Chris T's photo archives

Interesting shots. I'm a bit puzzled by the shots of the fairburn tank in red oxide, and what seems to be a red standard tender engine behind it. Surely it's a bit late for them to be painted, or are they being tarted up for preservation?

Both locos were/still are preserved, being stored initially at Carnforth (with others e.g. B1 61306) .

46441 was still in an un-authentic livery in recent years.

The Fairburn tank is currently at the Lakeside & Haverthwaite Railway.

Brian R

Interesting shots. I'm a bit puzzled by the shots of the fairburn tank in red oxide, and what seems to be a red standard tender engine behind it. Surely it's a bit late for them to be painted, or are they being tarted up for preservation?

Andy G

Andy, the tender belonged to an Ivatt small mogul (4)6441. It had been painted in an LMS-type colour scheme in peparation for preservation - https://www.flickr.com/photos/80572914@N06/7531433192/in/set-72157630154802550/lightbox/. The Fairburn had had work done on it as well, and I saw it in September 1968, but I can't remember what colour it was then.

Yes, I had the same feeling after visiting Carnforth in 1970. 46441 was in steam and running up and down one of the tracks alongside the shed area, giving brake van rides - but its red paint and LMS insignia somehow put me off going again.

It was as if steam had suddenly become a quirky novelty, which was not how I saw it.

• RMweb Premium

Yes, real coal, not nutty slack. If that was for locomotive use the firemen must have been in heaven (unless it was a type which clogged up the firebars and had to be removed with a great deal of brute force).

I had the same reaction when I visited Lakeside and saw a Caledonian blue tank loco at least a generation too young to have carried the livery. Never been again.

Several preserved lines ran locos I fictitious colour schemes at that time, the KWVR among them. A problem was a prohibition by BR of using any logo of the BR logos: BRITISH RAILWAYS, ferret and dartboard or the 1957 logo. They were trying to rid themselves of the vision of the old fashioned steam engine and were madly pushing forward the ultra-modern diesel and electric image. Engines could not therefore be turned out in correct livery, not if built in the BR era, at least, and there seemed to be a sort of 'What the Hell' reaction. Most lines have grown up a bit since.

Super photos Chris that bring back lots of happy memories for some of us older folk!

In post 288, you mention the cleaning of some locomotives and the fact that occasionally only one side received the attention of an oily rag.  Often, in the final two years of B.R. steam, this was undertaken by enthusiasts rather than shed staff, especially by the most famous group known as 'the Master Neverers Association'.

After arriving on shed late at night and ascertaining which engines were diagrammed to perform certain duties on the following day (armed with the knowledge of where the most likely places were to obtain the best photos, regarding possible sunlight and gradients, etc.), a few of the lucky locomotives would have an oily rag wiped over the smokebox, or the side which would face the sunshine, etc.   Sometimes the complete engine would get the full treatment, for example if it was a Jubilee in summer 1967 and if enough enthusiasts were present.  Hence some locomotives got the full treatment and some just the minimum a clean smokebox.

By 1967, the practice was tolerated by some of the shed-staff at the remaining steam depots and quite a few crews were pleasantly surprised when confronted with a smart engine for what was considered by then as an ordinary turn in a dirty and un-cared-for environment.  

Prior to 1967, just occasionally, when a really unusual engine was to be used for a special train, like 60019 'Bittern', diagrammed for a special train from Manchester in March 1966, the word got out to the local enthusiasts.  And on the day before the special, a whole crowd of youngsters were found applying oily rags to the mucky 'Streak' sent down from Aberdeen Ferryhill.  Nowadays, the 'Elf and safety' people would go nuts at 15 year old school-boys standing on the handrails and reaching across the warm casing of an A4 still in light steam to give it a bit of a sparkle.  By gum, it was in the last century and nearly fifty of our earth years ago!

Please keep the photos coming.

All the best,

John

• Like 11

Super photos Chris that bring back lots of happy memories for some of us older folk!

In post 288, you mention the cleaning of some locomotives and the fact that occasionally only one side received the attention of an oily rag.  Often, in the final two years of B.R. steam, this was undertaken by enthusiasts rather than shed staff, especially by the most famous group known as 'the Master Neverers Association'.

