Twickenham MRC's Addison Road (Kensington Olympia) in 7mm

TEAMYAKIMA

Hi Paul, many thanks for info on hanging lamps. Don't worry, I'll just have to keep on looking. The layout looks fantastic, everything from stock to track to buildings to signals. Wish my meagre efforts looked half as professional. Mine are more impressionist than realist!!

Thanks once again Les

• 2 weeks later...

The Addison Road group have been on the road, spreading the word ..... Peter and Grant had a display at '101 NOT OUT' a skills day organised jointly by the Scalefour Society and the EM Society ....... yes we know they are 4mm modellers !

post-4476-0-68966300-1458076933_thumb.jpg

post-4476-0-87696500-1458076942_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 6

And here are the latest images of the layout....

New drainpipes and signage on the main station building...

post-4476-0-12179300-1458085212_thumb.jpg

New yard gates..............

post-4476-0-67298800-1458085226_thumb.jpg

The bay platform gets a nameboard and more fencing gets fitted............

post-4476-0-48480200-1458085219_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 7

The Addison Road group have been on the road, spreading the word ..... Peter and Grant had a display at '101 NOT OUT' a skills day organised jointly by the Scalefour Society and the EM Society ....... yes we know they are 4mm modellers !

As a member of both the EMGS and the Scalefour Society, I'd like to give an enormous thank you for your club's appearance at 101 Not Out.

The displays of the model buildings from Addison Road were inspirational.  The tuition that you gave on the use of graphics packages to obtain information from period photographs and manipulate it in a way to create plans and information of buildings for which no other trace exists was invaluable.  And having a crib-sheet of the key elements to take away afterwards means that it will not be forgotten.

We very much appreciated your participation, and wish you well with the rest of the layout.

Cheers

Paul Willis

Scalefour Society Deputy Chairman

• 2 weeks later...

This is class, real class . . .

Thanks for that ... you can see the layout at its first 'public exhibition' at the Reading show on Saturday May 7th ... lots of midnight oil being burnt at the moment !

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Here's an update ...

Our first public exhibition as a 'work in progress' is at the Association of Large Scale Railway Modellers at the Rivermead Centre, Reading on Saturday May 7th (10am - 4.30pm)

Details here

http://www.alsrm-events.co.uk/

If are following our thread here on RMweb PLEASE come and make yourself known

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA

I promised you more photos ... and here they are the ones from our April 16th work day

Grant and Keith tackle the housing problem......

post-4476-0-03199700-1461190127_thumb.jpg

The Russell Road is taking shape.....

post-4476-0-06243100-1461190077_thumb.jpg

With such a long layout communication will be essential...here is our latest aide...

post-4476-0-28797900-1461190040_thumb.jpg

Meanwhile not all our members model pre-grouping!

post-4476-0-94482200-1461190165_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Really impressive! Keep going .. watching this thread with interest!

One question, which may be me being thick, but why has the semaphore got double arms on each post?  Could under stand a main home and calling on, but I'm a little lost with the double arms?

Rich

Really impressive! Keep going .. watching this thread with interest!

One question, which may be me being thick, but why has the semaphore got double arms on each post?  Could under stand a main home and calling on, but I'm a little lost with the double arms?

Rich

Look closely at the arms, one is a home, one a distant. The LNWR used the same colours but distant arms had the "fishtail" end.

This was not uncommon, as this excellent site illustrates;

http://www.railsigns.uk/sect2page2/sect2page2.html

What has me puzzled is why the right hand arm has only a distant on it. There is doubtless an explanation, probably connected with Addison Road having had more than one box. The middle post is patently the through route, in which case I would read the top arm as Addison Road North's Up starter and the distant under it as Addison Road South's. The left hand post presumably works on the principle that asall trains would be stopping, or at least at restricted speed, there is no purpose to a distant. It is the right hand post that is the puzzle, as with only a distant, there is no signal protecting what is obviously a diverging movement.

Jim

What has me puzzled is why the right hand arm has only a distant on it. There is doubtless an explanation, probably connected with Addison Road having had more than one box. The middle post is patently the through route, in which case I would read the top arm as Addison Road North's Up starter and the distant under it as Addison Road South's. The left hand post presumably works on the principle that asall trains would be stopping, or at least at restricted speed, there is no purpose to a distant. It is the right hand post that is the puzzle, as with only a distant, there is no signal protecting what is obviously a diverging movement.

Jim

For the northbound signals next to the footbridge, the distant signals are Kensington North's down inner distants, which are on the same posts as the Kensington South's down starters - The signals read as follows from left to right: Kensington South Down Platform to Down Platform Starter with Kensington North's Down Platform Distant and subsidiary under it, Kensington South Down Platform Starter to Down Main with Kensington North Down Main Inner Distant and subsidiary under it, Kensington South Down Main Starter with Kensington North Down Inner Distant and subsidiary under it. There is a mid-platform facing connection from the Down Platform Line to the Down Main Line immediately ahead of the signals - With regards to the southbound signals next to Hammersmith Road Bridge, they read as follows: Up Main to Up Goods Line, Up Main Starting with Earls Court Jcn's Up Main Line Distant Below. On the right is Earls Court Jcn's Splitting Distant which reads to the LT's District Line into Earls Court itself - 'Hope this helps! :-)

Edited by Horizontal

With regards to the southbound signals next to Hammersmith Road Bridge, it does, thank you. I hadn't considered that the junction for Earls Court was that close and that it would have had a splitting distant. Since both distants have to be interlocked at the signal with the home, it must have made for some interesting lever arrangements at the bottom of the signal post. I'll have a closer look at the Reading Show next month.

Jim

• RMweb Gold

Look closely at the arms, one is a home, one a distant. The LNWR used the same colours but distant arms had the "fishtail" end.

Ah! My lack of knowledge on LNWR signalling and I'd obviously not looked close enough because if not seen the fishtail ends!

Thanks for explaining.

Rich

With regards to the southbound signals next to Hammersmith Road Bridge, it does, thank you. I hadn't considered that the junction for Earls Court was that close and that it would have had a splitting distant. Since both distants have to be interlocked at the signal with the home, it must have made for some interesting lever arrangements at the bottom of the signal post. I'll have a closer look at the Reading Show next month.

Jim

Both distants would have separate slotting mechanisms worked by a combination of the main arm position and separate levers at Earls Court Jcn! :-)