The Unnamed Shed

• RMweb Gold

So as some people will know I am struggling with the track plan for my module of Hailsham station however I always had plans for a couple of big modules as well as several scenic ones so here is the first plan for my second module an engine shed that is inspired by another layout I have seen on here (Coleborne Junction, see page 4 post #115 for some good pics of the shed area). What I am after from this post is some feedback about the plan any improvements that people think could be made. I plan on the module being made of separate sections of about 4ft each allowing easier transport the final baseboard will have edges that come closer to the track so it wont be a big rectangle.

So here is the first design:

Shed.jpg

and here are some download links for a bigger image and the AnyRail plan for anyone who wants to have a play:

Large Image: http://ramblingsofageek.co.uk/railway/shedModule/ShedLarge.jpg

AnyRail Plan: http://ramblingsofageek.co.uk/railway/shedModule/Shed.any

Looking forward to feedback,

Gary

A couple of thoughts spring to mind.

1) Unless the station is always on the left hand side then everything going to/from shed may have to reverse at least once.

2) Is only one line in and out of everything the best option?  Might there not be a way in from the right hand side joining the shed roads near the turntable (so you can use the headshunt then reverse in) an option?

3) I'm not sure about the crossovers where they are - as I mentioned earlier, they require a reversal to get in.

4) The right hand crossover seems a bit redundant where it is anyway?

I guess the key issue is that in a modular arrangement you don't always know what will be each side of your board(s) so whilst the prototype may fit exactly as is, there needs to be a bit of "deviation from prototype" to give the flexibility.  I know facing crossovers are frowned upon in some situations but they do exist where required.

I don't have Anyrail (I use xtrackcad) but I'll have a bit of a fiddle around tomorrow and see if I can draw up something that gives some alternative thoughts.

You also appear to have pointwork crossing board joins, I guess that's just a quirk of this being first draft to see how things fit rather than everything fitting perfectly around board joints.

• RMweb Gold

Thanks 'Nut,

All good points, the reason for the crossovers at each end is so that if the module is being used as a single track then the second (bottom) line can be used as a passing loop.

I agree about getting into the shed and had not even thought about that. I am now trying to think of a way of putting in a line as you suggest.

Yes the pointwork crossing board joins is just a quirk of it being a first draft and really just wanting a feel of what I can do at this stage, The turntable would also need to move on the final version as it would foul a support placed where it is.

Gary

Had a play with XTrackCAD this morning as an interpretation of your ideas, taking in a few of the suggestions I made together with Landlord's comments about the coal wagons.

post-8328-0-20644100-1412838641_thumb.jpg

Key points

- access from both ends

- run-round option as well as turntable

- coaling accessible from turntable road rather than turntable itself

- sorry for using a few more points! 

Feel free to use or ignore as requested... it's an interesting plan although it would probably need some adjustments for me as I'm a diesel modeller, and something I may put on the back burner for a rainy day - having said that, a few depots retained turntables into diesel days and apart from perhaps removing the coaling sidings or converting them into a fuelling point, it may actually not require that much modification.

• RMweb Gold

Ian, Thanks that hadn't even crossed my mind.

'Nut, Thanks for that I like that plan and may well use it as is. I model late steam / early diesel and im sure you'll be glad to know that one of my 3 diesels is a Crompton , currently in NSE livery so a bit out of period for the late '60's but this will get a repaint at some point. Although I may move to modelling NSE at some point in the future.

Gary

It was just a quick 15 minute "chuck together" so I am sure you will be able to do a better job and make it more flowing and less "square to baseboard edge" as your original one was.

One modification I might make is where the line on the right comes in, I would put a Y point at the end of the straight bit and another point to connect it to the adjacent line alongside the shed, and inbetween the loop that creates put a fuelling point - perhaps the Knightwing one - and for my more modern era I'd probably dump the coal sidings meaning overall the same number of points.

You might also find a couple of three way points would be useful - here's one with a Y point for your four shed roads, for example.

post-8328-0-38868900-1412846282_thumb.jpg

Afraid not - and nobody seems to have dimensions anywhere on their website.

I gave Knightwing a call and it's 9 1/4" long and about 2" wide apparently - they didn't have one to hand either :)

An alternative is the Bachmann one - http://www.ehattons.com/24629/Bachmann_Branchline_44_040_Diesel_fuelling_point_Scenecraft_range_162_x_37_x_56mm_/StockDetail.aspx - which gives dimensions of 162 x 37 x 56mm.

Looks great, somewhere to store a load of engines, assume though that at a meet you may not want together them all out and many will be be with fixed rakes ? Smaller shed, more general storage?

Will you align at each end so that the module can be easily connected at each end to other modules ?

• RMweb Gold

One of the reasons I made the shed plan the size it is was so that whole trains could be stored in a fixed rake if needed. But the main reason I thought about a Shed was so that we had something big to break up an endless line of stations.

As a quick update. I have put 'Nut's plan into AnyRail and am now playing with that for V2. Just trying to fit the diesel fuelling depot in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I have been working on finishing off jobs I had started on the roundy-roundy as well as the new plan for this which is based on 'nuts one and includes a diesel fueling point. I'm on my mobile at the moment but i will upload the plan for your scrutiny later this evening

• RMweb Gold

As promised the second design of my shed. I like this one a lot more It has a 4 road shed, a turntable, 2 coaling roads that are easier to get access to that the old version and a diesel re-fueling point. Once again ignore the shape of the baseboard the final version will have a board that fits into the modular standards.

ShedV2.jpg

And as usual an AnyRail link to the plan: http://ramblingsofageek.co.uk/railway/shedModule/ShedV2.any

Enjoy

Gary

Archived