Twickenham MRC's Addison Road (Kensington Olympia) in 7mm

TEAMYAKIMA

A suggestion, if I may.  

Would slices of plastruct tube simultaneously represent the pot insulators (my assumption that they were present on this stretch of line) and help ensure that the 3rd rail is a consistent height?

best

simon

1 hour ago, Simond said:

A suggestion, if I may.  

Would slices of plastruct tube simultaneously represent the pot insulators (my assumption that they were present on this stretch of line) and help ensure that the 3rd rail is a consistent height?

best

simon

Hello Simon,

I'm not involved directly in the work, but my understanding is that the 12BA nuts shown in the photo of the test section are being added to do that job - advantage is that they are all a consistent size - and they already exist and therefore much less work than sitting down and trying to cut 80 plastruct tube to a consistent length

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 1 month later...

One of the great bi-products of the Addison Road project in Twickenham club is how the group has reached out to club members who are/were not 7mm modellers when they joined.

Here is Keith working to fit protection boards to the 3rd rail ……………. he's now taken the plunge full-time and models 7mm as his primary scale...………….

1477753473_Fittingprotectionboards.jpg.aed8b429c1fdc62b966595ea1fc9defd.jpg

At the same time Maurice ( a fully fledged 4mm modeller at home ) was weathering the platform brickwork - 'Why no photo ?' I hear you ask !  Was it to protect his identity the next time he goes to EXPOEM ?

Meanwhile Barry (another 7mm convert) was building the giant hoarding by the bridge...………..

436566708_Hoardingunderconstruction.jpg.aa7800e9fdb38eed0ad11ab6e3f11b07.jpg

So the lesson is clear - join a club - get involved - spread your wings - you don't need to do at a club what you do at home!

• Like 4

Addison Road has been confirmed as the BIG attraction at Twickenham & District MRC's OPEN DAY on July 13th. There will be other layouts in other gauges and demonstrations but pride of place will be given to ADDISON ROAD.

Our OPEN DAY  will be a great opportunity to see the layout, chat to the operators, get behind the layout to see the layout from a different angle - and 'YES' maybe have a go at operating it yourself!

So why not come down to see us on the 13th - full details here www.tdmrc.org.uk

Whilst ADDISON ROAD is (supposedly) a fine-scale layout, the group is open to anyone - even King George V!

1448134797_GeorgeV.jpeg.1f13ac6b51fd29176f5de1ddaa2f39fa.jpeg

Joking aside, you can see George V on our sales stand at our Open Day on July 13th!

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Grant,

Where did you get the drawings for LNWR Dia 213 Brake Composite 57ft x 8ft 6ins Elipteeical Coaches are etches available in 4mm. I you a drawings of these coaches would be possible to email me a copy to AndrewJones115@btinternet.com as Ned some these coaches for my Eastbourne4mm layout.

Regards,

Andrew

Andrew Jones

• Like 1

Andrew,

As far as we are aware there are no etches available for these carriages. We purchased a copy of the original LNWR Wolverton Works drawing from the NRM (LNWR drawing 64/9863 dated 23rd June 1908). From this we were able to produce our own drawings, designed for etching in 7mm scale; I do not think they could be simply reduced down for 4mm scale. We have discussed writing up the Dia 213 project for publication but have not got a round tuit yet.1663151787_LBSCRI3no.24onSunnySouth10.jpg.d45d2802fd50b669a2cfbc7e67229394.jpg

• Like 1

Apologies for not keeping this thread up to date.

The layout was exhibited at the recent Gauge O Guild event at Telford. Once the layout was set up there was time for a celebration.……...

IMG_5682.jpeg.ed29a3e4c609a5b03642bffb3a99c4a5.jpeg

Recent additions include …...

A bus conductor …………….

1469947013_Ticketsplease.jpeg.f58c7c18e78f052db17e397388a30c79.jpeg

Some fire buckets …………………………………..

993891259_Upplatformwithfirebuckets.jpeg.8a4fe8a77571c558f856d974dcabfcb6.jpeg

And some beehives - YES, BEEHIVES!

Beehives.jpeg.bea19dc29627a840f2de10b72707df6d.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• Moderators
17 hours ago, Andrew Eastbourne said:

Paul and Grant,

My postal address is (edited by admin).

