Class 07 Diesel

rembrow

On 11/11/2019 at 12:07, class37418stag said:

Hello please excuse my English 

BR class 07 has hot axlebox running and been replaced new axle without hot at BR engineering works ?

BR class 07 has short lived over too hot of axlebox

Adding to Mike's answer, to be fair to the 07s, they weren't the only ones to suffer hot boxes on longer trips. Their predecessors at Southampton Docks were the USA Dock Tanks (as produced in model form for Model Rail Magazine), and these also suffered hot boxes when taken on extended trips, either going to Eastleigh or on transfers to other sheds, as happened to a few later in their lives. With either type, when shunting in their 'home' territory around the dock lines, there was no problem as it was all short distance, low speed work.

• RMweb Premium
10 hours ago, class37418stag said:

Hello 

before higher speed running has caused axlebox get hotter

and sent BR workshop for repair axlebox and lower speed and normal warm axlebox with no cause that ?

am I right ?

Yes.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 02/11/2020 at 19:04, class37418stag said:

Anyone know knights work (former BREL works) Eastleigh has class 07007 as Shunter 

any faults from 2008 to now from class 07007

i know axlebox get hotter

than you 

07007 is Eastleigh works pet shunter, though it was neglected for a period.

(not mine/flickr image)

BR Class 07 D2991 (07007) - Eastleigh Works

Its a bit of a house cat, went to Swanage Railway gala once, otherwise thats all I can think of in nearly 50 years.

http://www.carlswatson.com/Trains/Galleries 2020/G202001/20200115ArlingtonEastleighWorks/eastleighworks15thjanuary2020.html

Hot Axles boxes is part of the design specification for a class 07... design flaw.

Edited by adb968008

• 10 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Looking at the Kernow website for something else earlier today it looks as if Heljan may be about to do a new run of 07s - has there been an official announcement to that effect?

Yes, there was an announcement on RMWeb last Friday.

https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/news/Heljan-announces-new-runs-of-class-07-14-and-17-diesels-plus-the-waggo

Doesn't seem to have generated much comment though.

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Looking at the Kernow website for something else earlier today it looks as if Heljan may be about to do a new run of 07s - has there been an official announcement to that effect?

KMRC also have a latest news section that covered the announcement here https://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/n/106/Heljan-announce-new-production-runs-of-four-OO-gauge-models-that-are-currently-in-preparation-for-2022-release-–-the-Waggon-and-Maschinenbau-diesel-railbus-Class-07-Class-14-and-Class-17

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, ColinK said:

I’ve two Heljan  07s from the initial production.  Both are really bad runners and sit parked on a shelf.  Very disappointing.

I just have one - also a shelf queen..

11 hours ago, ColinK said:

I’ve two Heljan  07s from the initial production.  Both are really bad runners and sit parked on a shelf.  Very disappointing.

Are they bad runners due to pickup problems?

I ended up soldering some extra phosphor-bronze strips to the existing soft pickups to allow them to stay in contact with the wheel-backs even at the full extremes of lateral travel. Having such a short, rigid wheelbase means that every pickup must work to maintain continuity.

• Informative/Useful 2

I have several Heljan locos and they are all excellent runners. The only problem I have ever had was a dud PCB component in a Hymek and they sent me a replacement PCB board free of charge.

The 07 is a Rule 1 loco for me, but I hope it sees light of day - despite the comments above it got good reviews when first released.

• RMweb Gold

I have a Heljan 07 and it runs very well, but the couplings are rubbish and don't work freely. 

I have several Heljan diesels and all run perfectly. My Heljan class 33 are the best running locos I have. Silky smooth and powerful.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, ColinK said:

Just like the real thing then, they just needto get warm with use then they’ll be wholly accurate.

Edited by adb968008

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Jenny Emily said:

None with sound. If you want to fit sound, the speaker would need to go in the cab; there is room. I use the space on three for a DCCconcepts stay alive and it fits just fine below the window line. 

My sound installation was done "professionally" and has no stay alive -nightmare frankly...

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, SRman said:

Are they bad runners due to pickup problems?

I ended up soldering some extra phosphor-bronze strips to the existing soft pickups to allow them to stay in contact with the wheel-backs even at the full extremes of lateral travel. Having such a short, rigid wheelbase means that every pickup must work to maintain continuity.

I don’t think so, adjusted the pickups but that didn’t solve the problem. My 05 is a shelf queen too. I only seem to have this problem with Heljan shunters, I’ve several of their BoBo’s which all run really well. Hence instead of ordering an 02, I’ve finally got round to finishing one from a Craftsman? kit I started building about 40 years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 08/11/2022 at 20:10, Jenny Emily said:

None with sound. If you want to fit sound, the speaker would need to go in the cab; there is room. I use the space on three for a DCCconcepts stay alive and it fits just fine below the window line. 

I have fitted two with sound. Zimo MX649 decoder, with Class 07 sound project, from Digitrains. The speaker, a 7x11x15mm, from Youchoos, goes in the small compartment/bonnet behind the cab. A Lais Kung Fu Stay Alive goes in the cab itself, on the floor, and out of sight.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1