Marleigh 0 gauge (changing again) whoops

spenc

Hi Rich

I saw them on Skytrex stand they was selling at 3 for £165 I know mine are second hand so still got value for money with 4 I had a look when I got home and there's nothing missing there's even transfers in each box to put on.I didn't go there to buy any that's what I told the wife so it looks like another layout in the making oops.

Steve

• Like 1

Hi Rich

I saw them on Skytrex stand they was selling at 3 for £165 I know mine are second hand so still got value for money with 4 I had a look when I got home and there's nothing missing there's even transfers in each box to put on.I didn't go there to buy any that's what I told the wife so it looks like another layout in the making oops.

Steve

I purchased some skytrex clay wagons- the flat ones, a year ago. Some of the wagons needed a bit of weight added as they bounced a bit over peco points. I also found the coupling hooks needed opening up a bit as some were a bit too tight.

They look pretty cool now.

Paul- Further Dougal.

I purchased some skytrex clay wagons- the flat ones, a year ago. Some of the wagons needed a bit of weight added as they bounced a bit over peco points. I also found the coupling hooks needed opening up a bit as some were a bit too tight.

They look pretty cool now.

Paul- Further Dougal.

Hi Paul

The ones with hoods seems to have enough weight in them but when I get some time I will run them over a point coupling hooks look alright,now I have a lot of planning to do now.

Steve

• 1 month later...

well its been nearly 2 months since i did anything, the wife at work so today i took the plunge and stripped the boards its going back to clay sidings and passenger platform in the 80s, parcel stock will be retired might be for sale, 31 will be renumbered and the DMUs, still be keeping the 08 will be getting another loco started putting the track on.

boards went from this

post-11944-0-64302100-1489955306_thumb.jpg

to this

post-11944-0-91102300-1489955084_thumb.jpg

Steve 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Hi Steve,

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you'd stripped the boards back!  Whats brought about the change of heart?  Still following with progress, there really is something about small china clay layouts - different length and OO gauge but Pengwynn Crossing was always one of my favourites as a kid - not sure what it is about china clay and Cornwall, but it definitely has something.

Rich

Hi Steve,

Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you'd stripped the boards back!  Whats brought about the change of heart?  Still following with progress, there really is something about small china clay layouts - different length and OO gauge but Pengwynn Crossing was always one of my favourites as a kid - not sure what it is about china clay and Cornwall, but it definitely has something.

Rich

Hi Rich

I built a layout back in 2012 0 gauge called spenford halt you can see it if you put the name in the search box at the top it was a clay works and small passenger station based in Devon,things changed and i sold it and my stock went back to 00 then back to 0 built Spenford road which was good but there was something missing i keep looking at the clay layout and thought thats it try and copy it with a few changes.

steve

• Like 1

Hi

Today got the rest of the track pinned down then wired had a few problems with the wire not cutting when clamping them sorted now all running ok here's a few pictures of what's going where.Platform where 121 is,loading bay where vanwide,loading bay where

The hoods are,headshunt where 31 is,then other buildings in between.

post-11944-0-46920000-1490558037_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-82336800-1490558074_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-58004100-1490558140_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-18315600-1490558211_thumb.jpg

Steve

Edited by spenc
  • Like 8

Done a bit on layout today until I ran out card sheet for the buildings to late to get some more started on the loading shed and platform for other shed,then sprayed the track and sleepers that's about it until I get more supplys.

post-11944-0-49249100-1491071384_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-80353500-1491071407_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-67472500-1491071425_thumb.jpg

post-11944-0-66627500-1491071442_thumb.jpg

Steve

• Like 8

Steve,

Shame you ripped up your previous layout, as it was looking great. However, I understand the urge to go back to China Clay lines. There is a definite attraction for them. One point I will make, and I hope you won't take offence at it. The Skytrex wagons are NOT correct Clayhoods.

Clayhoods, UCV, in TOPS, were 16' overall length, with a 9' wheelbase and have an end opening door. Unfortunately, there is no manufacture of this type in "O" gauge.

The only thing I can say is, if your not that worried about correct diagrams for wagons, then the Skytrex models do look the part.

You could always use Paarkside kit  GWR 12 Ton Open Goods Wagon 032/33, which is a good representation of the Clayliner wagons that were just tarpaulin covered, and were used to transport clay to the Midlands and the north. The other one that can be used for this trafic is the Dapol 7F-053-005 5 plank corrugated end BR Diag.44.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing the China Clay line develop.

Cheers

Mike

Hi Mike

I agree the hoods are not the correct ones i did wonder about using the Dapol or parkside and if they are air braked or i have to convert them or putting end doors on the Skytrex ones but i will look into them at a later date.It was a shame about the last layout but there was always that not just right about it and looking at my one before that and seeing the hoods for sale at Bristol got me wanting to do another one it will be North Devon again,i don,t mind anybody making comments more the better.

