• RMweb Premium

for our show this year were having a special diorama challenge, i decided to enter with one of the compeigne armistice memorials in 7mm, this is the current condition apart from ive now built up the cardboard over the ply, my next concern is somehow making styrene look like granite

diorama (4) by Sam, on Flickr

https://www.oisetourisme.com/pcupic1600000072/memorial-de-la-clairiere-de-larmistice/compiegne

attachicon.gifPCU---Memorial-de-la-Clairiere-de-l-Armistice---Compiegne---Oise-Tourisme--3-.jpg

Odd timing, Yesterday I was just reading (Berlin Diary by William Shirer) about the "second signing" on June 21, 1940. The original car was moved to Berlin and later destroyed in an Allied bombing raid. Anyway, nice representation of the current memorial; the Germans destroyed some of the originals.

• Like 1

the boiler was cladded and then then holes cut in the top to fill with lead, this was glued to the underside of the saddle, another load test was done which was more succesful but then i realised that actually most of the traction problems were not the locos weight but the resistance caused by buffer compression on the wagons and them being pushed against the outside rail as the loco can do fine pulling the wagons through the curve

45038998314_f9f141a513_k.jpgnautilus (59) by Sam, on Flickr

The safety valve housing had the top cut off and rounded off, i gave up on the water filler lid knob and glued in the head of a panel pin

45764040381_05da4f3d93_k.jpgnautilus (57) by Sam, on Flickr

after having a second hand pillar drill jig for many months i couldnt use it, yes my mains drill does fit in it (just) i had the problem of needing 3 hands, ffirst to hold what im drilling, second to use the vertical control lever and third to hold the drill trigger but a few days ago i had the idea to power it through a sewing machine foot pedal, a family member has some spare so gave me one, the drill itself hasnt been changed or tampered with at all except for having the trigger tied down, i changed the 3-pin plug on the pedal for a mains plug socket which the drill plugs into and then the pedal plug into the mains, with the drill vertically i have a pillar drill or if i turn it, i have a lathe

43946361960_be5cd365f2_k.jpgpillar/lathe hand drill by Sam, on Flickr

The first thing i did with my new lathe was turn the chimney cap for Nautilus out of styrene

45039001464_d383f1aca0_k.jpgnautilus (60) by Sam, on Flickr

for our show this year were having a special diorama challenge, i decided to enter with one of the compeigne armistice memorials in 7mm, this is the current condition apart from ive now built up the cardboard over the ply, my next concern is somehow making styrene look like granite

45764042491_04d1a5023b_k.jpgdiorama (4) by Sam, on Flickr

https://www.oisetourisme.com/pcupic1600000072/memorial-de-la-clairiere-de-larmistice/compiegne

attachicon.gifPCU---Memorial-de-la-Clairiere-de-l-Armistice---Compiegne---Oise-Tourisme--3-.jpg

Excellent and Orginal idea, looking forward to seeing it next week at the exhibition!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

i had some ideas for a diorama but instead thought that it would be a waste to not do something about this centenary year

Please post a few photos of the finished display at the show; a trip to the UK to see it is beyond my means! :biggrin_mini:

Firstly a pic of the finished diorama at the show

post-9948-0-57276000-1545416192_thumb.jpg

my Hestia and NB brake, custom painted 50's by Chris Burnage, ohio river and western On30 by ray Clasper and caledonian 4-4-0 by Mark (shez)

post-9948-0-46491000-1545416230_thumb.jpg

a lovely scratchbuilt wantage England on Webb's wharf at the show

post-9948-0-36334700-1545416270_thumb.jpg

here the haul for this year. what i bought were the coal scale kit, hand wheels, safety valves,hook springs and the Austin seven, my dad got me the Atlas switcher as a christmas present which i will use the chassis for something, but finally the gem of the weekend, the box of bits (right) and 5 half built wagons (top) very kindly given to me by Airnimal, the box has 9 sets of axleboxe, 5 sets of bufferstocks, a cast chimney, cast backhead, loco lifting jack, slaters hornblock etch, a pair of beyer peacock workplates, 4 water tank lids, 2 smokebox handles and a signal arm

Flickr

post-9948-0-64917700-1545416137_thumb.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Maybe best to sell the Atlas switcher & do something else? I did convert one into a 0-4-0 'Planet' type but you're unlikely to get the quality of running with it you do from your own locos!

Dava

Maybe best to sell the Atlas switcher & do something else? I did convert one into a 0-4-0 'Planet' type but you're unlikely to get the quality of running with it you do from your own locos!

