Chris T's photo archives

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif690830 Thornaby 6826.jpg

Here's Class 37 6826 with a train of mineral wagons.  I hesitate to say that they are 16 ton versions but I think most of them are this time although I am sure that Clive will correct me if I am wrong!

Cracking pics again Chris.

The first 9/10 wagons seem to be iron ore tipplers of varying capacities, then we get on to the mineral wagons!

Mike. (Not Clive)

I always wish I could have visited Thornaby station when it still had buildings not just a bus shelter.

David

I went through Thornaby on the train a few years back and was very saddened to see what had happened to the old station.  The brickwork of the station buildings included some ornate decorative bands which you can see at the top right of the fourth photograph by the "Gentlemen" sign.  Its a shame the building couldn't have been restored like Bury St Edmunds but, I suppose like many things, it was cheaper to knock it down and build a bus shelter.

Chris Turnbull 

Summer holidays in the 'Boro, eh, Chris? How the other half lived. I bet it took weeks to get the smell out of your clothes.

Probably, but that was my mother's problem.  I didn't notice or care!  Coming from the flat, sugar beet covered lands of East Anglia the hills and industry were so different and exciting.  The different coloured flames coming out of the chimneys of the ICI works at Billingham on a summer's evening were quite spectacular.  Like all children there were certain things we had to do like have a trip on the transporter bridge - or walk over the top which you could do then - and build dams in the streams up on t'moors to name but two.  Happy days!

One Sunday morning my father took my brother and I to Thornaby MPD where we tracked down the foreman, cash exchanged hands, and we had a guided tour of the sheds.  This was before I had a camera so no photographs sadly.

Chris Turnbull

Staying in the northeast, we now move to Saltburn,  the end of the line, on 27th August 1969

1445064270_690827SaltburnK9_11.jpg.335be937993e849a22325a2aa4059b38.jpg

Looking towards the buffer stops there is a Met-Camm. on the right.  I don't know what the other unit is but I'll bet that someone can tell us!

2003685340_690827SaltburnK9_12.jpg.ab222a01c008d0c9ee720746130a65a8.jpg

Turning round we now look down the track towards Middlesbrough.  I am intrigued to see a tandem turnout on what looks like a running line as I thought these things were usually confined to goods yards and loco sheds.  Obviously they are not 

247078074_690827SaltburnK9_13.jpg.ee4b19182c68273e0d66143038c53340.jpg

And this is how I know it's a Met-Camm. unit; E50222 but I don't know the number of the other car.

238694286_690827SaltburnK9_14.jpg.2b8df5282c55b087ac3871e6696776b3.jpg

Lastly, inside the gloomy trainshed.  Clearly picking up litter was not a priority.

I haven't been back to Saltburn since I took these photos so I have no idea what it's like today.  Is the trainshed still there or is it long gone?  Perhaps someone can tell us (Jonathan?) and if anyone has any "now" photos then please feel free to post them on this thread.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 14

Long gone, Chris and there's a supermarket there now.  You can walk along the line of the infilled extension to the back of the hotel and see the old platform, but the station itself is just two platform faces and a bus shelter.  The portico is still there, though and ISTR the tile map is as well although it's now in affectively an alley behind the supermarket.

Turning round we now look down the track towards Middlesbrough.  I am intrigued to see a tandem turnout on what looks like running line as I thought these things were usually confined to goods yards and loco sheds.  Obviously they are not 

Chris Turnbull

Perfectly fine just there doing what it does. Only one facing point lock required and that's all standard components. If you were to fit a facing point lock to the inner set thing's get interesting. Not impossible to do but the expense goes up. Hitchin had one in the up slow. All trailing so no FPL's.

• RMweb Premium

attachicon.gif690830 Thornaby 6826.jpg

Here's Class 37 6826 with a train of mineral wagons.  I hesitate to say that they are 16 ton versions but I think most of them are this time although I am sure that Clive will correct me if I am wrong!

Cracking pics again Chris.

The first 9/10 wagons seem to be iron ore tipplers of varying capacities, then we get on to the mineral wagons!

Mike. (Not Clive)

Hi Chris

As you can see Mike has beaten me :umbrage:

Staying in the northeast, we now move to Saltburn,  the end of the line, on 27th August 1969

attachicon.gif690829 Saltburn (1).jpg

Looking towards the buffer stops there is a Met-Camm. on the right.  I don't know what the other unit is but I'll bet that someone can tell us!

Chris Turnbull

Looks like another Met-Cam when I enlarge the photo.

• RMweb Gold

attachicon.gif690829 Saltburn (1).jpg

attachicon.gif690829 Saltburn (2).jpg

Turning round we now look down the track towards Middlesbrough.  I am intrigued to see a tandem turnout on what looks like a running line as I thought these things were usually confined to goods yards and loco sheds.  Obviously they are not 

attachicon.gif690829 Saltburn (3).jpg

And this is how I know it's a Met-Camm. unit; E50222 but I don't know the number of the other car.

attachicon.gif690829 Saltburn (4).jpg

Lastly, inside the gloomy trainshed.  Clearly picking up litter was not a priority.

