Kilbrannan Ferry

Rannoch Moor

Well, after a hint from Dave, and in the absence of photogenic updates on the Ferry pending return to Scotland this weekend, here are the results of the last couple of weeks' modelling in HMS COLLINGWOOD...

attachicon.gifIMG_0891.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0892.JPG

The above is the Cambrian LMS Van (Dia 1832? if I remember correctly). Built straight from the packet except for Lanarkshire Model Supplies buffers and brake gear and levers b ABS whitemetal. Painted with Lifecolor BR wagon grey and underframe with an airbrushed mix of Phoenix Dirty Black and Frame Dirt. Rusting ironwork created with a wash of dilute oil paint, finishing with an airbrushed haze of general grime (Frame Dirt and HU29) gently washed off with a thinners dampened brush. Just noticed the decals have silvered a little...! Bah!!!

attachicon.gifIMG_0895.JPG

attachicon.gifIMG_0897.JPG

This one (a quicky!) is a Bachmann wagon repainted again with Lifecolor Acrylic with Hu72 for the interior cream. This was a Scaleforum bring and buy stall bargain (along with a blue Cl 27) and was weathered much as above.

attachicon.gifIMG_0900.JPG

Finally, the coal merchant's lorry - I need to think up a name - Jas Campbell and Son seems appropriate - before plucking up courage to letter it and then weather it (along with providing a load of sacks empty and full). Also will need some Argyllshire reg plates...

Hope you enjoy,

Gus

Hi Gus, I have just had another look through and it looks really good, as for Collingwood, I used to work opposite at what was then Doves Ford, I think it may be Hendys now.

All the best and keep the pics coming.

Andy

• RMweb Gold

It is indeed Andy and thanks for your comments - much appreciated.  Once I thaw out from another foot of ballasting I will set off to drive the return journey from Helensburgh to Collingrad!

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Some more ballasting - and whilst not fun it's progressing much more pleasingly.  I have settled on gently sprinkling the Woodland Scenics from between index finger and thumb between the sleepers etc (much simpler and quicker than flooding by using a teaspoon or the perspex spreader I picked up at Scaleforum as it does not require spreading with a brush).  Here is a phot to show how its going along with a couple of an EBay bargain (ish) I weathered up (usual Phoenix mix of frame dirt and weathered black with a touch of Metalcote Gunmetal, plus Lifecolor Tensocrom Fuel and oil for the fuel dribbles) in between sessions and the other 3 projects I'm working on...!

post-1879-0-13217700-1366579025_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-49393500-1366578988_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-41910300-1366579010_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

James (and Dave),

Tanks for the comments.  I very gently sprayed the Tensocrom "Oil" (the brown one!) on neat to build up the layers - as it's a glaze, you need tpo take your time so as not to flood it too much inadvertently.  I then let it partially dry for a few mins and agitated it with a brush very slightly dampened brush to get the vertical streaking a bit better.  I then used the pink "Fuel" and blue "Kerosene" to vary the colour by brush.  Once all was dry I brushed on a touch of gloss varnish to give a sheen.

BTW, the stays (wires) were painted over with Metalcote Gunmetal and burnished to remove the chrome effect and make them look a bit more like oiled steel wire cable.  To think it was pristine on Friday!  My wife says it is such a waste of money to "ruin" them...

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Started ballasting and ground covering the quay-side sidings this weekend using  the DAS clay I bought at the Glasgow show - the colour is a bit far out but once dried doesn't look too bad.  Secret I've found is that a little goes a long way, particularly in trying to maintain "fresh air" under the rail between the sleepers.

Have also started to cut out and fix the contour boards along the front of the layout -they are really beginning to make a difference.  I will do the same for the rear side but will only add a backscene once the layout is sibstantially completed - this is due to access.  I am duty next weekend but will try and post some photos to show my "methods" the week afterwards.  I also need to build in a lighting rig with some suitable spots.  The scenic section is around 12 feet long and i would like to srt that out before I go too far down the painting route. 

Suggestions gratefully recieved although I am tempted by a central beam that carries the lights, running lengthways above the rough centre-line of the layout. 

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

As well as working on my K2 (see separate post in kit and Scratch building)I have finished the main line ballasting and started the sidings (using DAS clay). I have also fitted all of the front scenery formers and started fitting some of the contour cormers. Here's a few pics which I hope speak for themselves - leave starts tomorrow (my last before I retire and start my new job back home...!) so hopefully I can post some more progress later...

post-1879-0-97825000-1374176903_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-64183500-1374176907_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-94336600-1374176905_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Only retiring from the navy Andy - will be starting new paid employment as a marine pilot berthing ships and submarines in our Scottish naval base. No more commuting so more time for modelling. Alas, holidays and decorating the hall (and finishing an aeromodelling project - Bolton Paul Sea Balliol!) kept me away from the Ferry

Gus

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold

My goodness - just realised that it was well over a year since I last posted on the Ferry!  An idle afternoon at work and a rummage through RMWeb does wonders.  Haven't been idle though - the scenic structures on Kilbrannan Ferry are now in place and have a layer of colour on them.  Next job is to start the scenic detailing either by doing the burn that flows under the bridge or by getting the ground cover on - or even a bit of both.

Also have a few new locos and stock items - a EM converted 4F with snowplough tender (Fort William's 44255 needless to say) and a couple of weathered Bogie Bolster A's that I got from the recent Hornby Black Friday sale.  Time to get snapping I think!

• RMweb Gold

Here are a few shots of the rolling stock I've been working on too... 44255 still needs couplings but as an old non running Airfix EBay bargain has a Comet chassis with sandboxes and Gibson drivers and a Comet tender chassis. The new funnel and dome are Brassmasters and the snow plough cover on the tender is scratch built from plasticard.

The bogie bolsters have been weathered using mig products with the planking painted in the Lifecolor Weathered Wood set and then washed with several highly diluted washes of Phoenix Precision Weathered Wood enamel. The wheels on one have just had their Hornby ones re-gauged and the other has a set of Gibson 8 spoke ones. Like the Ferry they are all EM.

post-1879-0-75545700-1419373801_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-47269000-1419373958_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-82266100-1419374042_thumb.jpgpost-1879-0-73279200-1419374234_thumb.jpg

Archived