Majestic trams

Good afternoon,

A question from Rotterdam, Holland.

Fourty years ago I was made a Sheffield trammodel from a Tramalan kit.

Today Majestic is providing the kits.

On internet I didn't see pictures of for instance the new models. They only show pictures of Tramalan-trams!

I like to buy the kits of the Liverpool streamliners but I doubt about the quality?

What are the experiencies about the new producer?

Greetings,

Ronald van der Meer

vandermeer-55d@hotmail.com

As far as I'm aware, the new owner (Charles) has not made any modifications so the photos of Tramalan era models should be representative of the current production (I gather the choices of what has been re-released so far is in part due to which moulds were in a fit state for further production!)

It it early days yet so he hasn't really had the oportunity to establish a reputation, but i've not heard any bad reports. Most sales I suspect are through the TLRS shop.

Just realised it couldn't have been 40 years ago unless it was an Anbrico Sheffield Roberts. Alan Williams ( Tramalan) didn't buy his Centricast machine until 1984 and the Sheffield cars were a few years later after he'd moved to Birmingham. Indeed Centrcast machines using room temperature Vulcanisning rubber moulds weren't available 40 years ago!  

Just realised it couldn't have been 40 years ago unless it was an Anbrico Sheffield Roberts. Alan Williams ( Tramalan) didn't buy his Centricast machine until 1984 and the Sheffield cars were a few years later after he'd moved to Birmingham. Indeed Centrcast machines using room temperature Vulcanisning rubber moulds weren't available 40 years ago!  

Probably it was'nt a Tramalan kit I was buying in august 1975 for 75 Dutch guilders in Den Haag? I only have a picture of the package. Building the kit was not succesfull for the provided glue did not worked properly. Long agoo!

Not sure if Majestic is back up to speed with supply yet, there were issues down to several domestic problems, last I heard they were back in production but working through a backlog, so perhaps an email before order to clarify?

There are other Sheffield trams available from KW Trams  http://www.kwtrams.co.uk/product-category/oo-gauge-kits

Castings are perhaps a bit more basic but the price reflects this.

They can build up into attractive models as seen by this Leeds open topper built and finished by purpledoor and seen on my layout 

post-7067-0-51777700-1413806812_thumb.jpg

Probably it was'nt a Tramalan kit I was buying in august 1975 for 75 Dutch guilders in Den Haag? I only have a picture of the package. Building the kit was not succesfull for the provided glue did not worked properly. Long agoo!

In that case It must have been an Anbrico Roberts car ( streamlined all enclosed double decker) This car is now available from ABS Models ( Adrian Swain) in a very revised and updated form and with a much better Mechanism kit, but beware of the Hung Ling el cheapo motor Adrian has been supplying if you get one of those replace it with a Proper Mabuchi from, Halling or Bec or East Lancs Model Tramway Supplies.  

Alan,

Perhaps you could publish the comparison performance data for at least those two types of motor in that car.

E.g. stall speed, lowest slow running speed, top speed.

"El cheapo" vs. "Proper" isn't exactly credible guidance for someone trying to acquire or upgrade/fix a model.

A  third basic type of motor to consider and test would be a common inexpensive one with a skew wound armature, 5 poles or more, and a rare earth magnet, all of which considerably improve slow running and starting, compared to the bare bones, 3 pole types.

Given the price of the recent Blackpool Flexity in 00 is UKP 175, saving pennies by buying absolutely basic motors is a hardly a good idea.

Alan,

Perhaps you could publish the comparison performance data for at least those two types of motor in that car.

E.g. stall speed, lowest slow running speed, top speed.

And the relevance to this thread is???

No Andy because the Hung Ling Motor has brushes made ONLY of a bent "brass" strip nothing else. It is therefore too trashy to even test!   

So apparently do many the world's highly reliable pager/mobile-phone vibrator motors, based on the number that I've disassembled to look at, although I think you'll find the brushes are more likely to be phosphor bronze or beryllium copper strip, both of which are suitably "springy".

So unless someone has actually compared the performance and operating life of both, it's not really appropriate to publish unsubstantiated conclusions.

Andy

And the relevance to this thread is???

The OP asked for quality facts about one our very few UK model tram providers, and got an unsolicited, apparently unverified, but significant negative comment about another, by I understand, an actual official of the T&LRS.

Not sure how that could be more relevant.

It has been discussed elsewhere and the new Mabuchi motors have been proven to be better than the older ones both in published information and by the most important bit....real time trials with real model trams.....

I seriously can't be arsed to go through it all again, if Alan wishes to that's his prerogative, but I'll back him up on what he says.....the newer Mabuchi motors are much better, again Brian Robinson of BEC trucks also found this to be the case too, to the point where the old 'el cheapo' ones in his stock are offered at a ridiculous give away price....wonder why?

So a simple warning about older stock 3 pole motors turns into a bit of slagging fest..... complete with an attack on a leading European tram manufacturer whilst moaning about one on a cast metal kit producer, not needed and not really any help to the OP.....

As a TLRS officer I have a DUTY to my members to issue appropriate warnings. I was horrified when I saw the motors Adrian was using as a stop gap because as he said he could not obviously afford a bulk stock from Mabuchi, he thought it was all he could get at the time, we do talk to each other you know. It also sounded so horrible that further trials were useless and complaints had already come in of very poor performance. Now at the time it was a serious problem as Mabuchi were wanting orders in multiples of 1000 and preferably  a lot more as a minimum. Fortunately subsequently we have been able to draw supplies in lower numbers from Halling as "spares" from their bulk purchases. The details of just how good it is have already been posted both here and elsewhere as Mark ( Red Devil) says. The latest version has with PC gears from the old O gauge 4w mechs been used to power G scale models by some of out Mancunian modelers one motor per axle, to the utter amazement of many of us!  I do find it strange having to defend advice on UK product to a US resident who hasn't even seen the item!!!!!!!!       

All, please desist now petty spats about motors which are in no way relevant to the OP's original question.

Any further posts on the theme will be removed.

Paul

Tramways forum moderator.

All, please desist now petty spats about motors which are in no way relevant to the OP's original question.

Any further posts on the theme will be removed.

Paul

Tramways forum moderator.

No Problem Paul! I shall no longer comment on here as it seems to bring out opposition from some people. So Good bye all. .

• 1 year later...

Archived