I haven't been back to Saltburn since I took these photos so I have no idea what it's like today.  Is the trainshed still there or is it long gone?  Perhaps someone can tell us (Jonathan?) and if anyone has any "now" photos then please feel free to post them on this thread.

Chris Turnbull

Fantastic pictures, it looks like a lot of the track was still in regular use judging by how shiney it is. Looking at the run round loop it seems some loco hauled services were still using it, parcels service?

Finally I didn't realise that the excursion platform was taken out before the others

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting those great shots of York and yes, it is a 16-tonner behind 8302 ;-)   Further back appears to be a Conflat L in use as a runner, then an ex-GW(?) van with sliding door and then a couple of bulk grain hoppers.    On the original photo, can you make out the branding on the Vanwide behind 278 in the first picture?   Continuing the army theme, (The) Honourable Artillery Company is the oldest regiment in the British army (useful for pub quizzes??).  

Bill

Hi Chris,

Thanks for posting those great shots of York and yes, it is a 16-tonner behind 8302 ;-)   Further back appears to be a Conflat L in use as a runner, then an ex-GW(?) van with sliding door and then a couple of bulk grain hoppers.    On the original photo, can you make out the branding on the Vanwide behind 278 in the first picture?   Continuing the army theme, (The) Honourable Artillery Company is the oldest regiment in the British army (useful for pub quizzes??).  

Bill

The Vanwide branding is for return to

FOSS ISLANDS

YORK N.E.R.

A distinctive and common sight at York in the 60s and 70s, going to and from Rowntrees.

Chris Turnbull

Thanks Chris for taking the time to post these pictures, and thanks also to everyone who has contributed to make this a very interesting thread.

I only made one visit to Saltburn in 1982, and as I recall I took one photo and returned on the same train!

It is certainly not a 'now' shot, but here it is

post-7081-0-63782300-1416763358.jpg

Another class 101 Met-Cam set at Saltburn, no.s 56219, 50233 wait at the stop blocks, 22/6/82

cheers 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The station stayed pretty derelict for a long while this and the road the other side of this platform have been the only lines in use since 1970

Note the unit only has one red light lit. I'm pretty sure that the rules changed around this time to display two .prior to this two red lights indicated the royal train! Something that irritates me with new models and preserved DMUs

Hi Chris,

Bill

Could 8302 be on a local trip working to Foss Island Yard? Some of the wagons could be for  onwards transit on the Derwent Valley Railway.

I remember class 20s on the Foss Islands trip in the 1980s, but was never ready with my camera!

cheers 

Hi Chris,

Bill

The van's ex-LMS or LNER; war-time build; these had sliding doors, whereas GW vans had twin vents and hinged doors.

• RMweb Premium

The van's ex-LMS or LNER; war-time build; these had sliding doors, whereas GW vans had twin vents and hinged doors.

Hi Brian

I would go with Late and Never Early the roof profile looks deeper than a 'elL of a MesS which were much flatter.

Yet more very nice photos.

About a month ago I promised Mr Ingram some photographs of Chesterton Junction (post #27).  I have been most remiss for which I apologise, travelling all over the country, but we are finally back in East Anglia and our first port of call is this junction.  For those of you who are not familiar with Cambridge, Chesterton Junction was the junction for the St Ives line and lay a couple of miles north of Cambridge station.  There was also a permanent way depot there cunningly called Chesterton Permanent Way Depot.  All these photographs except the last were taken on 15th September 1974.  

1807645943_740915ChestertonJunction47023A16.jpg.8feaa81a8e325d14fe01113adeecb836.jpg

This is Class 47 47023 on an Up passenger passing Chesterton Junction signalbox for which I am sure LNERGE probably has the signalling diagram and which will appear shortly.  The line to St Ives diverges to the left and the photograph was taken from the Fen Road level crossing.

1271009160_740915ChestertonJunction3701431326A14.jpg.a6debf01915a92d50eff4988f244c36e.jpg

Taken from more or less the same vantage point here's 37014 and 31326 heading past on the Up line.  The PWay yard can be seen in the background to the left.  

1758351655_740915ChestertonJunction03016A15.jpg.9138ddb75e9af2d8a17ef500728d26e7.jpg

And here's the PWay yard shunter, 03016, resting between duties.  LNERGE probably has the shunt signal as well!

1199516425_740915ChestertonJunctionDMUA13.jpg.1cf2f1b94a6304fe656d20682c1f1b27.jpg

Taken from Moss Bank, this is a Norwich-bound service crossing Fen Road level crossing.  In the background can be seen the substantial bridge over the river Cam.

1394854847_750226ChestertonJunctionClass37A17.jpg.47b5aa27fc48f7ffd38860eda8acbb6f.jpg

And here is an unidentified Class 37 crossing that bridge on 26th February 1975.

