Couplings

johnarcher

Another question if I may.

I am returning to modelling after many years, and haven't wholly decided what I will do. The 00n3 as in my other question is one possibility, but I am also considering 3mm standard gauge (FS 14.2mm).

I am however put off by the appearance of most couplings used, it's a matter of one's own priorities, I am mostly interested in appearance and have very little interest in operation/shunting etc., so I wonder if there is something more discreet or prototypical than B&B, DG etc. It can be manual, fiddly etc, as I said that is not important. It seems to be accepted that 3-link is out of the question in this scale?

I have seen that Worsley do 3mm scale coupling hooks, on the basis that they wouldn't need to be done and undone much I wonder whether actual 3-link couplings are possible in this scale.

Has anyone tried it?

• 5 weeks later...

Like yourself I dabble in 14.2mm and have had similar thoughts-my main thrust of modelling is 18.2mm EM gauge, in which I have used both three links and Sprat and Winkle, under exhibition conditions. Can only say that if you use a magnetic coupling hook (available from suppliers such as Lanarkshire Modelling Supplies) it would make life much easier    

Like yourself I dabble in 14.2mm and have had similar thoughts-my main thrust of modelling is 18.2mm EM gauge, in which I have used both three links and Sprat and Winkle, under exhibition conditions. Can only say that if you use a magnetic coupling hook (available from suppliers such as Lanarkshire Modelling Supplies) it would make life much easier    

Thanks for the supplier info., it probably would help. I am still deciding, I will probably get some hooks from Worsley and try it. If it's not possible any SG would have to be back to EM and 3-links.

Alex Jackson's. Neat and unobtrusive. You can make your prototypical links out of iron wire and use them as the droppers, and in my book anything you can make yourself out of a bit of bent wire has to beat an expensive trade item.

I have seen 3-links used in 2mm so no reason why they could not be used in 3mm.

Alex Jackson's. Neat and unobtrusive. You can make your prototypical links out of iron wire and use them as the droppers, and in my book anything you can make yourself out of a bit of bent wire has to beat an expensive trade item.

I have seen 3-links used in 2mm so no reason why they could not be used in 3mm.

Thank you. Certainly AJ's look better than most, but I am encouraged by your comment about 2mm 3-links (someone has good eyesight). I've also just seen a link on the 'Why tension-lock couplings' thread to a German design of magnetically worked screw couplings that looks interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

some people have definitely used 3-links in 3mm as some second hand wagons I bought had them.

Thanks that's encouraging. I believe Worsley make hooks, one can make links easily enough. Does anyone know of any other source?

Archived