Rob's 7mm WR workbench

lancer1027

Nice work Rob, are you casting the engine theaters or scatchbuilding the lot?

Hi Phill,

Im going to scratch build them. Theres not that much to them really and i have already started collecting/ cutting bits for others.

Rob

+ 1

These engine part look brilliant first hand.

Steve

Bit of an up-date. Although not much to report it is progress.

First up is i have got the first coat of primer on another mk2 TSO and also a dia 733  Brake Stowage Van ( BPOT ). Obviously they will need another couple of coats but i use this first one as a witness coat to highlight any areas that need rubbing down/work etc.

post-6779-0-19788800-1419170763.jpg

post-6779-0-85590600-1419170787.jpg

You can see that now the first coat of primer is on it has highlighted some "issues" with the roof on the mk2 TSO so this will be donw as soon as i get chance.

Next up is some work on the roof to the dia 731 Sorting Van ( POS ).

This has a large panel that lies on the roof at one end which is a panel that covers VHF radio aerials. This will be made out of a piece of plasticard. I have marked and drilled out where the roof vents go and glued these into position.

post-6779-0-88530700-1419170809.jpg

post-6779-0-79457800-1419170837.jpg

I have also started a dia 720 which has the large side windows and net recess and i will post pics of progress on this soon.

To finish off here is a pic of my scratch built Tool Van which will be part of my Laira Breakdown Train.

Rob

post-6779-0-99714500-1419171327.jpg

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Been a while since i last posted but here are a couple of pics of the Heljan VAA i picked up from Kettering Show yesterday.

post-6779-0-23678800-1425810441.jpg

post-6779-0-49648500-1425810470.jpg

Very nice. Although there seems to be a recuring " issue " with the brake lever that needs fixing back on. Still i've done that and it does look nice. Just got to do some light weathering.

Rob

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I have took a few pics of the projects im doing at the moment.    Here they are at various stages.

First up is TPO M80347 dia 731 Sorting van. I still have to put the VHF pod on the roof and spray roof grey. This i will probably sell not sure yet.

post-6779-0-56279000-1431272726.jpg

Next is TPO W80300 dia 720 Sorting van. I am still working on the roof . This has Kadee couplings fitted to fit into my rake and will be weathered once i have done the roof.

post-6779-0-27407800-1431272744.jpg

And last is a general pic of 4 vehicles at various stages of spraying.

From left to right is a Mk2 FK which has now had its blue sprayed, just leaving roof grey then transfers etc.

Next is another TPO this is a Stowage Brake dia 733 probably to be numbered M80457, this has also just had its blue sprayed and i may also sell this but again not sure.

The 3rd is another Mk2 this time a TSO which has had its grey sprayed. Then it will have blue done.

The last one is another Mk2 FK which is in primer and i was going to spray grey but noticed it needed a little work doing first. The grey should get sprayed soon though.

post-6779-0-26347500-1431272761.jpg

• Like 14

• 2 weeks later...

Bit more progress update.

post-6779-0-58015400-1432319208.jpg

Here is a pic of various vehicles showing a mk2 TSO having its lining put on.Also showing the interior which still needs some work doing. This includes headrests painting, tables fitting etc.

Also in the pic is the dia 733 Brake Stowage TPO which is also having its whit linig added. I am struggling to find any pics of a brake stowage in blue grey so i know where the " Royal Mail " goes plus the crests and number etc. So if anyone could help with a pic of any of the 80456, 57, 58 i would be grateful.

Also in the pic lurking in the background is a mk2 FK which has just been masked off and had its first coat of blue. Should get its second coat tomorrow..

Finally here are a couple of pics of the other mk2 FK which has recently had its transfers on. Needs varnishing then glazing plus roof spraying grey and some light weathering.

post-6779-0-87330900-1432319218.jpg

post-6779-0-14914100-1432319257.jpg

Hope you like.

Rob

• Like 11

Originally it was 9 but for the second FK i did the same as i did for the TSO's useing 3 pieces. I then started at one end and cut the window pillars out to where the first section is. Then using an etched window frame measured and fitted a new window pillar out of plasticard.

Once i had glued about 2 or 3 i left it to harden. Then carrying on .

Although the next FK will be just two pieces and i will cut out all pillars before i join the two pieces together creating a coach with one long open strip . Then i can cut the pillars and glue the windows as i go along.

When i start the next , which will be soon, i will take some step by step pics.

Rob :sungum:

• Like 1

I have started work on my 3rd FK last night and took a couple of pics to illustrate the process.

post-6779-0-27749800-1432532605.jpg

post-6779-0-43376500-1432532641.jpg

These show two sections of big big's with door apperture at each end. Then i cut out the window pillars using a dremel and cutting disc ( being careful as sometimes the odd coach had very brittle plastic.

Once all pillars were removed then using the etch window frames i started to mark out spacings .Then using 100thou plasticard i cut a strip the correct height and gradually started to work my way along.

Here is a pic of the previous FK corridor side to show the results.

post-6779-0-84975200-1432533429.jpg

Rob

• Like 5

I have started work on my 3rd FK last night and took a couple of pics to illustrate the process.

attachicon.gifDSCN0602.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0601.JPG

These show two sections of big big's with door apperture at each end. Then i cut out the window pillars using a dremel and cutting disc ( being careful as sometimes the odd coach had very brittle plastic.

Once all pillars were removed then using the etch window frames i started to mark out spacings .Then using 100thou plasticard i cut a strip the correct height and gradually started to work my way along.

attachicon.gifDSCN0619.JPG

Rob

Very nice work Rob, very nice indeed!

• Like 1

Yes Phill, i am using superglue.

When you hold a window etch up to a plasticard pillar you will see that as long as your accurate with the spacings then the frame hides the square corners.

I have now run out of white lining so ordered some more from Fox. This will allow me to finish the other side to the next TSO.

This will give me 6x TSO, 2x FK and a BFK all done bar the glazing. I have another 3x TSO and an FK at various stages of build.

Rob :sungum:

• Like 1

attachicon.gifDSCN0602.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0601.JPG

attachicon.gifDSCN0619.JPG

Rob

Absolutely fantastic work on the coaches.

Mind you - it's about time you got that bench sanded down and painted too!

• Like 1

Here is a pic of 1xTSO and 2x FK lined .

post-6779-0-21919900-1432879520.jpg

Just realised that the chassis/underframe isnt finished plus i still have the interior to doon the second FK. Oooops , must crack on with that.

I have also given my peak a witness coat of primer.

This i will check when totally hardened and sort any "issues". Once this is done then it will have its warning panel yellow tidied then blue can be sprayed.

post-6779-0-73843000-1432879547.jpg

Rob

Edited by lancer1027
  • Like 5