Andrew

I suggest you send personal information via PM and not in an open forum.

• 1 month later...

Just a quick post from the Addison Road crew ………...

A new addition to the loco roster appeared at out recent running night ……………..

LNWR_steam_railmotor_at_Addison_Rd_(K_Parkin).jpg.391b5b3111ebe84ebb1d4acc79ce26f4.jpg

Then all I need to do is send a 'MERRY XMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR!' from everyone in Twickenham & District MRC in general and in the Addison Road team in particular.

The Addison Road 'team' is a very happy bunch who enjoy all aspects of building and operating the layout - and some of them don't even model 7mm outside of the club!

So, whether you model in '0' gauge or not, you will be very welcome to join our team. And don't let the fact that you might not live in SW London put you off  - we have members in the USA and Germany!

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

With approximately 99% of the work on the layout completed the group has started regular modelling workshops where members bring down models they're building and seek help/support/encouragement from other members.

Keith is one of our keenest modellers - here is his GWR County class 4-4-2. Will he get it finished at this Friday's modelling workshop?

GWR_County_Class_4-4-2T.jpeg.a14042457866683451091aa41b22c8e3.jpeg

At the last workshop Pat and Mike were hard at work - or at least Pat was!

1432202809_PatMikeatwork.jpeg.90ab53ef60b604bdda4f8b67c1cb8c5a.jpeg

And Peter was working on his Pullman car

1472650424_BasswoodroofforaPullmancar.jpeg.d65c902b28b80a66f35a93a32e86a06f.jpeg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Whilst ADDISON ROAD is now, without any doubt, Twickenham MRC's flagship layout it is not the first 7mm layout the club has had.

Back in the mid-1980's, a time when 7mm modelling was beginning a resurgence, there was a move to start the club's first O gauge layout in order to attract 7mm modellers to the club. Now at that time a small group of club members, who did already model in 7mm, had a very large and ambitious O gauge layout called Clamphill. They were approached and invited to lead the new club initiative, but due to storage limitations it would need to be a relatively small layout, to begin with anyway, and so the existing members weren't interested as they already had a much larger private layout to keep them busy.

So, after much discussion, several club-minded members, who had no real interest in O gauge per se came forward to offer to help build this new experimental layout in the hope that it would then attract REAL 7mm modellers to the club. This first speculative O gauge layout was named PORT WARREN after Peter Warren who was just beginning to move from 4mm to 7mm. This first layout was originally conceived as a two stage project - to be small and quick to build, but expandable if 7mm modelling took off in the club.

Eventually PORT WARREN became such a success in attracting 7mm modellers that it was decided not to build stage two but to sell it off in order to make way for a much more ambitious replacement - but that's another story for another day!

PORT WARREN featured in the March 1989 MODEL RAILWAYS ……………………..

DSC_0118.JPG.f66d4960174f056e46f5d7debb93e93f.JPG

DSC_0119.JPG.f061a35b16c8bf6c7802f92ff5247db1.JPGDSC_0114.JPG.a18291a8fb065dd67fe2e61d230e6215.JPG

DSC_0121.JPG

DSC_0122.JPG

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

Paul's post of the Port Warren layout  above highlights the point motors used on this layout. They were the first application of the stall motor that we had tried (in 1989) and initially the motors were put on a strenuous cycling and stall test to prove that they did not overheat. Reliability was excellent and they were also used on several other layouts subsequently, including the (S4) Gilbertstone Quaries, Tidmeric Minerals (0-14) and  the subsequent 7mm layout Watersfield and now Addison Road. 

So successful  were they (Tidmeric Minerals did over 100 shows in the UK and Europe without a single failure of a motor) that the original motors  have been moved from layout to layout so that Addison Road still have original motors in use, supplemented by some newer and smaller versions obtained from scrapped ATM cash  machines where they were used to draw your card into the ATM.

Out side of the Club the original motors are in use on three other layouts including my 0n30 'Clearwater Harbor, Rivendell (0-16.5) and the Orange River and Portland 'FN3' (Finescale US 3ft narrow gauge, 1:20.3 scale).  They work just as well on Peco G scale points as handbuilt S4.