Dava

ive done a test run, it runs good enough and it'll be better if i add pick ups to the middle wheel, and yes ive noticed that the chassis is live to one side

backhead detailing with the firehole doors, regulator and steam manifold on top. The brake column also being made which reminded me to cut a hole in the back sheet, the bottom of the chimney is being formed with milliput

post-9948-0-03647000-1545415970_thumb.jpgSam, on Flickr

After the miiliput is dry, it was carved and sanded to shape, i'm going to let some layers of paint build up over it before sanding it again to give a smooth finish, the smokebox and firebox have both had a coat of matt black, the front sand pots are glued down with 1 coat of paint while the rest has 2 coats. Since taking the photos i have realised that the wrong blue was used (XF-50 field blue instead of the XF-18 flat blue) but it doesnt matter as i was going to a 3rd coat after some light sanding anyway so i'll use the right one then. the brake column was topped off with a whitemetal handle and the backsheet has a curved housing to accommodate it

post-9948-0-86848100-1545415947_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-65783800-1545415930_thumb.jpg

post-9948-0-78090500-1545415907_thumb.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 6

correct coat of blue on this time and the boiler/tank assembly has been glued to the footplate and cab. The firebox has had 2 coats of black and the steam manifold painted for brass, then the copper wire superglued on for pipework, the 2 from the middle of the manifold go to the injectors on either side of the boiler while the 3rd goes down the left hand side and into the smokebox, this one is being made up as one single length with a hole drilled int he cab front, the injector pipes also go through holes but just as far as the injectors, i had to remove the brake column to drill the right hand hole. once the water gauge is assembled and glued on then the backhead can also be glued in

post-9948-0-24863700-1545415851_thumb.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 7

im thinking of doing Kerr Stuart 4421 with the Atlas, the one that worked at Murthwaite crushing plant near Ravenglass and is now at Foxfield, i know theres a drawing in the modeller in 1979 i just need to check it next time i go to the club to see if the wheel diameter and wheelbase are close enough

https://goo.gl/images/zwjwQD

• RMweb Premium

Having been an R & E R P S member since the 60's I amassed quite a few Ratty books.   I'll try and have a look to see what info I can dig out for you Sam.  It worked from Ravenglass to Murthwaite via the standard gauge line.

Jamie

A bit late to suggest it, perhaps, but if the footplate is about 3mm thick, you might have been able to get a little more weight by using a sheet of steel. The only issue then perhaps being how're cut it to size.

In my youth I used this method when motorising an Airfix J94. The answer to your question will be familiar to anyone who undertook an old school engineering apprenticeship. Having scribed out carefully, cut slightly oversize and file back to the line. The centre space was chain drilled out. Altogether it took a full week of lunchtimes in the school's workshop. Interestingly this is how Minerva have ballasted the new Manning Wardle.

apart from the drawing and some photos online, all i need is some idea of what inside the cab looks like. Once i start on the build, i'll start a thread to ask if anybody has taken photos in it at foxfield. if the wheelbase is out then i'll scrap the idea and choose something else to do with the chassis

• RMweb Premium

apart from the drawing and some photos online, all i need is some idea of what inside the cab looks like. Once i start on the build, i'll start a thread to ask if anybody has taken photos in it at foxfield. if the wheelbase is out then i'll scrap the idea and choose something else to do with the chassis

I've had a look through my ratty books this morning and none of them have drawings in them.   There are however a couple of photos of it in ratty service and notes about the livery. If you want them I can scan them and send you copies.   I have a vague memory that there was at least one article about it in the Society magazine but how long ago I've no idea.   I'll see what I can find.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

I have a scan of the Railway Modeller article on the Kerr Stuart sir douglas if you want a copy.

Giles Barnabe also built a model of it around an Atlas chassis for his Stratford Waterside layout many years ago. Again, I have a copy of that article with his drawing showing the work required. 

Let me know if they are of any use to you. 

Edited by NeilHB

I did once build a chassis using 1" Aluminium U-channel and a drill press. I was able to also drill holes in such a way to hole the motor and gears into position so negated the need for a separate gearbox. No picture though, and I recall considerable work filing the chassis bottom end to shape. It would have probably been easier to use brass strips and spacers in the traditional method.

Tower Models did something similar with their Andrew Barclay beginners kit as I recall.

Made up the coal bunker out of nickel, some paint was scraped off above the fire hole to put a flask shelf on but i changed my mind because will nevr be seen once the crew, back and roof are on, so i'm only going to put in the minimum detail.

post-9948-0-36882000-1545413083_thumb.jpg

2 coats of black on the bunker and a coat of cream in the cab though i'm wondering if an off-white or pale grey would look better

post-9948-0-33230900-1545413058_thumb.jpg

On the Atlas, since i cant find anything for it to fit so instead ive thought that if i move the front wheel back and cut off the front of the cast block i can do something like a Sentinel, Thomas Hill or Simplex

post-9948-0-66474200-1545413110_thumb.jpg

the first idea that comes to mind is Thomas Hill "Elizabeth" that worked at Wakefield powerstation, that was at Middleton for many years but now at Elseacar

https://www.heritagerailway.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/sites/22/2018/01/HR-Archive-219f.jpg

HR-Archive-219f.jpg

Edited by sir douglas
  • Like 5