Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

It will be interesting to see which is the most popular livery. Rails are still selling the green one for £84.50, Hattons is selling a pre-owned green one with missing parts for £70 and new green ones and black ones for £88. My nearest model shop at Poole is selling them for £90 which is cheaper than ordering them from Hattons if you live nearby.

Hattons have only got eight black radials with the early crest which may suggest that that version is the most popular.

Oxfordrail have just announced some more versions of the Adams Radial, including some with steam sound.

• Like 1

Looks like quite a bit of expansion for Oxford Models, and a mention in the press release PDF, that they announce things months ahead of time, not years, unlike their rivals, who seem to live in a fairy land dithering never never land about deliveries, delays, and lack of sufficient quantities to meet customers needs.

It sounds promising for the Dean Goods delivery this year.

Stephen

The mates image of the southern livery version looks great. Much better than the pea green mock up. I'll definitely get one of those. I saw the lswr version in my local model shop and I cant believe how hung up people have gotten on the motor block. Its looks great for the price :)

• Like 1

It will be interesting to see which is the most popular livery. Rails are still selling the green one for £84.50, Hattons is selling a pre-owned green one with missing parts for £70 and new green ones and black ones for £88. My nearest model shop at Poole is selling them for £90 which is cheaper than ordering them from Hattons if you live nearby.

Hattons have only got eight black radials with the early crest which may suggest that that version is the most popular.

Oxfordrail have just announced some more versions of the Adams Radial, including some with steam sound.

The black radial with early crest was also the first out.

The black radial with early crest was also the first out.

Wasn't the late crest 30583 first out?

Regards,

Matt

Got a nice surprise today when a parcel was left at the front door. will tskeit to the club tonight to show off and test on DC, then the loco goes into the "DCC to install" queue... I know the coach is not right but thought it was at least  from the UK, a Australian coach would look silly !

Regards,

David Head

ar1.jpgar2.jpg

Edited by dthead
  • Like 2

Ran the loco at the club tonight to show  a member who is building a 30x40ft  british layout. Ran well in both directions.

Now , to be fair, I WILL await the Hornby one,  But no intention of getting rid of this great model !

( Yes I may end up with two 488's )

Regards,

David Head

• Like 1

In reply to post 1665 from DT Head I think the coach may be correct.  In LSWR days there were through workings to Swanage from the GWR but the LSWR Loading gauge was too small to accept some GWR locomotives as the cylinders may have struck the platform. The through coaches would have been taken to Swanage by an LSWR locomotive and the most likely locomotive would have been an Adams Radial.

A picture taken in 1908 shows a rake of six wheel third class coaches from an unidentified company in the goods shed road. I have not got any pictures of GWR clerestory coaches there but it is possible that they may have visited an LSWR station and have been hauled by an Adams Radial.

Finally got round to fitting Hattons 4 function direct decoder to my LSWR model. Is there supposed to be a coil Spring on the screw which fixes the bogie? First time I have removed the body and cannot find spring on exploded diagram but it appeared as the body came off the chassis!

Some time back on this posting their had been some correspondence on the Adams Radial running on C & L track and the locos deeper flanges, I am interested in the SR olive green version, but not if there are problems with C & L bullhead track(code 75) rather than wade through 60+pages on this posting does anyone have this loco running on C & L track? and have their been any issues?. Any info is always welcome 

Ignoring the specifics of exactly what shade Adams/Drummond/Urie/Maunsell greens should be, I'm curious as to what (approximate) colours will be used.

Currently I am seeing the following images advertising these two items:

• OR76AR006XS Southern Railway Maunsell Green  DCC Sound Fitted
  • OR76AR006 Southern Railway Maunsell Green

post-1819-0-38779400-1465003868_thumb.jpg

One is from a retailer and one is from the Oxford Rail website.

The first image, advertised as OR76AR006XS, is quite clearly a Urie green (which seems quite a plausible livery to me). It does not match the website and makes me wonder if:

• We will yet see a Urie green version and the wrong picture was used by the retailer
  • The Maunsell green will be replaced with a Urie green for OR76AR006

Did 3520 run in Urie green with "SOUTHERN" lettering
Did 3520 run in a Maunsell olive before black with sunshine lettering (as in OR76AR007)?

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

It would be a shame I think Oz, if they didn't do it in Maunsell green.  Hornby aren't as far as I know proposing one for the immediate future (whatever that may be) and I'm sure a 'proper' Southern green version would sell well.

I'm away from my reference books at present, so can't give you any more information, but I'm sure both images are Photoshopped and not photographed making an error just a button click away!