After arriving on shed late at night and ascertaining which engines were diagrammed to perform certain duties on the following day (armed with the knowledge of where the most likely places were to obtain the best photos, regarding possible sunlight and gradients, etc.), a few of the lucky locomotives would have an oily rag wiped over the smokebox, or the side which would face the sunshine, etc.   Sometimes the complete engine would get the full treatment, for example if it was a Jubilee in summer 1967 and if enough enthusiasts were present.  Hence some locomotives got the full treatment and some just the minimum a clean smokebox.

By 1967, the practice was tolerated by some of the shed-staff at the remaining steam depots and quite a few crews were pleasantly surprised when confronted with a smart engine for what was considered by then as an ordinary turn in a dirty and un-cared-for environment.  

Prior to 1967, just occasionally, when a really unusual engine was to be used for a special train, like 60019 'Bittern', diagrammed for a special train from Manchester in March 1966, the word got out to the local enthusiasts.  And on the day before the special, a whole crowd of youngsters were found applying oily rags to the mucky 'Streak' sent down from Aberdeen Ferryhill.  Nowadays, the 'Elf and safety' people would go nuts at 15 year old school-boys standing on the handrails and reaching across the warm casing of an A4 still in light steam to give it a bit of a sparkle.  By gum, it was in the last century and nearly fifty of our earth years ago!

Please keep the photos coming.

Thank you for your kind comments.  I intend to keep the photos coming although they won't all be the 1960s.  Apologies for the break in transmission last night but my wife and I decided to go out for a curry and when we got back Mr Portillo was on.

It's interesting what you say about enthusiasts cleaning the locomotives.  I witnessed a loco being cleaned from the bridge at Carnforth - it may have been 75048 - and as it was the middle of the afternoon I assumed it was a couple of the shed staff.  If I had thought for a moment that I could have joined them I would have done so like a shot!

Chris Turnbull

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Even that shot of withdrawn locos as Carnforth looks much better than the current scene with whole rows of rotting passenger rated vehicles. It is only at the north end that there seems to be anything likely ever to move again. I really think most of it is now just scrap, long beyond preservation. Hardly even anything under a tarpaulin. And even the stock in current use looks very dismal and unkempt.

Please keep the photos coming. It's all history if it wasn't taken this morning.

• RMweb Gold

These are some very special photos Chris

Not only did you capture steam's last breaths but rarely you also captured the rest of the scene - the Clayton and Co-Bo at Carnforth are pricelss

Many many thanks for sharing them.

Phil

• Agree 1

Staying at Rose Grove for one final batch, here we are still on 10th July 1968

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 48191, 48448 8.12.jpg

Class "8F" 48191 drifts through the platform road while 48448 (with snowplough) is held at signals.  I think this photograph is as interesting for the depressing state of the station facilities as it is for the locomotives. 

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 45156 8.15.jpg

One locomotive that was kept in reasonble condition was Class "5" 45156 "Ayrshire Yeomanry", probably because she was a "namer" albeit devoid of nameplates by this time.  Here she is entering the shed.

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 48730 8.11.jpg

Class "8F" 48730 rests on shed with the coaling tower in the background.

attachicon.gif680710 Rose Grove 75027 8.10.jpg

Standard Class "4" 75027 is shunted into the withdrawn locomotive road alongside the shed her BR working life over.  She may now be found on the Bluebell Railway, I believe.

Thanks to Jonny777 as usual

Chris Turnbull.

Some of the best quality photos of Rose Grove I have seen.  So useful for the modelling, and fantastic memories of the station from my visit in 1967.  Really hope you have more of 10F, but still enjoying others especially around Manchester.  Thank you for posting, Steve

Hanging around depressing stations and bunking uncared-for sheds is all very well but to see steam locomotives really working you need to get out on the line.

1740350585_680711Hoghton453948_35.jpg.16ca89db143b153e38090d2c8c903871.jpg

This is Class "5" 45394 working hard with a train of mineral wagons climbing the bank at Hoghton between Lostock Hall and Blackburn on 11th July 1968

1799709316_680711Carnforth452688_34.jpg.9ec767e603c4adab5f7122a453837f0c.jpg

Of course, steam locomotives still required servicing right up to the end.  This is "Black Five" 45268 on the turntable at Carnforth...

