Kilbrannan Ferry

Rannoch Moor

• RMweb Gold

A great afternoon spent modelling - 2 Eduard Me110s for those who like aeroplanes, but probably of more interest (and relevance!), I finished planting rocks and colouring them on the layout.

post-1879-0-72675800-1420052740_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-03037200-1420052870_thumb.jpg

The rocks and boulders are all moulded using Woodland Scenics plaster in their own moulds. I fixed them in place with Polyfilla which I used to blend these into the landscape. This looked good until I came to colour them, again using Woodland Scenics liquid pigments. These are utterly brilliant I think. Using photos, I spotted randomly the plaster mouldings with black and burnt umber, suitably diluted, then washed over all with the slate grey, diluted even further following the instructions. Highly successful except that thePolyfilla stays white!!! To a point this looks ok but it an be gently scraped off with a finger nail and/or hidden with vegetation.

To my mind though, this has captured well the look of grey Highland granite which is often portrayed in too light and monotone a tone of grey, and with insufficient red (portrayed here by the dots of burnt umber).post-1879-0-87498300-1420053537_thumb.jpg

PS the last one seems to have come out on its side.....

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Haven't been idle since last post - have got the basic grassy ground cover on using a range of static grasses etc to try and capture the newly lush (ie rain watered!) ground typical of the west highlands in late May/early June. I'm pleased with how the stream has turned out and the loco servicing area too. The track is part painted - it has had a reasonable blow using Phoenix Track Dirt as the basic colour - and the sleepers are being treated randomly to various thicknesses of Phoenix Sleeper Grime and the excellent Woodland Scenics paint pen Weathered Ties. The latter looks too light when wet but dries to a pleasing effect. I have also started on the signals - below is the near finished platform starter. Suppose I'd better do a back scene sometime too!

Thanks for looking in,

Gus

post-1879-0-35986500-1437073929_thumb.jpg

The above shows about half of the length of the layout.

post-1879-0-54308100-1437073992_thumb.jpg

The burn....

post-1879-0-78925600-1437074079_thumb.jpg

post-1879-0-83198000-1437074113_thumb.jpg

The station area and buffer stops

post-1879-0-15539300-1437074538_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Gold

More progress on painting sleepers this afternoon - actually quite therapeutic, makes a positive difference, and hard to muck up. Once that is done, will start on rusting the rails using AK Interactive acrylics Dark Rust. And Humbrol Brown Bess.

• 3 weeks later...

Gus, this is looking amazing. You're clearly getting the best out of your 'retirement'! My own is progressing along similar lines except for the fact that I'm piloting a wee van rather than shipping! ;-)

I even get some modelling done on occasion! Great to see 'The Ferry' making progress.

Dave.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Just found this thread when browsing the Scottish layout thread!

Very interesting, as I'm in the planning stage and want to build a "could have been" scenario I just explored possible routes south to the Mull of Kintyre last weeks, using Google Earth and online OS maps (great tools to do armchair survey).

So I found out the route that was proposed by the CR (Oban to Campbelltown) and I surveyed the terrain for a line from Arrochar and Tarbet to Cairndow and further south, as you did.

For the last one a lot of tunnels and spirals would be needed, as the road climbs in an average 1:20, so the railway would need at least 2.5 times the distance!

But I have never seen railways constructed in the way they did in the alps in the UK, and especialy for a branch like this the building costs of such a route would not return in a millenium.

But that's some thoughts, this is eventually not the chosen subject for my layout.

Everything built so far looks excellent, and great wheatering on the loco's and roling stock.

I just bought the Caley coaches 812 kit, so I'm warned by your experience to be very carefull with the fitting of these hornblock guides.

Just keep on going this way, quality has time.

Archived