Tid2.JPG.fc82fc8c2940b4c97c603d34950abec3.JPG

This is the underside of Addison Road showing the newer ex ATM motors. The current limiting resistor is just visible behind the centre terminal connector. In this use with handbuilt fine scale track a linear movement on the connection to the tiebar was required so Exactoscale bases were modified  as a mounting.  Frog switching is done by relays.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've found the photos I took of Port Warren back in the 1980's and here's a couple which didn't make the final cut...

0021.jpg.92823c5849c5d3e076ce1305b2832a33.jpg

93827459_0024(1).jpg.31fed77cad507634d61fce0f58a16fb2.jpg

And I've also found this photo of a running session - we know who the two guys in the background are - current member Ron Patterson (sitting) and ex-member Steve Watts, but who is the young (then!) guy actually operating _ if you know who it is please let us know.

5745834_0023(1).jpg.37d2a1857249bd509dab07a85be5ea0f.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I've visited the virtual exhibition this morning and discovered a FANTASTIC video of ADDISON ROAD taken in 2019 at GUILDEX in Telford by Steve Pritchard and many thanks to him for allowing BRM to use it. It's very professional and very informative - GO TAKE A LOOK! -  https://www.world-of-railways.co.uk/virtual-exhibition-layouts/?CurrentPage=1

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 6 months later...

Apologies for the lack of posts on this thread in recent months. There are a couple of reasons; Covid has closed our clubrooms and so there has been no work on the layout to report and secondly I have been working intensely on my own layout - I actually model in HO, but please don't hold that against me!

However, there is some (very) good news ...................

In response to the various restrictions which have affected club life, the club has launched a new club monthly magazine - "Single Line Working".

In recent years the club has relied on various emails and ad hoc newsletters which went out to the members of the various layout groups (N, OO, O & G), but now we have a regular (1st of the month) magazine/newsletter which goes out to all members and really binds the club together in these difficult times under the old club motto, "Think Club!"

There is more to being a T&DMRC member than just building layouts and the new club magazine goes beyond just modelling and reaches into our members other interests. In short our new club magazine aims to inform, educate and amuse our members across the board, but we soon realised that it could also act as a way to give potential members a real flavour of what club life is like before they took that first step towards maybe joining us.

So ........................................................

Twickenham & District Model Railway Club is offering all potential members and all other interested parties a FREE subscription to our monthly club magazine (backdated to December) whilst our clubrooms remain closed - to be honest this is, in effect, a free trial membership of the club. The free trial magazine subscription will be sent out as a pdf and the offer will last until we are able to hold a special 're-launch' Club Open Evening sometime later this year and so potential members will be able to learn about the club and its members before coming down to meet us in person.

If you are a potential member (and please remember that we currently have members in Germany, Malta, the USA and even Watford!) or other interested party, please request your free magazine subscription by emailing us on chairman.tdmrc@gmail.com

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a quick update.

Twickenham & District MRC is surviving very well in these difficult times. We recently had a 100% membership renewal and two new 'country' members in the last 12 months - one in Norway!

You may remember that back in 2019 Peter Warren (the Addison Road group leader) won a Bachmann OO gauge Webb tank 0-6-2T in a LNWR society modelling competition. Well, Peter generously donated it to the club and we recently sold it on ebay. Here it is in its new home ................

CoalTank.jpg.531cfca6625c6316ed7214e7eb08eb08.jpg

It turns out that the new owner doesn't live that far away from the club - compared to Norway! - and we have invited him down to our re-launch open evening when we're able to hold one.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

We're back, up and running!  And to prove it, here are some photos of last week's running session.

Just what you's expect to see .....

230134281_3073115592923150_7493068351579164278_n.jpg.4eb2299b49c3f56585e162495d71bb53.jpg

This is a bit more unusual for a layout set in the 1920's ......

cb595bca-e257-4c3e-ac47-9a0216002668.jpg.1527deeb42b7be54ff1cdda9882e8d9d.jpg

What on earth?????????????????? ..........................

745754190_1BARRY-CROFTW14-6-4607002021_08.27(2).jpg.577b3e758c72ab958a53136db0af76a5.jpg

So there we have it - variety is the spice of life on AR.

Club nights are members only at the moment, but potential members can still register with the club secretary and we'll send you an invite when visitors are welcome. Check us out at www.tdmrc.org

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3