Cadder yard

westie7

Funnily enough, wondered the same thing myself, so looked it up on Network Rail. The works just now are to prepare the yard to be used as the electrification depot for the wiring of the Edinburgh to Glasgow line (finally). There is also some speculation that after that is completed then the area may be used as the TMD for the stock to be used on the line. Originally this was intended to be at St Ninian's (just outside Stirling) but the locals managed to win an appeal there because of potential noise issues (on electric stock??) Cadder would be ideal for this depot, and there is also talk of a Parkway style station at the west end of the yard as both Lenzie and Bishopbriggs are not ideal for car parking.

Cheers, my excuse for not thinking about looking up NR is I was like a half shut knife this morning.

Makes sense with the concrete hard standing areas beside some of the sidings. The amount of the old trackwork that has been lifted is quite severe, will be interesting to see how this plays out

• 5 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

A question regarding Cadder Yard and its closure as a freight depot along with other Glasgow yards and depots in the early 1980's. I have always assumed that the rationalisation was a straight response to the continuing downturn in freight traffic and the desire to rationalise and centralise at Mossend. I ask because I am trying to get my head around the changes seen to the starting point for freight traffic on the West Highland Line which moved from Cadder to Mossend around this time. For example in the 1980 WTT, WHL freight traffic started at Cadder, in 1981 it started from Sighthill and 1982 from Mossend.  The number of scheduled daily freight trains also changed with a reduction in Fort William to Glasgow services from 5 in 1980 to 3 from 1981.

Can anyone shed any greater light on this? 

• RMweb Gold

From another Forum I discovered the side by side georeferenced map website; what a resource. Although I cannot find a map of Glasgow in the 1970's, the link below takes you to an view that compares today with the 1950's. The change in the amount of railway is staggering, from my research perspective it shows clearly where the Sighthill freight depot was located. 

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by-side/#zoom=15&lat=55.8782&lon=-4.2299&layers=193&right=osm

If anyone can provide any further insight to my questions above I would be grateful

Edited by young37215

The book to read is "British Railway Marshalling Yards" by Michael Rhodes, which details the rise and fall of the yards including Cadder (closed 1980).  It is worth noting that Sighthill was extensively rebuilt between 1958 and 1961 to provide Glasgow with a modern goods depot, it lasted until 1981 when any remaining traffic was transferred to High Street.  There was ane other mashalling yard at Robroyston, which closed in 1967 and was the Caledonian equivalant of the NB yards at Cadder.

Jim

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
32 minutes ago, luckymucklebackit said:

The book to read is "British Railway Marshalling Yards" by Michael Rhodes, which details the rise and fall of the yards including Cadder (closed 1980).  It is worth noting that Sighthill was extensively rebuilt between 1958 and 1961 to provide Glasgow with a modern goods depot, it lasted until 1981 when any remaining traffic was transferred to High Street.  There was ane other mashalling yard at Robroyston, which closed in 1967 and was the Caledonian equivalant of the NB yards at Cadder.

Jim

Thanks Jim, this is helpful. It is sods law that British Railway Marshalling Yards is one of the few books by Michael Rhodes that I do'nt already have.  Nevermind, I have manged to find one on Ebay at a reasonable price which I have bought. 

I am guessing/assuming that any freight to or from the WHL that started/finished further south such as china clay and timber for example, would have been trip worked to/from Sighthill to Mossend for onward transfer. Can you confirm or do you know different?

regards Rob

18 hours ago, young37215 said:

Thanks Jim, this is helpful. It is sods law that British Railway Marshalling Yards is one of the few books by Michael Rhodes that I do'nt already have.  Nevermind, I have manged to find one on Ebay at a reasonable price which I have bought. 

I am guessing/assuming that any freight to or from the WHL that started/finished further south such as china clay and timber for example, would have been trip worked to/from Sighthill to Mossend for onward transfer. Can you confirm or do you know different?

regards Rob

China Clay and Timber wold not have been routed via Sighthill after the depot was rebuilt as it was essentially a sundries depot (later run by NCL).  This traffic was a relatively modern flow and would have been routed via Mossend.  Traditional trip freight in vans would have originated at Sighthill or High Street.

Jim

• Thanks 1

On 03/01/2020 at 12:05, luckymucklebackit said:

China Clay and Timber wold not have been routed via Sighthill after the depot was rebuilt as it was essentially a sundries depot (later run by NCL).  This traffic was a relatively modern flow and would have been routed via Mossend.  Traditional trip freight in vans would have originated at Sighthill or High Street.

Jim

When did High Street close?

57 minutes ago, GordonC said:

When did High Street close?

No there is a question I would love to accurately answer!   Most station closures can be hsitorically recorded to the day, thanks to the statutory processes, however for some reason establishing the day that the shutters were finally brought down at High Street Goods Station seems to be very difficult.  Most web sites give it as "early 1980s" but I know that it outlasted Sighthill which closed in Februrary 1981 so it has to be sometime between 81 and 85.

Edit - there is one photograph on Rail-Scot showing the main building being demolished in May 1985, this states that the station had been closed three years previously, that would point to 1982, can't get any more precise than that

Jim

Edited by luckymucklebackit
  • Informative/Useful 2

Great Photo!  At one time there was another goods station at Barrack Street (just to the south of the line and just behond High Street Signalbox, this was designated "Glasgow International Freight Terminal" for a while, remember passing the sign when travelling by train from my home in Airdrie to Glasgow

Jim