Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

Well thats me sold.

I am so looking forward to sticking mine on the front of a Pacific or S15 on a (Salisbury - Exeter) down local. If it performs that well on Little Bytham it could just work on my coming bits of Code 75.

Lovely looking Loco.

Phil

Edited by Mallard60022

The coupling rods on the Oxford Model are, correctly, mounted outboard of the connecting rods. 

Beattie Well tanks (prototype and Kernow's model) are also like it as is the preserved T3 4-4-0, so it was probably usual LSWR practice on outside cylinder locos built prior to the adoption of  Walschaerts valve gear on Drummond and Urie 4-6-0s.

It presumably minimises loco width by allowing the cylinders to be mounted closer together but I don't know if it was a done by other railways (possibly the GER where Mr Adams worked before his LSWR days?); maybe others can enlighten us

I would have thought the connecting rods being inside the coupling rods would be that many loco builders in the earlier years were still building single drivers, where the connecting rods would be on the face of the wheel. If you use the same cylinder castings which I would expect happened then the piston centres would be on the same centre line, so you can't move the centre line out with out using new castings, so the coupling rod is added to the outside.

David

Edited by David Bigcheeseplant
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The LTSR 4-4-2T locos had the same arrangement of rods. The Adams connection with these locos was mentioned much earlier in this topic. Or was it the Hornby one? I posted a photo of the two together.

Does the model come with a detailing pack? And if so what's in it?

Mine has just arrived. Yes it does. Brake rodding, tension lock coupler and two solid plastic mouldings of screw link couplings, with the bottom link modelled as over the hook. The model comes with plain hooks which come out easily so that they may be replaced by the screw-link fitted ones if desired. One tension lock is fitted to the rear.

Excuse me now. I have to find the hook which I pulled out and dropped.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Somebody once told me that the connecting rod being mounted inside the coupling rod was to do with forces exerted onto the crankpin. Some engineers considered that having the drive force from the cylinder nearer the wheel improved the way that the forces acted and meant less wear and tear. I am not enough of an engineer (OK - I am not an engineer!) to know any more than that but it sounds a possibility. 

With reference to the buffers. I noticed today that the front ones on mine were both slightly cocked outwards. I realised that the cylindrical buffer housing and its rear flange are not one moulding. The flange is moulded onto the face of the buffer beam and the housing a tube inserted into it. The very merest finger pressure aligned them correctly.

I am not sure that they are glued in but should they move again I'll apply a spot of glue with a pin.

Somebody once told me that the connecting rod being mounted inside the coupling rod was to do with forces exerted onto the crankpin. Some engineers considered that having the drive force from the cylinder nearer the wheel improved the way that the forces acted and meant less wear and tear. I am not enough of an engineer (OK - I am not an engineer!) to know any more than that but it sounds a possibility. 

The greater the distance from the wheelface, the greater the bending moment on the crankpin. So it looks like a good plan to keep the piston thrust loads close to the wheelface. But it cuts the other way on a two or more coupled axles loco: if the leading driver on a loco such as this has poor adhesion, but the trailing driver is gripping, then the moment on the crankpin from the coupling rod transmitting the drive to the rear coupled wheels is greater than it would have been if compared to having the coupling rod mounted inside the connecting rod.

These problems were solved by the development of a better understanding of materials science and forces.

• Like 1

There would be less shearing stresses for a start. The longer the pin and further out from the wheel it connects, the greater the cantilever effect will be upon it.

I'd noticed a tendency to stall in particular spots on the track with wheel spin too - not associated with curves or the load attached. This (+ my uneven track) may be the cause. Think I'll wait to see if others have similar experience before getting the file out!

I had this trouble also - blame my 30 year old baseboards and my less than perfect tracklaying. I whipped the front bogie off, little bit of filing just over the coupling box, bogie back on and fantastic. Runs better than a watch!

Well done Oxford, whats next?

• Like 1

Anyone fitted a decoder?

Regards

Simon

Just done it.

Unless you can find a direct plug decoder that will fit, there is precious little space in the bunker when a plug is in the 8 pin socket. The instructions are poor with regards dcc installation.

