Twickenham MRC's Addison Road (Kensington Olympia) in 7mm

TEAMYAKIMA

Trees are a big issue on Addison Road - in all senses of the words!

Tree making can be a relaxing and social activity.............

post-4476-0-36302900-1482743468_thumb.jpg

We have researched trees just as much as any other topic - including livery! Here we are comparing a real lime tree leaf with some commercial foliage.......

post-4476-0-15550800-1482743422_thumb.jpg

Here is our first attempt at a 7mm lime tree

post-4476-0-75203000-1482743658_thumb.jpg

And just a few short weeks later our second - by the same member !

post-4476-0-28371700-1482743546_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

You may remember some time back that Grant produced a mock-up of a porch for the North terrace......

post-4476-0-71847600-1482744765_thumb.jpg

Grant then made a technical drawing..................

post-4476-0-84001300-1482762835_thumb.jpg

and now Keith has set up a production line complete with jigs to batch build a load of them. Here is the first one off the production line ready to be evaluated.

post-4476-0-71598500-1482744789_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 4

I like the tree, but there is one snag with the porch - by introducing 3D, next you will need to model the bay windows, and there's twice as many of them. On the other hand, won't the line of trees tend to hide much of the backscene anyway, so would we really notice of boththe porches and the bay windows were flat?

Happy New Year to you all,

Jim

I like the tree, but there is one snag with the porch - by introducing 3D, next you will need to model the bay windows, and there's twice as many of them. On the other hand, won't the line of trees tend to hide much of the backscene anyway, so would we really notice of boththe porches and the bay windows were flat?

Jim

I'm afraid that I agree - either everything is 2D (and that is working perfectly well in all the photos of the layout which we have seen so far) or the whole backscene should be modelled in full 3D low-relief. Mixing the two up just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

John

• RMweb Gold

Trees are a big issue on Addison Road - in all senses of the words!

Tree making can be a relaxing and social activity.............

attachicon.gifTree making.JPG

You've got tree fellas on the left, and tree fellas on the right, bound to be sociable :jester:.

Mike.

(With apologies to the Irish joke)

Jim

I'm afraid that I agree - either everything is 2D (and that is working perfectly well in all the photos of the layout which we have seen so far) or the whole backscene should be modelled in full 3D low-relief. Mixing the two up just doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

John

Hello Jim and John

Fear not!  The North terrace WILL have 3D bay windows, just as the South terrace as shown in post # 146.

Whilst I always thought that was the case I am just the group scribe and not directly involved in the modelling and so it's taken me an hour or two to check with Grant and get the confirmation that that is the case.

Apologies to all concerned that my original posting may have been misleading.

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1

Thank you. I have to admire Grant and the team for their sheer doggedness with this project. Most of us find doing one building enough of a task, but a whole terrace-worth of porches and bay windows has to be, in model railway terms, something of a Herculean task.

Best wishes for 2017,

Jim

• 3 weeks later...

There's good news and bad news for the Addison Road group this week ..............

1. GOOD NEWS ......  another TDMRC member has gone 7mm

2, BAD NEWS ............. maybe his choice of stock is slightly 'off topic' ........

post-4476-0-63650200-1484689397_thumb.jpg

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Have just had it confirmed that our Addison Road group will have a static display at an exciting event TDMRC are putting on in the heart of Twickenham on March 25th at Twickenham Library, Garfield Road, Twickenham TW1 3JT.

It's a FREE pop-up style model railways show ( two working layouts) designed to take our hobby to a new audience.

If you want to meet the Addison Road team this is a great opprtunity to talk about the layout - and sign up to join us!

Visit the club website www.tdmrc.org.uk for full details

With regards the Twickenham Library event...... We're not 100% sure exactly what we'll be taking yet ...depends on transport...probably just one board to fly the flag for 7mm modelling.

Yes, one board only; which one not yet confirmed, but main problem is an event in a place that is limited in size and upstairs, has loading / unloading restrictions and although the library team are very accommodating, has restricted hours of access! The plan is to have something from each of the main projects.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Here are some random photos taken at TDMRC in recent weeks.....................

Grant has a lesson in tree making from Terri Felton......

post-4476-0-20419700-1500032285_thumb.jpg

John Harding (who lives in Chicago, USA) dropped by with his GWR railmotor

post-4476-0-95589700-1500032228_thumb.jpg

Rabbits have bee seen near the allotments!

post-4476-0-56529000-1500032199_thumb.jpg

And who wouldn't like a biscuit?

post-4476-0-85613100-1500032159_thumb.jpg

Don't forget that ADDISON ROAD is up and running at Twickenham MRC's Open Day on Sat July 22nd (10-4). See www.tdmrc.org.uk for full details.

• Like 3

Sadly, one thing that seems to have escaped the attention to detail is the negative conductor rail in the pointwork (more so that the positive), parts of which would not only have had the collector shoes of a real train in short order but also look quite amateurish. Otherwise, it's very nice and will be interesting to see as it gets nearer completion.

Jim

I was about to mention that, having only now had time to read through the whole article. The centre negative rail must be central. Otherwise a superb model.

edited to add I see it's been done in later photos!

What about a Harrods electric delivery van? The Bertram Mills circus train? Lots of horse box traffic used the bay platform for show jumping events at Olympia. The Vauxhall milk train used to use this route, but maybe not in this era.

Edited by roythebus

• 2 weeks later...

Today's TDMRC Open Day was first chance for many people (me included) to see the new Russell Road buildings in situ. Here are a couple of shots before we opened - so no pesky visitors blocking the view!

post-4476-0-86410100-1500744518_thumb.jpg

And looking the other way ....

post-4476-0-66895300-1500744538_thumb.jpg

We did have many visitors and ADDISON ROAD attracted lots of interest (honest!) but managed to grap this photo with some stock now on the layout during a quiet period.....

post-4476-0-93135900-1500744721_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

Here are some more random photos from TDMRC's open day ....

No Open Day would be complete without visitors, and members to point out the details .....

post-4476-0-76831900-1501068966_thumb.jpg

On ADDISON ROAD we like steam........

post-4476-0-74576000-1501068993_thumb.jpg

But we like Diesels too.......

post-4476-0-43345400-1501069032_thumb.jpg

Our Oerlikons were prominent .....

post-4476-0-08604300-1501069058_thumb.jpg

John's BR(W) railcar was a favourite .....

post-4476-0-76933000-1501069081_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

This is an unashamedly pro-active plug for membership of Twickenham MRC.

The club's ADDISON ROAD project has been going for nearly eight years and regretfully over that period anno domini has taken its tole and so the group now stands at only four fully committed full time 7mm modellers. The project is nearing completion and now the emphasis turns to training up a team of operators to take the layout out onto the exhibition circuit.

The layout needs more than four people to take it out on the road - so if you have been looking at (and admiring?) ADDISON ROAD on RMweb, how about taking that interest a stage further and joining the group? The club already has active members in Woking, Watford and even Chicago, Illinois and so distance is not necessarily a barrier to anyone getting involved - in fact our Chicago member has contributed many small features on ADDISON ROAD.

TDMRC has three tiers of mambership and  'country membership' is just £18 a year and so if you live in the country (or even another country!) you could be part of the team for very little outlay. If the idea interests you please send me a PM and, by the way, the club is having a BBQ/Social this Friday so a great way to come down and chat to group members in a relaxed atmosphere - and multi-gauge test track will be up and running so you could bring something down and have a run whilst enjoying a burger or two - give it a thought!