Ivatt 2 2-6-0

malcolmy

Hi chaps,

I ordered my son one of the new Ivatt 2 2-6-0 locos (46521) from Holt Model Railways before Xmas - hoping that it would arrive in time for Santa to deliver it.

Unfortunately it didn't, so I had to create a Credit Note for Santa to deliver to my son instead.

Is there any update on availability for these please? My son keeps nagging me for Santa to make good his Credit Note!

• RMweb Premium

I think we will be lucky to see them this year to be honest as there has been no pre-production or engineering samples displayed yet. Colin Albright said at TINGS last september that having produced the small BR tender to go behind the forthcoming STD 4MT, they were 'almost there' in terms of being able to fit the mechanism into the very small tender behind the Ivatt 2MT, so maybe If we see a prototype at the Model and Hobby show at the start of March, it might make it out this year, if not i guess we will just have to keep on waiting!

Best regards, Richard

You have to remembr that Farish have had the Ivatt 2-6-0 in their catolouge for over 4 years now, with very little news or progress since its announcement. The photo is just a photoshopped version of the Bachman OO version with N gauge couplings added. Its the same as their promised 9F!. Dapol did intend to do the 2-6-0 in conjunction with its little brother,the Ivatt 2-6-2T, but to avoid stepping on toes, they backed out. They could of done it by now and it would of been sold out, like the 2-6-2 is now, and you would still be waiting for Farish one.

The current Farish policy on new steam locos is not to announce them until they have finished the R+D they have a working prototype up and running. We've seen this with the Royal Scots - prototype was displayed April-May 2008 and the first RTR versions were in the shops just before Christmas that year. Now we have the new Black 5, 4MT and 3MT protypes being displayed last year in Sept, with expected delivery in the next 2-3 months. As stated earlier, not until you see the prototype will you see the Ivatt 6-12 moths latter in the shops, until them you just have to wait, for your boy maybe he may have to get something else while he is waiting, a nice new Black 5 perhaps

You have to remembr that Farish have had the Ivatt 2-6-0 in their catolouge for over 4 years now, with very little news or progress since its announcement.

First announcement is the 2007 catalogue alongside the 9F, so that's only 3 years ;)

The photo is just a photoshopped version of the Bachman OO version with N gauge couplings added. Its the same as their promised 9F!. Dapol did intend to do the 2-6-0 in conjunction with its little brother,the Ivatt 2-6-2T, but to avoid stepping on toes, they backed out. They could of done it by now and it would of been sold out, like the 2-6-2 is now, and you would still be waiting for Farish one.

Mind you Farish were originally planning on doing the 2-6-0 and 2-6-2 Ivatt 2MTs, and the latter was dropped in favour of developing the standard 3MT 2-6-2 when they became aware of Dapol's plans - it does work both ways. Now that was announced in the 2006 catalogue but we should see that this year.

And I think we can assume the 9F has been put on the back burner (or given a lower priority) because of the Dapol entry.

Speculation of course - as I always say with these things, they are the experts at selling model railway equipment and I'm only guessing! smile.gif

And I think we can assume the 9F has been put on the back burner (or given a lower priority) because of the Dapol entry.

I wouldn't be surprised if it had. I'm not looking to buy another one. Especially as I have one more than I planned to get in the first place...

As for the Ivatt, well... in the words of the song, 'I can wait another year...' :)

• RMweb Premium

I wouldn't be surprised if it had. I'm not looking to buy another one. Especially as I have one more than I planned to get in the first place...

As for the Ivatt, well... in the words of the song, 'I can wait another year...' :)

I believe they were planning to drop the 9F after Dapol produced it but they had so many customers saying they want the farish one that it has remained in their plans and hopefully won't be too long now seeing as they have a BR std tender behind the 4MT mogul. (although how long 'too long' is is very debatable!), hence why i havent bought the Dapol version.

Cheers, Richard

• 2 weeks later...

Same here I model the WR and I am not really into the heavy freight scene but Evening Star was something of a celebrity and got around a bit. Hence the application of the first rule. ;)

Archived