Oxfordrail - Adams Radial

John M Upton

• RMweb Gold

You're not the first to vote for the Jones Goods and there's definitely something in that.

Perhaps they see a gap in the market for north of the border RTR?

I hope Oxford Diecast are not just going to leave that fuzzy image to sit there for a month.  That'll spoil the fun.

• RMweb Premium

Oxford delivery dates sometimes seem to be very elastic, some items are in the catalogue for more than a year before they appear whereas some others have beaten the catalogue.

Still better than the constantly slipping delivery dates from Hornby!!!

As I started this thread and they seem to have garnered some considerably froth/publicity/advertising as a result I wonder if I can get a discount, assuming that the mystery model suits what I prefer to run of course.

• Like 1

You're not the first to vote for the Jones Goods and there's definitely something in that.

Perhaps they see a gap in the market for north of the border RTR?

I hope Oxford Diecast are not just going to leave that fuzzy image to sit there for a month.  That'll spoil the fun.

I'm not exactly voting for the Jones Goods, being more GER & M&GN based, but could just about justify it, from its foray onto the Bedford to Hitchin branch whilst filming for "those Magnificent Men in THeir Flying Machines"!

Now there is an idea for a train pack if they do it - along with their liking for aeroplanes......

Stewart

• Like 5

Maybe people are getting warm with their guesses already so they don't want to reveal to much more.

They still have 25 days to run with the countdown clock although they could do the same little glimpse through the fog next 5 models with 5 days each (they did hint at 6 models early in?)  .....

Steve

• RMweb Gold

Hopefully a long overdue model of an Adams radial tank. Nice if true.

I have heard that is indeed the case - but regrettably it would appear to be just one of the three Adams radials likely to be announced around now leaving me wishing that companies might more sensibly announce their future plans up to two years in advance (almost like Bachmann do, well in effect they do). 

I agree with Mike (Stationmaster), that there is likely to be one model, as yet unannounced, that is being worked on by 3 or 4 manufacturers. Dave Jones of DJ Models stated this yesterday talking about a model announcement in 26-28 days, which involved an as yet unannounced model that 3 manufacturers were working on, the timescale quoted must be the launch of Oxford Rail. I agree that unfortunately the Adams Radial, may be that model, as its been hinted by Kernow Models that it is the steam model they intend to announce at Warley, the new Austrains UK offshoot has hinted that it would be interested in producing a Radial. Graham Muspratt, who advises a number of manufacturers on Southern related models, answered Dave Jones point to the effect that he is aware of 4 manufacturers involved with the same prototype for a model, presumably from requests for research he has received. There surely isn't the market for 4 producers with the same model, so it may depend on who is more advanced along the R&D route. From earlier posts Oxford Rail may have already started tooling some models, which may give them a lead, however who is the 4th interested manufacturer, one possibility is Hornby, who have a significant catalogue of Southern related models and who don't announce new models until they are virtually ready to commence tooling.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The thing which concerns me about this sort of duplication (for it seems likely that is exactly what it is) is the fact that someone might have gone to considerable efforts to ensure that they can produce all common variants of a particular class (e.g. all three of the radials in their final BR condition, not an easy task) and thus have spent a lot of time and possibly money getting things sorted before announcing.  Equally their announcement could be part of a long term product plan which they have gradually been working towards.

Then another party suddenly comes into the situation with what might be - as far as modellers are concerned - no reputation and no 'pedigree' in development terms who offer up what might or might not be just a single version but which gets other running numbers and liveries slapped on it.  In the meanwhile because they are further behind or because the emerging competition is spinning an over-optimistic yarn the folk who've put in masses of hard work and taken time to get it right before going public are left holding a lot of useful research and good production ideas but little else.  Net result is that not only does the innovator lose out but also modellers might get a poorer deal.

And I wonder if wishlists might well have contributed to this state of affairs as folk with little else in the way of background or knowledge, and possibly even limited direct contact with modellers, simply cherry pick high scorers off wishlists?

• RMweb Premium

We've been through the "too much of a bad thing"

We've had the "just enough of a good thing"

We've recently suffered the "where on earth is the promised good thing"

And now where in the " being bombarded by uncoordinated potentially good things" era.

In a way I'm starting to prefer the 7mm game. If you want something there's a high probability you'll have to build it yourself. IMO the 4mm world is now reaching the "tears before bedtime" stage. With all this product demanding attention not every product will be a success.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I would like to see all the main manufacturers sit round a table with a list of prototypes and divvy them up between them so there's no duplications; however, the chances of a logical, reasonable approach like that being adopted appear to be highly unlikely...

Would be nice though...

David

If they did that they would all end up with criminal records. Such actions are deemed anti-competitive and illegal. I suspect this is why they don't do it...

(Yes, I've had the joy of having to go through multiple lots of anti-bribery, anti-corruption and anti-competitive training at work)

I'm sure that Chris is correct, the argument would be that if the others gave, say Hornby, a free run at a King then Hornby could charge what they wanted for it as there was no direct competition. In reality, it's probably the case that any manufacturer would need to keep their large 4-6-0 priced roughly alongside competitors large 4-6-0's. Nonetheless, it's still potentially anti competitive.

I did wonder whether there was a place for an independent clearing house. Not so much to divvy up the prototypes but to somehow confidentially track new models in development and give a steer to other manufacturers i.e. You're considering a King, be aware there's already one at the 'x' stage of development. It would need to ensure it didn't just allow manufacturers to stake a claim and then sit on it for years. However, even if it could be done, it still might fall foul of anti competition laws.

It's a difficult one for sure, duplication doesn't really help either manufacturer or modeller. (Other than possibly driving up the standard of a model, though, conversely, it might drive them down to a price).

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

If they did that they would all end up with criminal records. Such actions are deemed anti-competitive and illegal. I suspect this is why they don't do it...

“People of the same trade seldom meet together, even for merriment and diversion, but the conversation ends in a conspiracy against the public, or in some contrivance to raise prices.”  Adam SmithThe Wealth of Nations: An Inquiry into the Nature & Causes of the Wealth of Nations
  • Like 3

In some sectors people from various companies do talk to each other and even have regular meetings.

How do you think European standards are written? They do not just happen by accident, there is a heck of a lot of the big boys looking after themselves.

It was funny how the technical people were always on friendly terms while the sales people kept each other at arms length.

As for MOD work it was always the done thing to write tenders in such a precise way that only one company could comply on any viable sort of basis.

We got X % so and so got Y % and the others picked up the crumbs.

Probably strictly illegal but it has always been that way.

Was there not a one time a body called META?

Something on those lines could help in a case like this one.

Bernard

I'm sure you're right in much of what you say Bernard but agreeing standards which benefit everyone, in some ways the customer most, is far removed from getting together to carve up product ranges, eradicate competition or fix prices. Many industries have trade associations, they have to avoid becoming cartels.