Time to arrange a modular meet?

cromptonnut

I'm waiting for the venue to get back to me to confirm availability of the three seemingly most popular dates.  My personal preference will be the furthest away date option to give us as much time as we can to work on stuff.

Believe me, I'm as keen to get a date locked down and start planning as much as the rest of you :)  As soon as I have something I'll post.

Sorry, somehow missed this poll and only added my response today after a topic bump.

I hope to dust off Kenton's curve tomorrow (if I can light up the fire in the garage without blowing the place up) It is too cold out there otherwise. Then hopefully pick up where I left off adding wiring.

As I said before I WILL have a working module by April but as for some scenics well maybe. May is a better month as April seems to be filling up fast with all sorts of complications. Just like everyone, fixing a date sooner helps, but appreciate your efforts.

Oh, and when I ticked "Cost is irrelevant" there are limits :D to my generosity. But am quite happy to bank an amount with you if it ensures the meet goes ahead, even if I am unable to attend on that date.

As I said previously, as long as the board ends meet modular standards, and the wiring is done for at least the main track(s) from left to right across the board, scenery, yards etc is irrelevant.  Even at some of the big American meets you get part-scenic boards dotted in.

The main point of this first meet is to prove the concept works, ie that a bunch of strangers who have built things to a standard, that have never been put together, should be able to connect their boards - theoretically first time - and run a train from A to B without any difficulty whatsoever.

Between us I'm sure we have enough knowledge to overcome pretty much any problem that may arise on the day too.

• 3 weeks later...

PROGRESS!!!!

Awaiting final confirmation but I believe that Saturday 27th June is a 'goer'.  Once I receive that confirmation email I will make a new thread with instructions on where we go from here.

To recap:

Venue: Merstham, Surrey (not far from M25/M23/A23 junctions).

Cost: Dependent on numbers but I believe the total day will cost less than £200 divided by the amount of participants.  I suggest we work on £20 per head and 10 people (well 9 including me) expressing an interest, if more people come along to reduce per person costs we will decide amongst us whether to refund or keep the cash towards future meets.

Modules: Any functional modules, single or double track, welcome.  As long as they are built to the RMWeb standard and have sufficiently working track to get from one end of the module to the other, it doesn't matter if sidings etc aren't working, any non-essential point motors and other wiring isn't working, or scenery is imcomplete.  The idea is to test the standard and see if a group of individuals who have never put their boards together before can create a functional model railway.

Control: DCC.  Lenz standard or compatible, I also hope to provide a laptop/JRMI/wifi setup which will allow suitably equipped mobile phones and tablets to operate trains as well. 

Lunch: Bring your own but tea, coffee and squash will be provided.

Transport: Plenty of on site parking - it's a bit of a hike from the station so I will be asking in the signup paperwork if you are willing to offer lifts to others from your direction, or if you need a lift to attend.

There's a few more things I'm waiting to hear back on that once all is confirmed I will make a new thread and provide instructions for signing up.  I'll require details of modules that you are willing to commit to getting to a suitable standard by the end of June, which will enable me to plan how they all fit together.  30, 45, 60 and 90 degree curved modules and any junctions will be particularly welcome to maximise space utilisation.

It's really happening... (hopefully!)  more info to come soon.

(cross posted to several relevant threads to make sure everyone who may be interested picks it up).

Archived