placed centrally over the shirtbutton livery just under the lining between choc/cream.Two different interior schemes were applied.Three of the lot had teak saloon panelling and two were in walnut.

The buffet counter had 8 high seats as well as ordinary bench type.Seating 20.The walnut interior was set off by red leather upholstery for stools and seats as in photo.Tables and counter were cream.The floor of 9679 looks to have been black and white squares lino.

Edited by gwrrob

There is a photo in GW Coaches Appendix vol.2 by Russell of the corridor side. It also shows a cream panel at waist level at the centre with the lettering BUFFET CAR.

On the Science & Society site are two interior views:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10323922&itemw=4&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=23

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results.asp?image=10323925&itemw=4&itemf=0001&itemstep=1&itemx=24

• Like 1

G'day Robin,

Thanks for the info. That's just what I'm after for the model. I'm actually planning on finishing it as 9676 as originally turned out in June 1938. Does the picture in the book say 'Buffet Car' or just 'Buffet' above the roundel?

Once I get the buffet car out of the way I can start making progress on my articulated suburban set. Always another project or idea to go on with!

Dave 

Thanks Mark for the links to the photos. I can see that I'll have to modify the ends of the seating units I'm making as the ones I have already made have more rounded corners than depicted. 

Unfortunately I lent my copies of Russell's Appendix 1 & 2 to a friend a number of years ago who later passed away. When I eventually remembered the books his widow told me she had sold all his "railway stuff".

Dave 

• RMweb Gold

G'day Robin,

Thanks for the info. That's just what I'm after for the model. I'm actually planning on finishing it as 9676 as originally turned out in June 1938. Does the picture in the book say 'Buffet Car' or just 'Buffet' above the roundel?

Once I get the buffet car out of the way I can start making progress on my articulated suburban set. Always another project or idea to go on with!

Dave 

Buffet Car

Agree with Mark and Rob. BUFFET CAR against a cream panel as built. There are several shots in the 1930's Soole collection showing the cream panel.

The H41 has the same livery arrangement.

http://www.imber.me.uk/GWR-9631.jpg

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/bentleyheath/gwrbh25.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

Hi Mike and thanks for the links. When I increased the magnification of the first photo it appears as if the wording is on a separate raised panel instead of being painted directly on the body side. Is this correct? If so it will make things easier to produce the wording on my decal prints.

Dave 

I wondered the same with the H55. A couple of images I have looks like the cream panel is not flush. The H41 appeared flush when I last saw it. Certainly my H41/55 have a printed out panel stuck on the side, not that it looks relief in anyway on the model.

post-9992-0-37704000-1412637492_thumb.jpg

Mike Wiltshire

• Like 1

• 6 years later...

After six and a half years delay (mainly due to various health issues) I've finally resumed work on this model. As the interior is quite visible I'm planning to populate the coach with a number of passengers and a few catering staff. The publicity photos show a pale jacket with dark lapels and cuffs and dark trousers. I assume the jackets are cream as there is a contrast between them and the (white?) shirt colour. Does anyone happen to know what colour the trim on these were? Also what is the difference between the jacket styles. One has just the collar in a dark finish and the other has the full lapels. Is it part of a ranking system in the catering department? One final question  - does anybody know the curtain colours and pattern used in the H55 when new?

GWR 1938 Buffet Car attendant 1.jpg

GWR 1938 Buffet Car attendant 2.jpg