Some pics, Class 31

gelboy45

• RMweb Premium

I can't recall ever seeing a green loco with the "arrows of indecision" logo. Or is it a post-blue era repaint into green?

There are some photos on Flickr of such a livery combination, not my pictures but here are two examples. Does seem to be quite rare so an interesting choice by Farish.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwf2009/5643477463/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/rgadsdon/4852453297

Personally cannot wait to get hands on the new 31.

Edited by maq1988
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

There are a fair few more GFYE 31s with BR arrows on Brushveterans site

https://www.flickr.com/photos/59835095@N02/sets/72157627773064944/page2/

Granted more appear to have the original "ferret and dartboard" emblem, but I may just buy one.

Plans for my early 1970s Cameo of the Highbridge- Bason bridge remnant of the S&DJR are shaping up now with motive power- a few Hymeks, warships, a 22, a couple of Westerns a class 14 are in the roster so far. A couple of WR 31s and a newly acquired 25 will add some variety to the milk traffic and demolition trains, at a time when hydraulics were just beginning to wane. Plans also to add some paired 37s on fly-ash trains for M5 construction traffic too.

Neil

Edited by Downendian

• RMweb Premium

They look rather good. Just a pity there's not a plain green one yet ; it seems Bachmann often go for one-offs (also with the green, crestless 47) rather than the bog-standards which I prefer.

Re: The green one with the BR Arrows.  This was discussed on this board elsewhere a little while ago.  I seem to recall the discussion being that early 31s in the WR had this liverly for a while.

I'm not thrilled with the white painted tyres.  I like my locos to look ex-works, yes, but not "bulled-up!"

Matt

To me those white tyres look awfully like reflection off the rim of unpainted wheels. The blue one has black painted wheels, but looking at the darker wheel parts, the green ones look lighter, indicating they haven't been painted black. On the laptop it looks like unpainted metal, but on lower resolution screens such as the iPad, phone etc it does look a bit more solid white.

The models look rather nice, looking forward to a few without the boiler and buffer beam skirts in future!

jo

Edited by ewsjo

• RMweb Gold

Well this is all the information I needed

http://locodriver.co.uk/Railway_Encyclopedia/Part179/Part04/img31.gif

Class 31 at St Ivel Bason bridge creamery in the GFYE with BR arrow livery.

Farish 31 in this livery duly preordered.

Neil

Edited by Downendian
  • Like 2

The green 31s around the Lea Valley Line and Temple Mills circa 69/70 all seemed to have the arrow emblems, both disc and headcode fitted examples.

If you spotted a 31 with a grey roof head-on (all had full yellow ends at this time), we often used to discuss if it will be one of the few remaining with a lion logo.

But only the 31s & 15s, never the Green 37s or 47s had the arrows.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Review samples of the Farish class 31's have arrived - so the main batch is presumably en voyage. I've got a green and blue one to check over and review for Rail Express Modeller and they've tooled for different body shells.

G.

• Like 3

Can you confirm for me Grahame if the blue 31 has end doors or if they've been plated over? I can't be 100pc sure from the picture on the website. I'll be getting a green FYE one for sure, just wondering if I could backdate a blue one with preTOPS numbers or not.

Cheers.

Edited by Benn

Yes - blue has plated/sealed doors.

Well, today is the day for 2015/16 announcements. There's been relatively little frothing around the internet so perhaps expect little by way of all new announcements (like last year) and a continuation of the consolidation and catch-up effort. All the manufacturers could do with it.

G.

Hi Grahame

After last year's big hype about the "three newly tooled items" turning out to be a three coach Birdcage set which no doubt pleased some but I would say underwhelmed many more, I am not holding my breath. As others have said, there is still a backlog of existing models to "chew" through, i.e. the 64xx, "Castle" which haven't even got to EP stage last we were told.

As I sit here now, if the rumour of three items again this year (mentioned on N Gauge Forum) is correct I would speculate maybe either some Thompson coaches to go with the to be produced NGS "Full Brake" or a "Crab" (I keep saying that and if I wish hard enough maybe it will come true!) and Class 40 (Both former Farish models, both in the 00 range and neither old Farish models been in the N range for a while now).

Based  on last yea rI am working on the premise it's not going to be that exciting so not worth sitting by my computer waiting!!

Certainly I would say the exciting times of multiple loco releases is well and truly over...

Roy

Edited by Roy L S

I'm sitting here at my lap top at 10.23 and i have to say, i'm truly excited as to what Bachmann / Farish have in store for us.

Although i'm currently modelling WR 1965-1973, unless they announce a blue/grey Pullmann i dont think there will be anything of use, but........ whatever they announce it will have an impact of improving the hobby in both OO and N gauges for us all.

Personally speaking I'd say that it's not more announcements and promises that'll have the biggest impact, but the delivery and fulfilment of them (and particularly some of the older ones). And I don't think we'll see much of that today. But fingers crossed nonetheless.

G.

Hi Dave

I am not wishing to imply I am in any way disappointed with what Farish have released. I am more than happy with the quality of their most recent N items, they continue to "lift the bar" with locos like the 4F and Duchess even in the absence of any strong competition currently (and that will I am confident change when we see your N models arrive).

I agree with your bigger picture perspective, whatever they announce will be another new product to add to the portfolio and exciting for some I am sure, but personally I have less expectation that we will see a lot of new announcements or anything specifically appealing to me. That said, I do already have a further two 4Fs to come and the 31 is looking attractive, AND the A2 (maybe) at last in mid-July, so we are now light years away from the bad old days when some were speculating British N's demise - it is now a thoroughly credible scale.

Regards

Roy

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

It looks lovely and I probably will invest in a blue example in due course.

I'm really waiting for the refurbished bodyshell version without the bodyside ribbing and bufferbeam skirting - that will pave the way for the post 1985 liveries such as Railfreight, Regional Railways and Dutch...