I think that the first thing to bear in mind regarding the Oxford (and no doubt other) press photos of models is that they are all computer-enhanced, so interminable discussion about their colours, lining and so on (see the Oxford Dean Goods thread!) really is a road to nowhere.

On your questions, though, looking through my books (Bradley, Locos of the LSWR Vol 2 and others) the following points emerge:

At the grouping, the two 0415 class locos that are of interest to us in the context of the Lyme Regis Branch carried numbers on the duplicate list - 0125 and 0520 - which they retained until November 1933 and January 1934 respectively, when they became 3125 and 3520. As an aside, the rest of the 0415 class was pretty quickly withdrawn from service - mostly by 1926.

Bradley simply states (on Page 24) that 0125 and 0520 and a few others were repainted soon after the grouping in 'Southern Railway' green - which doesn't really get us anywhere but I would suggest that it means the lighter of the greens used by the SR - today, often called sage green, as distinct from olive green - but certainly not Urie green (the very pale one in the pictures in your post).

That said, Fig. 16 in the same book shows an 0415 number 524 (no '0' prefix…whither standardisation? !) in 'early SR livery'. Now, even allowing for the variations in photographic reproduction, lighting and so on, it does appear to be a rather light green, but I would still go for SR sage, rather than LSWR Urie… as it were.

As far as I can ascertain, neither locomotive worked the Lyme Regis branch from about late 1928 to late 1930, when they emerged from Eastleigh works after major overhaul and some considerable modification. During that overhaul, they would have been repainted and - here I indulge in conjecture, as I can find no precise evidence - I believe they would most likely have been painted in the darker, olive green.

Putting all this together, one comes to the inevitable conclusion that when numbered 3125 and 3520, the locos could only have been in SR olive green…certainly not any colour left over from the LSWR era.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Edited to add that 3520 was painted 'unlined Maunsell green' with Bulleid lettering in January 1940, and again repainted in unlined black with Bulleid lettering in March 1945, which is why I referred elsewhere to the latter livery as being short-lived with respect to the olive green one.

Second edit to remove a couple of ambiguities in my wording.

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some time back on this posting their had been some correspondence on the Adams Radial running on C & L track and the locos deeper flanges, I am interested in the SR olive green version, but not if there are problems with C & L bullhead track(code 75) rather than wade through 60+pages on this posting does anyone have this loco running on C & L track? and have their been any issues?. Any info is always welcome

I have the first release of the Adams radial and I use early C&L track. She runs well on the straight but the rear radial wheel clicks on the chairs on curves (but no worse than my Hornby coaches).

Ignoring the specifics of exactly what shade Adams/Drummond/Urie/Maunsell greens should be, I'm curious as to what (approximate) colours will be used.

Currently I am seeing the following images advertising these two items:

• OR76AR006XS Southern Railway Maunsell Green  DCC Sound Fitted
  • OR76AR006 Southern Railway Maunsell Green

attachicon.gifradialtanks.JPG

One is from a retailer and one is from the Oxford Rail website.

The first image, advertised as OR76AR006XS, is quite clearly a Urie green (which seems quite a plausible livery to me). It does not match the website and makes me wonder if:

• We will yet see a Urie green version and the wrong picture was used by the retailer
  • The Maunsell green will be replaced with a Urie green for OR76AR006

Did 3520 run in Urie green with "SOUTHERN" lettering

Did 3520 run in a Maunsell olive before black with sunshine lettering (as in OR76AR007)?

Looking at these two pics, it seems that the SR green version is showing a Drummond boiler(safety valves on the dome, also the Adams boiler safety valves near the cab on the same loco. I hope this is just an error on the artwork & does not end up on the model. 

I have the first release of the Adams radial and I use early C&L track. She runs well on the straight but the rear radial wheel clicks on the chairs on curves (but no worse than my Hornby coaches).

Thanks for this, my C & L track is all recent  laid in the last 4 years(and still being laid) the Hornby stuff(locos,Emus,coaches etc) although the back to backs on the rolling stock have been slightly adjusted run fine. Any other experiences is always welcome with the Oxford Adams & C & L track.

Looking at these two pics, it seems that the SR green version is showing a Drummond boiler(safety valves on the dome, also the Adams boiler safety valves near the cab on the same loco. I hope this is just an error on the artwork & does not end up on the model. 

So do I - and I doubt that such an error will be made, but it just goes to reinforce my comment earlier about the futility of analysing computer-enhanced publicity photos!

Edited by olivegreen
  • Like 1