Twickenham MRC's Addison Road (Kensington Olympia) in 7mm

TEAMYAKIMA

It's almost here!

The van is hired, the track has been cleaned and locos oiled ............... our first public exhibition is less than 72 hours away!

We hope to meet and greet many of you at Reading this Saturday .......... but please remember this is shown as a work in progress, but why not help us speed up our progress by joining our small team. Don't let the fact that you may not live in Twickenham deter you ..... one of our active group members lives in Chicago, USA, so distance need not stop you getting involved!

Come and say 'hello' on Saturday... membership forms available!

Went to Reading today and Addison Road was definitely the highlight for me.

An absolute masterpiece in the making.

Randall

Glad you liked it, we had a great day, even if I did spend the first 40minutes scrabbling around under the baseboards searching for a wire break for the platform lighting.

Steve W.

The AR team met friends old and new at Reading. Did YOU come over to say 'hello'?

Would YOU like to join the team? Contact us via our club website www.tdmrc.org.uk

Did you takeany photos? If so please feel free to post them here

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Some random photos from Reading taken by club members ...

Getting ready...

post-4476-0-38272800-1462953251_thumb.jpg

The first operating session gets under way ......

post-4476-0-62149200-1462953334_thumb.jpg

A couple of Metropolitan electrics make an appearance ....

post-4476-0-36375800-1462953309_thumb.jpg

And then the LBSCR takes centre stage .....

post-4476-0-55639000-1462953369_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 13

• 2 weeks later...

Heres a little taster for anyone interested in Addison Road (or any other of Twickenham & District Model Railway Club's layouts) at this years Open day in July:

Edited by WCML100
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Very, very nice. Those Oerlikon sets are well outside my modeling era or knowledge area, but look superb! Really hope I can get to see this layout on exhibition somewhere.

Rich

This week..............

Keith built the East canopy frame

post-4476-0-34734000-1465336519_thumb.jpg

Pat and Mike added the brackets and then it was fitted

post-4476-0-01478700-1465336118_thumb.jpg

Grant brought down a new cardboard building mock up

post-4476-0-02151100-1465336147_thumb.jpg

Barry rusted the disused bits of the scissors crossover as pre-war it was little used

post-4476-0-05269100-1465336620_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 12

• 2 weeks later...

Whilst the layout is set in pre-grouping days, not all stock running on the layout exactly fits the profile as last week's running session proves

A Brit and blue/gey stock....

post-4476-0-38816500-1466547722_thumb.jpg

The LNWR coal train - well that's what the timetable says!

post-4476-0-16380100-1466547824_thumb.jpg

An LMS EMU - that's getting closer!

post-4476-0-02082200-1466547803_thumb.jpg

At last - a Metropolitan Railway EMU!

post-4476-0-27985600-1466548081_thumb.jpg

Lastly, Keith has been working on the communication system...........

post-4476-0-13086500-1466547743.jpg

• Like 7

Have just unearthed two more photos....

Firstly, the Clapham Junction train.............

post-4476-0-85798300-1466548990_thumb.jpg

And now some news from the workbench. Four sets of etches have arrived for LNWR brake/composites needed for the Sunny South Special. Two coaches to be made by Keith, two by Peter .... who will win the race to complete them ... keep watching!

post-4476-0-75201900-1466549004_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wot! No t-handled box spanner for driving the coach screws home in the chairs? Every good p-way gang should be in possession of at least one, and if the ganger was doing a bit of levelling (usually inevitable at joints) it might take more than a bit of doing to get that jack kunder the rail without its foot fouling the sleepers that need lifting. In the earlier years of railways, and through into the 20th century, the usual tools for lifting track were either a screw jack (whose foot went under the rail) or an iron-shod lever (of considerable proportions) that used the ballast in the four-foot as a fulcrum. There are two excellent pictures, which I can scan and send off-group if required, in Janet Russell's book "GWR Company Servants". Apart from that, I am not quite certain why a p-way gang should need a grindstone - the only things that could need sharpening on a regular basis would be the auger bits used for drilling holes in new sleepers for the chair screws.