After looking at the space and decoders I had to hand, I decided to remove the pcb and hard wire a Hornby 8249. This fits in OK in the bunker void, and does not require the pcb posts to be removed to fit.

Apart from the inevitable running backwards (CV29 to the rescue) it runs flawlessly, and I have not had any stalling issues. Pick up is from the four drivers and rear pony truck.

Haulage wise, this was never gonna be a world beater, but it will haul 4 Bachmann Mk1's, or possible more of a more free running type.

Had the joy of one of the rear sanders pinging off across the garage, however by some miracle I found it. It was one of those modelling sessions which you think perhaps you should have curtailed!

On the whole, I think this is a lovely loco. Just saw the announcement for an industrial diesel next, which I am sure will be a hit.

On the face of it, the Hornby model appears to have the edge for detail, however for £85, and in time for xmas, I am happy to support a company moving into UK rtr model railways.

I wish Oxford all the best.

N

Edited by neal
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

A TCS DP2X-UK direct plug in 8 pin board fits. I bought one off Digitrains at Warley and fitted it into my newly acquired Radial. Its the board that fits sideways across the width of the tender.

I also added insulation under the coal bunker on the body just to make sure that the decoder doesn't touch the metal body area.

Loco runs well on both DC and DCC with this decoder fitted.

Edited by roundhouse

A TCS DP2X-UK direct plug in 8 pin board fits. I bought one off Digitrains at Warley and fitted it into my newly acquired Radial. Its the board that fits sideways across the width of the tender the tender.

I also added insulation under the coal bunker on the body just to make sure that the decoder doesnt touch the metal body area.

Loco runs well on both DC and DCC with this decoder fitted.

I'm glad that's the case, this information would have been useful in the instruction sheet or launch information.

N

Review now online!

A review of a very much anticipated from model from Oxford Rail! Oxford Rail's first Ready to Run 00 gauge locomotive, the all new Adams Radial Tank, in smart BR Late Lined Black Livery.
The Adams Radial Tanks were design by William Adams, to replace the stop-gap 46 Class on suburban services around London. The first members of the class entered service in 1882, and by 1885 a total of 71 Locomotives had entered service. During grouping in 1923, only 30 locomotives made it in to Southern Railway ownership. By 1927, only two engines remained, although in 1946 they were joined by a further locomotive, purchased from the East Kent Light Railway. All 3 saw service on the Lyme Regis Branch, in Dorset and passed in BR ownership. All three were finally withdrawn from service in 1961, with one member surviving into preservation.
The model features a wealth of detail including; separately fitted smokebox dart, finely applied hand rails, a superb cab interior, sprung buffers, well applied Glazing, plus more. 
Fitted with a powerful 5 Pole Motor, Die-cast running plate and pick-ups on all wheels, the Adams is a smooth and powerful runner straight from the box.
This model really is a must for any Southern Region modeller! Oxford Rail have done an amazing job indeed, and I’m look forward to seeing more of Oxfords Rails future ventures, hopefully in the not too distant future…

Hope you enjoy! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsiWEK_LhiA

post-20663-0-57213900-1448792139_thumb.gif

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

All of them. Those that don't sell reasonably quickly to the "must have" collectors will get further discounting from the box shifters until they are all sold.

Saw one in my local Craft/Hobby shop yesterday - it has a selection of Hornby/Peco/Dapol/Woodland senics accessory stuff with a few items of mostly Hornby rolling stock - at £137-50. I admit to being surprised to see it in there, and wonder how many will be sold at that price.

Izzy

I am not sure that the Adams Radial in BR lined black with a late crest is a must for every Southern Region modeller as it probably only ran on the Lyme Regis Branch. It is a model of an attractive locomotive and will probably appeal to anyone who likes the look of the model.

I wish I had bought the 00 Works BR Adams Radial when it came out instead of waiting to see if they bought out an LSWR version which I missed. I saw a survey about the most popular livery and there were equal votes for LSWR, Southern and BR so I am pleased Oxfordrail has announced a model of the preserved Radial in LSWR livery.