Some pics, Class 31

gelboy45

I'm least impressed and very upset with this paint job. I've seen better from Farish, Dapol and Arnold. I am just hoping this isn't a praduction sample and rather something hastily put together just for BRM.

I'm not to impressed with the moulded handrail, whilst I don't mind it, it doesn't stand out too well.

post-21774-0-69343200-1426502104_thumb.jpg

Edited by AJA Models

That fuzzy masking does look quite disappointing, given the price has crept over £100! Any idea if this is a one off bad model, or common to all in that livery?

I'm less concerned with the moulded handrails though, as we saw with the 25, and frankly many other diesels recently, factory fitted wire handrails are far from always being preferable. I think they've become a "just because" feature to be ticked off as a positive feature, even when they aren't the best solution for the particular model. I'd much rather a neat and in proportion moulded handrail than an overscale shiny thing with very wide radius rounded corners like Dapol seem to fit, or sticking out a scale mile like the Farish 25. Kato seem to use moulded handrails on N scale European diesels as standard without widespread criticism (e.g. NOHAB and class 66).

P4261815.JPG

It is a shame that they've only released the early configuration bodyshell. I presume the logic was that the old (and not too bad) model was the 1985+ version, and of course that the (yawn) transition steam\diesel era tends to be a bigger immediate seller. I was planning on buying a blue one, but I might wait to see if any reductions appear after a few months ...

Why the "yawn"?

Surely that it is sufficiently popular to justify tooling to appear in the more lucrative earlier liveries first is good news as it means a better chance of it appearing in more recent (if less widely popular) ones at least at some point, rather than not at all?

Regards

Roy

Just a light hearted entirely subjective personal opinion that I find transition era liveries boring!

But yes, to judge from the 37/0 having been released initially, later followed by the refurbished variants of the 37, the 47/0 now being followed by the 47/7 etc., I take it as a good sign that the refurbished 31 will follow along eventually. However as has been commented in other threads, Bachmann seem to have taken their foot off the peddle in N recently, so I won't be holding my breath for a few years yet!

Ah, I see!

I think the 31 will come in later variants personally, but I do agree that not only has the foot come off the pedal, but actually brakes are being applied as far as future N products are concerned, so no time soon.

We had it good for a number of years but with rising prices and nobody in the Market to push Bachmann at the moment (Dapol are certainly not looking equipped to do so any more) they arguably have little competition and a market they largely control now as far as volume is concerned. It is true we have seen massive improvements in the last 10 years but with the lastest coreless motor steam models I think things have (for now) reached a plateau.

I think N has huge potential in smaller homes and to grow further. The great thing is that with the improvements we have seen it is a real alternative to 00 and no longer any kind of "poor relation". I am hoping the appearance of DJM's first models will provide a fresh impetus and that Hornby also threatening to enter the fray will shake Bachmann out of this (what I perceive as) complacency, but we will see..

Regards

Roy

• RMweb Gold

I'm least impressed and very upset with this paint job. I've seen better from Farish, Dapol and Arnold. I am just hoping this isn't a praduction sample and rather something hastily put together just for BRM

Thats not the sharpest application in the world admittedly, but if you blow up a photo of an N Gauge model to O Gauge size you are bound to be able to see every little discrepancy in the paint job, especially on a front end with that many bumps, grooves & lines!

Post it at actual size and it won't look anywhere near as bad.

Tom.  

• RMweb Premium

Have to admit I'm not sure about the shape of the cab windows. Its looks a bit "sad", for want of better words.

N is good, but I'm cautious because the of old issue of the gears on wheelsets cracking. Its a ghost that keeps on haunting N gauge locos.

It's subtle, but looking at the real thing there's some kind of angle there. Whether it's an illusion from the rain strip, or if the windows do droop slightly, there's definitely something there to my eyes.

Here's a shot from my site

IMG_4797-31285-31602-1Z12-XL.jpg

As for moulded detail, I'm agreement with Justin about neatly moulded being better than chunky separate detail. C'mon, the Farish early style 66 even has the bolts holding the handrails on moulded on! And some of the etched roof grills we've seen have left plenty to be desired. Etches and wire have their place, but I'd prefer the right size and shape over being separate. Also, the lighting in that photo has removed most of the shadows, a more natural outdoor light and the relief would be a lot more noticeable

jo

Edited by ewsjo
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

It is a shame that they've only released the early configuration bodyshell. I presume the logic was that the old (and not too bad) model was the 1985+ version,

Wrong - it's entirely correct that they've released it in blue with an unrefurbished bodyshell, plated end doors, dominoes and no boiler, the logic being that I want one. Possibly two if my earlier musing about conversion to 31/4 is correct.

I reckon they've got the face just about spot on and - good grief - have they even managed to mould the windscreen grommets on the body?. It certainly doesn't suffer the EE squint.

I agree about the masking of the yellow panel, however, that is pretty rough.

BTW Jo, I think the fan grille on this one is etched.

Wrong - it's entirely correct that they've released it in blue with an unrefurbished bodyshell, plated end doors, dominoes and no boiler, the logic being that I want one. Possibly two if my earlier musing about conversion to 31/4 is correct.