Jim

Wot! No t-handled box spanner for driving the coach screws home in the chairs? Every good p-way gang should be in possession of at least one, and if the ganger was doing a bit of levelling (usually inevitable at joints) it might take more than a bit of doing to get that jack kunder the rail without its foot fouling the sleepers that need lifting. In the earlier years of railways, and through into the 20th century, the usual tools for lifting track were either a screw jack (whose foot went under the rail) or an iron-shod lever (of considerable proportions) that used the ballast in the four-foot as a fulcrum. There are two excellent pictures, which I can scan and send off-group if required, in Janet Russell's book "GWR Company Servants". Apart from that, I am not quite certain why a p-way gang should need a grindstone - the only things that could need sharpening on a regular basis would be the auger bits used for drilling holes in new sleepers for the chair screws.

Jim

Hello Jim

As you know I am just the group 'scribe', but I'm sure the team would appreciate any info you can let them have. Please PM me those photos.

Best regards

Paul

Not all, but many PW huts back in the day had a grindstone outside. We didn't, because our gang did not have a base hut but moved around a lot. All rural PW gangs needed to sharpen scythes and hooks, because a large part of the job in summer was to mow and trim back cuttings and embankments. This is why the lineside always looked so trim and tidy in the old photos. We used a "Barker", or sharpening stone, for keeping an edge on our hand tools - these were jealously guarded, because broken ones were much harder to use. There was also fierce competition for scythes with proper forged blades, rather than pressed steel ones, as the forged blades took a keener edge and kept it for longer. The Ganger and Second man always seemed to end up with the best scythes, of course . . .

Here is a sketch I made in 1974 of the tools we used on our NA2 gang -

post-27939-0-00992200-1471421779_thumb.jpg

P.S. A scythe was always called a "sigh" on our gang, perhaps this is just a west country thing. Item (vii), the digger, was actually called a "biddix" (beat-axe), and had a combined pick and axe head. We had several types of jack (viii) of which this is one, designed to be low enough to fit between two sleepers and under the running rail. You might be surprised to learn that we spent just as much time on vegetation control, fencing, clearing ditches and installing drains as we did on the perway itself.

I've still got my "Barker", and my enamelled "Lookout" man's arm-badge . . .

John

Edited by John R Smith
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

As the project matures there has been more research into producing exact reproductions of trains as opposed to just some random (but appropriate) rolling stock. WE have been researching pre-grouping coaching stock and hope to have something to share shortly.

Meanwhile we have been practicing running sessions.in preparation for future exhibitions....

We assembled a double LNWR Oerlikeon set (2 x 3 car) for the first time ...

post-4476-0-19796400-1474094610_thumb.jpg

Later there was a LMS version .....

post-4476-0-87468600-1474094720_thumb.jpg

Here's the next area we need to detail ..... Keith's hut is a good starting point ........

post-4476-0-37131700-1474094687_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 8

Have just found two extra photos from the last operator training session

Ewen's SR 0-4-2T #629 has found a new owner and is seen with some (unprototypical) ex-SECR coaches on the 'Clapham service'

post-4476-0-43164200-1474112786_thumb.jpg

Here is a better photo of the first 6 car LNWR Oerlikeon train

post-4476-0-62664700-1474112718_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 12

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Grant continues to work on the buildings of the North Terrace that form the backdrop to the layout.

Grant is transforming them from 2D into a 3D masterpiece. Here is his latest work in progress. The dimensions are compressed to fit the limited depth but they will look great when in place and viewed in forced perspective.

post-4476-0-46884100-1478194667_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

May I start by apologising to the AR group and those following this thread for the lack of postings recently - various reasons including too much merry making before Xmas!

But back to business as there is a lot to report.

Firstly with regards rolling stock, some new items are in the workshops ....

I'm told that this is a LNWR D213 Brake composite which will be part of our Sunny South Express ...

post-4476-0-30207800-1482741633_thumb.jpg

And some Modern Image (well at least modern for us - 1963!). This is a BR VIX Ferry Van .......

post-4476-0-16674700-1482741655_thumb.jpg

And the scenic team have been busy adding brambles around the bay area ( BTW that's not California ! ). Next up in this area is an allotment ....

post-4476-0-85632900-1482741724_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 2