Class 07 Diesel

rembrow

The lights should turn off and on with F0.

As this is a shunter, I also tweaked the settings on mine so that the front and rear lights are all on at the same time, showing one red and one white light at each end (still using F0 to turn the lot on or off).

• RMweb Gold

As this is a shunter, I also tweaked the settings on mine so that the front and rear lights are all on at the same time, showing one red and one white light at each end (still using F0 to turn the lot on or off).

Would you be able to share the changes you made to achieve this? I would be quite keen on doing it.

Andy

Would you be able to share the changes you made to achieve this? I would be quite keen on doing it.

Andy

I actually achieved this through JMRI Decoder Pro, so only had to tick the checkboxes to turn on the lights in both directions for F0. I don't know the CVs off-hand, but I don't think it is difficult - it will be in the decoder manual for whatever brand you have installed.

• RMweb Gold

I actually achieved this through JMRI Decoder Pro, so only had to tick the checkboxes to turn on the lights in both directions for F0. I don't know the CVs off-hand, but I don't think it is difficult - it will be in the decoder manual for whatever brand you have installed.

Thanks. I will look into it.

Thanks, the lights seem to just permeanently stay on regardless of pressing F0, and after trying it again today I have a feeling there must be a fault/short as it has fried my decoder

• RMweb Gold

Thanks, the lights seem to just permeanently stay on regardless of pressing F0, and after trying it again today I have a feeling there must be a fault/short as it has fried my decoder

Did you put the decoder in upside down?

Hi Andy, not according to the manufacturers instructions regarding pin 1 on the decoder and on the model itself, I also followed a youtube vid as the body is a pain to get off with all the pipes that need to be disconected. Its weird how it only started to hum as I pressed F0?

Hi Andy, not according to the manufacturers instructions regarding pin 1 on the decoder and on the model itself, I also followed a youtube vid as the body is a pain to get off with all the pipes that need to be disconected. Its weird how it only started to hum as I pressed F0?

Perhaps you have the Prius Hybrid version of the 07 and its sound fitted?  Lucky !

With an 8-pin decoder, it doesn't matter which way round you insert it, it won't short out or cause any problems, unless there is a problem with the locomotives wiring, which is what it sounds like here, as Steve has surmised. What does happen if the decoder is wrong-way-round is that the lights won't work at all, and the loco will run in the reverse direction to that which is expected.

Perhaps you have the Prius Hybrid version of the 07 and its sound fitted? Lucky ######!

Haha, its an unhealthy sound if it is.

With an 8-pin decoder, it doesn't matter which way round you insert it, it won't short out or cause any problems, unless there is a problem with the locomotives wiring, which is what it sounds like here, as Steve has surmised. What does happen if the decoder is wrong-way-round is that the lights won't work at all, and the loco will run in the reverse direction to that which is expected.

Thanks Srman, is that the same with a 6 pin as well then as it is a 6 pin decoder?

• Like 1

6-pin won't work at all if it is the wrong way round. It still should not cause any problems as far as shorting out or burning out the decoder - all of the NEM decoder standards are fail-safe, in that sense. The input wires from the track are the middle two pins on the 6-pin decoder.

• RMweb Gold

I already know that. But as we are talking 6 pin I didn’t know, hence my suggestion. I’m now educated on 6 pin as well.

I already know that. But as we are talking 6 pin I didn’t know, hence my suggestion. I’m now educated on 6 pin as well.

When I posted the earlier comment, I had forgotten that the 07 was 6- not 8-pin. However, I have now covered both. :)

When I posted the earlier comment, I had forgotten that the 07 was 6- not 8-pin. However, I have now covered both. :)

Thanks Srman for your help regarding this, I have contacted Hattons and they are going to send a replacement so hopefully I will not have the same problems.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have two 07's with the hattons 6 pin decoders which work fine on a prodigy system, however when i put them on my  main layout which is powered by an ECoS the locos have a mind of their own constantly running and then stopping then starting even though the speed is set to zero?

Am I missing something re voltage or compatibility?

Cheers

Nik

Edited by Deltic Man

Hi Guys

I have two 07's with the hattons 6 pin decoder which work fine on a prodigy system, however when i put them on my  main layout which is powered by a ECoS they locos have a mid of their own constantly running and then stopping then starting even though the speed is set to zero?

Any help one I could understand as a chip iss but both am I missing something re voltage or compatibility?

Cheers

Nik

My two Heljan 07's have ESU Lokpilot V4 Micro decoders and although only on the programme track (layout still under development) they do seam to behave well enough in conjunction with my ECoS.

I do not have any 6 pin Hatton's decoder though I do have some of the Hatton's 8 pin decoders which are hard wired into steam models (Hornby 8F, A4, West Country), these have not had any issues to date.

The ECoS  reads the 8 pin Hatton's decoders as manufactured by DDC Concepts, unsure if your 6 pin ones are from a different manufacturer or not.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
3 hours ago, dave56 said:

Brought myself an early Easter present a Class 07 in Harry Needle R.C livery as a bargain from Hattons. Arrived today the detail is very impressive.

Indeed it is and so is the running. Superb little models; they contribute in no small measure to restoring Heljan’s reputation.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/12/2018 at 20:47, The Ghost of IKB said:

I haven't used the Hatton 6 pin in an 07, but I did use one in an 05, and a djh j94,and both ran very poorly. (With an Nce powercab). I swapped them for gaugemaster 6 pins and both improved massively, the 05 is now the smoothest running loco I have.

That's quirky.  I had 2 gaugemasters fail to work an 05 when the Bachmann chip worked fine.  Turning the gaugemasters around caused then to go pop

• 6 months later...
6 hours ago, class37418stag said:

Hello please excuse my English 

BR class 07 has hot axlebox running and been replaced new axle without hot at BR engineering works ?

BR class 07 has short lived over too hot of axlebox

Hello. Your English is good!

Where are you from?

The 07 did suffer from hot axle boxes.

This meant reduced speed when making trips outside of Southampton docks where they were based.

And example of such long trips would be going to Eastleigh, if this did happen the loco would be reduced in speed even more.

For use in Southampton docks this was less of a problem.

It was not the hot axle box issue that brought about the life of the class, it was due to great reductions in Southampton docks rail network and loss of freight to container traffic. Freightliners for example.

Hope this helps?

• Agree 2