Colas Rail classes 66 and 70

Budgie

• RMweb Gold

Has anyone got any idea why Farish have not released their classes 66 and 70 models in Colas livery yet? I would have thought it would not be difficult to do this, and would result in an immediate positive cash-flow for them.

The 70 will need a modification to the tooling in order to be correct as the real locos had an additional cooling system which the Freightliner ones didn't (although they are now having it added).

They've already done a Colas 66, haven't they?

• RMweb Gold

The 70 will need a modification to the tooling in order to be correct as the real locos had an additional cooling system which the Freightliner ones didn't (although they are now having it added).

So I suppose it'll take them forever to modify the tool. Or they could issue the original model in the Colas livery, even though it is wrong.

They've already done a Colas 66, haven't they?

Damn. Missed that.

So I suppose it'll take them forever to modify the tool. Or they could issue the original model in the Colas livery, even though it is wrong.

Damn. Missed that.

Several Farish Colas 66s on ebay at the moment - just looked! Dapol have done a twin pack too, with one loco powered and the other a dummy.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

As others have said, there are Colas 66s out there already by both Dapol and Farish.

As to the 70, AFAIK the modification takes the appearance of a box on the side of the bodyshell.  I would have thought that such a detailing part would be ideal for one of the aftermarket suppliers to consider.

I did ask Bachmann about this at their open day in the summer incidentally, but the 70 (in both OO and N) has not sold as well as hoped so putting more money into altering the tooling seems unlikely at this time.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Hi there,

As others have said, there are Colas 66s out there already by both Dapol and Farish.

As to the 70, AFAIK the modification takes the appearance of a box on the side of the bodyshell.  I would have thought that such a detailing part would be ideal for one of the aftermarket suppliers to consider.

I did ask Bachmann about this at their open day in the summer incidentally, but the 70 (in both OO and N) has not sold as well as hoped so putting more money into altering the tooling seems unlikely at this time.

cheers

Ben A.

So issue the model in its wrong configuration, and either add the box in the bag of things to be attached or let the aftermarket produce the extra bit. Then those that want to can add it and those that couldn't care less can ignore it.

• RMweb Gold

Several Farish Colas 66s on ebay at the moment - just looked! Dapol have done a twin pack too, with one loco powered and the other a dummy.

A twin pack of 56s would be more appropriate, i always seem to have a dead one behind my working one in real life!!

• RMweb Gold

So issue the model in its wrong configuration, and either add the box in the bag of things to be attached or let the aftermarket produce the extra bit. Then those that want to can add it and those that couldn't care less can ignore it.

Hi there,

The problem is that the market has become more fastidious. Issuing models with known flaws is not tolerated as once it was. Overall this has been a development for the good, though I appreciate in this instance it may feel frustrating.

If the Freightliner versions had sold well, and as the modification is being retro fitted to their locos anyway, it would make sense for Farish to modify their tooling. However, as sales have been disappointing this seems unlikely. Unfortunately, the flip side to this is that to the cottage manufacturers making a new detailing part may not seem worth doing - all that research and effort only to see Farish announce it in a year or two, before you've had a chance to recover your development costs, let alone turn a profit!

Cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Has the market really got so picky that the missing box on the sides would preclude the release of what would otherwise be a very popular model?

Despite there being a vocal minority on internet forums, who would be up in arms, I'm sure the majority of folk wouldn't mind or be happy to add one themselves.

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately, the flip side to this is that to the cottage manufacturers making a new detailing part may not seem worth doing - all that research and effort only to see Farish announce it in a year or two, before you've had a chance to recover your development costs, let alone turn a profit!

Cheers

Ben A.

im sure PHDesigns do the grille as a 3D print?

the only other difference is the lack of weld seam on the cabside but i suspect in N it wouldnt be that noticable

• RMweb Gold

Hello all,

The loud banging I can hear is the sound of a nail being hit squarely on the head. 

I often feel that the quest for "total accuracy" has got stupid, and - for example - the vast majority would not notice, know or care about a missing grille on a Colas 70.

However, this hobby is not short of people who are especially concerned with detail and accuracy.  And the internet gives them a (disproportionately?) loud voice.

We've all observed the rush to find fault with new models when they come out (this is more pronounced in some sectors of the hobby than others) but the problem with online critiques is that beyond the username and avatar we have no real idea who the critic actually is:  It *could* be someone with many years of experience working with the prototypes, who genuinely knows the vehicle inside out, or it *could* be a 12-year-old in a bedroom with a couple of books and a flickr site.  We develop our own filters and develop our own mental list of who's worth listening to, but it doesn't stop supposed "errors" taking on a disproportionate significance.

Take the recent Arnold Brighton Belle - the web was awash with people fretting about the solebar cutouts (a necessary compromise, as explained eloquently in the thread by someone who actually knows the prototype) and people saying they would "pass" on the model because of them and yet once the models started arriving there's been barely a peep because, as I have found, when you're running the thing you can barely see them and you forget within the first 30 seconds.

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Has the market really got so picky that the missing box on the sides would preclude the release of what would otherwise be a very popular model?

Despite there being a vocal minority on internet forums, who would be up in arms, I'm sure the majority of folk wouldn't mind or be happy to add one themselves.

Not that I do modern diesels on N gauge, but can I see a detail from my operating seat?

No.

Doesn't matter then.

• RMweb Gold

I certainly hope that Farish do release the 70 in Colas livery.

Half the fun for me is adding those missing bits to make it a more personalised model. I am sure others would do the same with a bit of styrene and etch or similar. Accepted that plenty of modellers will not want to mess around with a loco though.

Ben, funny you should say that about the 5 BEL as the sole bar cut outs were difficult to see when running on the layout. I could infill them as ther is enough clearance on the curves but hardly seems worth it now.

Ian

• RMweb Gold

Ben, funny you should say that about the 5 BEL as the sole bar cut outs were difficult to see when running on the layout. I could infill them as ther is enough clearance on the curves but hardly seems worth it now.

Ian

Hi Ian,

Yes, I had pondered various schemes (thin Evergreen strip, black painted self adhesive labels cut to size) before the model arrived; 20 minutes testing session (very enjoyable) and now hardly giving it another thought!!!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Gold

Don't suppose you fancy doing a set of vinyls so one can relivery the Freightliner model, do you?

• RMweb Gold

I think the too much detail / accuracy argument is a very dangerous route to go down. It works both ways - whilst too much might be counter-productive, how do you strike the balance?

As an aside if anyone wants me to knock up a 3D print of the cooler box then please let me know - a good photo (or even better a measurement) would be helpful!

Cheers, Mike

• RMweb Gold

Don't suppose you fancy doing a set of vinyls so one can relivery the Freightliner model, do you?

I'm afraid that my vinyls would not work well on a 70 - it's far too bumpy....now a 60 might be possible, though!

• RMweb Gold

RE: Farish Colas Class 66.

I saw one (new?) on sale at Chelmsford today. Was sorely tempted but the cupboard is full! So perhapes it is still avaliable if you look around.

trident trains in nantwich have one in the cabinet, spotted it earlier when i popped up there, the farish one is the older livery one btw, with the helmet on the bodyside

Archived