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I wasn't suggesting blue on unrefurbished body was incorrect at all, far from it, as you say it's totally correct. I just meant that it is a shame that they chose to do the early variant (first?) as I find the post refurbishment liveries suit the 31 much better, and make it look much more charismatic. Just my opinion though!

The "face" certainly captures the look better than the old version, I think primarily because the rubber grommits around the window are quite prominent on the 31. The old version also seemed to suffer particularly from prismatic looking glazing, which seems to detract from the "face".

That said, it would be great to see a side by side comparison, if anyone has both new and old?

I'm half tempted to try and pick up a cheap Chinese Bach-Far example and do a "full works" detailing job and repaint in either Dutch or Triple Grey. I believe the basic dimensions were all good on the old model, and the only obvious flaws were the missing panel lines and poor fit of the cab insert - both possible to sort out.

Just to note, I wasn't criticising the moulded detail, it was just an observation as clearly there is a bit of cost saving in this model though as noted it's either an overscale add on or something moulded, in N there is no inbetween.

I need at least one of these ingood old rail blue.

• RMweb Premium

Sorry if it wasn't clear, but I wasn't suggesting blue on unrefurbished body was incorrect at all, far from it, as you say it's totally correct.

Nor did I think you were; and nor was I commenting on the accuracy of the model, but rather commending the decision to release the particular configuration that precisely satisfies my wishes. Well done, Bachmann :)

I'm least impressed and very upset with this paint job. I've seen better from Farish, Dapol and Arnold. I am just hoping this isn't a praduction sample and rather something hastily put together just for BRM.

I'm not to impressed with the moulded handrail, whilst I don't mind it, it doesn't stand out too well.

Pictures of the model now on the Rails of Sheffield website: https://railsofsheffield.com/class-31-d5596-br-green-small-yellow-panel-directional-lighting-free-uk-post-371-111-JJJA20539.aspx

And on the Kernow Facebook page (click on picture on their home page for a bigger version): https://www.facebook.com/207521425956079/photos/pcb.887943927913822/887943621247186/?type=1&theater

Edited by BR(S)

Before I purchase one I need to know whether it is fitted with a Mirrlees or English Electric power plant.

You'll be able to tell that when you try before you buy in the shop, if it doesn't run properly it's still got a Mirrlees power unit in, if it does, it's been converted to EE.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm answering my own post here! Yes Dapol couplings do fit; be prepared for the loco's NEM pockets and the odd sandbox to drop off during the process though! It seems the Class 20 is the only loco with 'rogue' pockets that are too loose for the Dapol couplings.

I'm answering my own post here! Yes Dapol couplings do fit; be prepared for the loco's NEM pockets and the odd sandbox to drop off during the process though! It seems the Class 20 is the only loco with 'rogue' pockets that are too loose for the Dapol couplings.

Interesting.  I fitted Dapol couplings to my green Class 20 without any problems.  Usually the problem is that Farish NEM pockets are too tight (Mk1 coaches, I'm looking at you), but these can be opened slightly.

The Class 31 was on my wish list and then I decided I didn't really need it as wasn't going to bother.  However, seeing photos online and in the magazines the new model looks so good I might have to buy one after all.

[edit]

The Class 31 was on my wish list and then I decided I didn't really need it as wasn't going to bother.  However, seeing photos online and in the magazines the new model looks so good I might have to buy one after all.

That's kind of funny.  I actually had two pre-ordered at £87 with Hattons and then when I saw all the pictures, I cancelled them - even with the US dollar very strong against the British pound right now.  They just didn't look like a significant enough improvement over the 1996 Poole version (and the subsequent Bachmann re-runs) to justify the considerable expense. 

The older version isn't perfect but my impression of photos of the new one is that the proportions of the left and right "face" glazing panels seem off (too tall and/or narrow) and the vertical banding and rivets on the bodysides look considerably overscale.  The bogies don't seem seem to have much relief, either.  Perhaps they just don't photograph well and everything is actually spot on but at £100 apiece this is a model I'm happy to let others enjoy!  If I stumble across a cheap used one in a few years time I might have a go, but not now.

Matt

Edited by oreamnos

• RMweb Gold

Hello Matt,

It is of course your choice, but I'd be wary of making judgements from photographs.

Also, I would argue that this model is a significant improvement on the old in terms of not just detail but also features - NEM couplers, DCC chip, correctly sized A1A-A1A wheelsets etc.

I think the only reason the improvement gap is arguably less for this model than for say the 08, 20, 37 or 55 is because those models were sooooo bad!

cheers

Ben A.

• RMweb Premium

Even though I had one on order with Hattons I was unsure whether to get it, especially when the price rose (although Hattons kept to the pre-order price) and having had issues with the previous versions I bought. I am glad I did though. The improvements are substantial, but subtle in some areas. The new chassis, correct cab handrails, better fuel tank, more detail on the bogies, correct size wheels with the proper A1A configuration. The only area where I feel it is worse is the fan. The etched version isn't nearly as good as that on the old one, far too coarse and hiding what may be underneath - I can't see any detail below it at all.

Izzy