Steve

• Like 1

Steve,

I know how it is about "Not just right" layouts. I've had a look at you last Clay layout and can see why you want to go back to that. For many years now, it's bugged me that Parkside produce a lovely 4mm model of a clayhood, but have not done one in 7mm yet. I have contacted them several times and I always get the answer, "Maybe in the future" Grrrrrrrrrr .. well that was over 6 years ago, I'll be dead before they make it at this rate.

One suggestion on your new layout, if you don't mind. Please make sure that the whole area of the clay works is coated in a dusting of off white. That stuff sticks to everything once it gets damp, even the buildings.

Keep up the good work, look forward to seeing more.

Mike

• Like 2

Steve,

I know how it is about "Not just right" layouts. I've had a look at you last Clay layout and can see why you want to go back to that. For many years now, it's bugged me that Parkside produce a lovely 4mm model of a clayhood, but have not done one in 7mm yet. I have contacted them several times and I always get the answer, "Maybe in the future" Grrrrrrrrrr .. well that was over 6 years ago, I'll be dead before they make it at this rate.

One suggestion on your new layout, if you don't mind. Please make sure that the whole area of the clay works is coated in a dusting of off white. That stuff sticks to everything once it gets damp, even the buildings.

Mike

How big is the potential market for an 0 gauge RTR Clay Hood?

I would buy some if they were available, then I could build a small Layout about the size of my Chard Creamery layout.

Richard

• RMweb Premium

Similar West Country branch line appeal as milk tanks? But then kernow decided there wasn't a market and dropped their proposed commission.

Chris,

As with anything, it's an unknown quantity. However, my personal feelings are, that you see so many Cornish branch lines built in "O" gauge that I'm pretty sure the uptake would be large enough to warrant producing them. If the price was in the range of Dapol ready to run or Parkside kit range, then I know I would want to have a dozen at least for a start.

Mike

Chris,

As with anything, it's an unknown quantity. However, my personal feelings are, that you see so many Cornish branch lines built in "O" gauge that I'm pretty sure the uptake would be large enough to warrant producing them. If the price was in the range of Dapol ready to run or Parkside kit range, then I know I would want to have a dozen at least for a start.

Mike

Mike,

It doesn't just have to be a model set in Cornwall. John Vaughan's "Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains" has photos of Clay Hoods in The Potteries, at Severn Tunnel Junction, Bescot and Toton, and in  the West Highlands of Scotland. One photo shows  a BR Barclay 06 0-4-0DM at Markinch in Scotland with a single Clay Hood and a few 16T steel mineral wagons. The next piece of research is to determine if the chassis was used on other types wagons and vans.

• RMweb Premium

The next piece of research is to determine if the chassis was used on other types wagons and vans.

Unique I think as they were basically a straight replacement for the old GWR version. 9 foot wheelbase but different length body and solebars to the 16t mineral. I suggested Parkside could do a kit of the BR hood using existing chassis and they pointed out this difference.

There is an existing thread on these UCVs further back in 7mm. I was thinking of scratchbuilding a body and then make resin copies and use modified Parkside chassis parts. Although I will wait for Minerva now!

Edited by Hal Nail

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

It doesn't just have to be a model set in Cornwall. John Vaughan's "Illustrated History of West Country China Clay Trains" has photos of Clay Hoods in The Potteries, at Severn Tunnel Junction, Bescot and Toton, and in the West Highlands of Scotland. One photo shows a BR Barclay 06 0-4-0DM at Markinch in Scotland with a single Clay Hood and a few 16T steel mineral wagons. The next piece of research is to determine if the chassis was used on other types wagons and vans.

Sorry, this is confusing 2 wagon types.

The true Clay Hoods were the 9ft wheelbase end door tipplers which had the tent shaped hoods fitted around 1973. These only worked in Cornwall and Devon. TOPS code was UCV then OOV.

The longer distance workings noted above (so called Clayliner) used 10ft wheelbase 5 plank wagons i.e. general merchandise wagons with sheets but not the true hoods. They had roller bearing axle boxes later in life due to the longer distances travelled and tended to be all wooden bodies to avoid contamination of the load with rust.

Edited by Ramblin Rich

Sorry, this is confusing 2 wagon types.

The true Clay Hoods were the 9ft wheelbase end door tipplers which had the tent shaped hoods fitted around 1973. These only worked in Cornwall and Devon. TOPS code was UCV then OOV.

The longer distance workings noted above (so called Clayliner) used 10ft wheelbase 5 plank wagons i.e. general merchandise wagons with sheets but not the true hoods. They had roller bearing axle boxes later in life due to the longer distances travelled and tended to be all wooden bodies to avoid contamination of the load with rust.

Rich,

You are 100% correct. Clayhoods, 9' wheel base 16' over length, 5 equal planks, end door. They were only used within Cornwall for taking clay from the drys to the ports of Fowey and Par.

Edited by Mike Huxley

Steve,

Mike

Hi Mike

Thanks for liking the the last clay layout I did, I didn't get round to giving it a good weathering before it got sold but this one will,it's got to be my last one I build my bank manageress has told me no more ripping them up i can extend if room available she liked the last one.

Steve