'Slancote' - Garden Shed OO - LINE CLOSED

Joe MCMLXI

Guest 40-something

Hi Rob, thanks for your interest..

the 'lever frames' are Hornby Yellow levers, but I modify them a bit internally. I had to do this because of the way I operate my point solenoids. I use std  'Black' Hornby levers for isolating sections.

I have two lever frames, one for the upper circuit points, the other for the 'Colliery' area.

The 'Colliery' controller panel also has (4) push buttons, to change the points ( via a Diode matrix ) for the (3) storage loops or for the incline (1) to the upper level.

Each Peco point solenoid is operated by an individual CDU, built on a little bit of pcb. I found this method on the internet a few years ago, as it reduces slightly the amount of wiring - I think.

It needs an ON - ON switch to operate the solenoid via the small CDU. But this means you do not have to worry about burning out a coil, that would happen if a switch contact sticks, if you use the conventional 'Momentary' contact switch.

The std  'Yellow' Hornby lever gives an ON - ON action, but uses a common supply through the central pivot, the circuit I use, needs the supply from the central pivot to be kept separate from its neighbours - a bit of modification was required.

these photo's should help understand what I did.... first an internal shot of a modified lever, I prefer soldered connections for the outputs, the pivot wire supply had to be soldered as well......

Levermod6.jpg

This then shows the interconnecting pin being cut off, to keep it isolated from its neighbours...........

Levermod3.jpg

Basic solenoid / lever / mini CDU pcb set up

Levermod7-1.jpg

I hope this is info that answers your questions..... feel free to ask many more!

joe

Love this idea!!!  Might pinch it for my own layout (if you dont mind), to operate my servo's

You're more than welcome, hope it works for you as well. If you need any more info, just pm me.

I looked at other alternatives beforehand, but they end up being quite costly, whereas these Hornby levers pop up everywhere, Car boot, Model railway exhibitions, Model shop s/hand boxes, E-bay etc for next to nothing....

joe

Guest 40-something

You're more than welcome, hope it works for you as well. If you need any more info, just pm me.

I looked at other alternatives beforehand, but they end up being quite costly, whereas these Hornby levers pop up everywhere, Car boot, Model railway exhibitions, Model shop s/hand boxes, E-bay etc for next to nothing....

joe

Thanks Joe

I'll be modifying them to simple on-off switches (unless I pick some green ones up - I only need 3) - you wouldnt happen to know what the internals of the black lever switch are like would you?

I currently use toggle switches that will be mounted on a separate control panel but I've always fancied pulling levers to make the points throw!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

After building this layout over several years, an imminent house move has forced the closure of the line. Can't blame 'Mr Beeching' for this one !

When a new property is found, I'm sure a new layout will be built...... so for the time being, points are being recovered and electrical equipment stored, ready for the future.

I plan to make my next layout with the running of Hornby live steam a priority. Many things have been learnt and much information gained from fellow RMwebbers, so hopefully the next layout will be another step forward.

joe

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• Joe MCMLXI changed the title to 'Slancote' - Garden Shed OO - LINE CLOSED