In between Chesterton Junction and Coldhams Lane Junction lay Barnwell Junction, the junction for the Mildenhall line.  The line itself closed many moons ago but a record of a trip to Mildenhall behind an ex-GE E4 was made in the 1950's and may be found at:-

http://lode.ccan.co.uk/content/catalogue_item/cambridge-to-mildenhall-line-2

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 16

This is Class 47 47023 on an Up passenger passing Chesterton Junction signalbox for which I am sure LNERGE probably has the signalling diagram and which will appear shortly.

Chesterton Junction box diagram, despite promises, has eluded me for many years. In the 1920's the LNER carried out a resignalling scheme between Cambridge and March. Some were done in house like March South Junction, Whitemoor Junction and Ely North Junction. Somersham, Chesterton Junction, Ely Dock Junction and St Ives were let to Westinghouse and they fitted their A2 style lever frames. I'd so love to get my hands on an Early CJ diagram.

I can post a Somersham Junction so you can see the lovely style the original CJ was probably drawn in <g>

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 1

In between Chesterton Junction and Coldhams Lane Junction lay Barnwell Junction, the junction for the Mildenhall line.  The line itself closed many moons ago but a record of a trip to Mildenhall behind an ex-GE E4 was made in the 1950's and may be found at:-

http://lode.ccan.co.uk/content/catalogue_item/cambridge-to-mildenhall-line-2

Chris Turnbull

I can of course supply just about anything else other than Chesterton Junction..

post-4034-0-00685100-1416863761_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

LNERGE probably has the shunt signal as well!

Chris Turnbull

I've got very little from Chesterton Junction. I do have three very cherished items, two of which were still to be installed in 1974 and the third may go back only to power box days, the latter being of course the St Ives line train staff. It did have an outing on the first day of the misguided busway and was carried for all to see but no one noticed.. ( unlike a little incident between Willington and Blunham when i cycled through the section with a Web-Thomson large staff in the basket in front)

• Like 1

It has been mentioned on here before, but between 1969 and 2007 Barnwell Junction hosted the 1923-built Pullman coach "Montana", which has since been moved to Sussex.  I'll leave it to ChrisT to post a better photo than my 1974 Instamatic b&w "effort".

It has been mentioned on here before, but between 1969 and 2007 Barnwell Junction hosted the 1923-built Pullman coach "Montana", which has since been moved to Sussex.  I'll leave it to ChrisT to post a better photo than my 1974 Instamatic b&w "effort".

Sorry Eddie but that's something I never photographed.  I know the Pullman you mean, I saw it regularly, but never thought to photograph it.  If you want to post your photo then please do.

Chris Turnbull

• RMweb Premium
AberdeenBill, on 23 Nov 2014 - 16:26, said:AberdeenBill, on 23 Nov 2014 - 16:26, said:AberdeenBill, on 23 Nov 2014 - 16:26, said:

Hi Chris,

Bill

Could we assume the 16 tonner was provided as a barrier wagon to protect the loco incase that steel moved perhaps?

There is also a 16T on the train again ahead of steel hauled by the Class 25 at the top of post 226.

I stopped off at York in October for a loco change on a tour. Not quite so interesting there these days is it?!

Edited by Gary H

It's about time we paid a visit to Bressingham, courtesy of Alan Bloom.  At the end of August 1968 Alan invited the Bury St Edmunds MRC to put on a model railway display at his establishment and, as a railway-mad 16 year old, how could I not go along?

2055703357_680902BressinghamGwyneddK4_12.jpg.ba93c34febad5352d402e777d934e9d8.jpg

Out in the gardens here's a narrow gauge 0-4-0ST "Gwynedd".  I don't know much about narrow-gauge locomotives so if anyone can give more information then please feel free. 

1065653951_680902BressinghamThundersleyK4_10.jpg.2a3645a6344cc0c6497629c051bc789a.jpg

Inside the shed where the club had its display, here's LTSR 4-4-2T "Thundersley" in all her glory.

605741283_680902Bressingham70013K4_11.jpg.2b0b35ca5f5d470746e0cdb3bf714e3b.jpg

"Oliver Cromwell"  had just arrived after having hauled the "15 Guinea Special".  She was towed to Diss station where she was loaded on to a low-loader for transfer to Bressingham.  There is a low bridge under the railway line at Diss and the only way she could get under the bridge was by letting the tyres down on the low-loader. 

326541501_680902Bressingham70013K4.3.jpg.347005af21d16718677d82cf9ffedc72.jpg

Of course, there was no way I wasn't going to clamber all over 70013.  Here is yours truly in the cab.

Chris Turnbull 

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 16

Could we assume the 16 tonner was provided as a barrier wagon to protect the loco incase that steel moved perhaps?

There is also a 16T on the train again ahead of steel hauled by the Class 25 at the top of post 226.

I stopped off at York in October for a loco change on a tour. Not quite so interesting there these days is it?!

That is not a marshalling requirement I had previously been aware of.

I do remember in later years that the pink pages of the Working Manual referring to dangerous goods had restrictions for marshalling certain steel traffic,

like rods, blooms and plate that could not be marshalled adjacent to tank cars loaded with certain types of flammable liquids,

cheers