2098595887_680711Carnforth44758beingcoaled8_31.jpg.7d1338451664c29f96b009b4ee9f0fa9.jpg

...and this is sister engine 44758 receiving a tender full of coal, probably that which we saw in the photographs taken on the two preceding days.

2092463602_680711Carnforth4513444735failedDMU8_29.jpg.b990c663ca0b076a7ace5aff39fd2177.jpg

By the 11th the weather had turned.  Gone was the balmy July weather I had enjoyed on my first two days to be replaced with damp, cooler weather.  However the dismal weather was more than made up for by goings-on in Carnforth station.  The DMU forming the 9.51 Morecambe service had failed and was towed away by 45134.  44735 waits in the platform.  

1559101563_680711Carnforth45268on9.51Morcambe8_30.jpg.1941e469dbff3dc17ff5f055378283cb.jpg

A rake of coaches was found (something that couldn't be done today), 45258 was coupled up and set off for Morecambe.  Did I have time to buy a ticket?  No!

Was this the last steam-hauled service train to run on standard-gauge BR metals?  Stay turned to find out.

Thanks to Jonny777 for his valued vetting once again.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 12

This is an article that appeared in the October 1968 Railway Magazine.  Entitled "Reflections of the Last Night" it was written by "A Mourner".  It is highly evocative and poignant so I have reproduced it in full.

"On Saturday, August 3rd 1968, from eight o’clock onwards, railway enthusiasts from many parts of the British Isles began to assemble at Preston Station.  Two taxi-drivers remarked about the unusually long queue formed at the ticket office, oblivious of the real significance of the occasion.  Mostly only two destinations were being booked – Blackpool South and Liverpool Exchange – by the last two ordinary-service trains on British Railways standard gauge metals to be hauled by steam engines.

The platforms were a seething mass of humanity, sporting numerous cases carrying cameras and tape-recorders, while two bearded gentlemen clad in top hats and tails, and carrying a mock coffin draped with slogans on the impending demise of the steam locomotive, marched in sombre style past the Brush type “4” and coaches of the 17.05 from Euston, the rear of which was to form the 20.50 to Blackpool.

As Stanier class “5” 4-6-0 No. 45212 backed on to this train, packed to capacity, photographers jostled with each other for suitable positions, and tape-recordists started the reels turning in an attempt to record her every beat and hiss.  Soon No. 45212 was gone, the last of a great pageant of steam locomotives which have carried thousands to the Fylde Coast over the years.

Pending the expected arrival at 21.12 of the 17.25 from Glasgow, many people went to the other end of the station to photograph and admire another Stanier class “5”, No. 45318, waiting to take the Liverpool portion.  As the train came in the tape-recordists rushed to get into the front coaches of the section due to depart at 21.25 for Liverpool, while photographers fortunate enough to possess flash stood ready to take their final shots of steam at Preston Station.

With a blast from the exhaust, and to a battery of flash guns, No. 45318 pulled her train gently out: this was the moment of no return.  As she climbed steadily up the West Coast main line to Farington Curve Junction there were still isolated flashes of blue light from photographers at strategic vantage points on the lineside.  Once over the short sharp climb to Moss Lane Junction, No. 45318 began to hurry her train along into the night in the best traditions of steam (time-recordists noted an “80” at one point).

All too soon we were passing through the Liverpool suburbs, past Aintree where the outline of the now-silent engine shed, its coaling plant still towering into the sky, appeared a silent tribute to the golden age of steam.  Three miles farther on hardly a trace could be seen of Bank Hall shed, another former mecca of the steam enthusiast – a stark reminder that an era was drawing to a close.

As No. 45318 proudly brought her train slowly to a standstill in Liverpool Exchange the enthusiasts gathered round to pay their last respects: the few ordinary passengers filed past with hardly a look at the engine, mildly surprised, partly amused at all the fuss.  There was a chorus of “Auld Lang Syne” and three cheers for the steam Locomotive. 

There was a carnival atmosphere about the whole affair, yet it was tinged with sadness.  There were still the six enthusiasts’ specials to come on the next day and the very last train of all the following Sunday.  There are steam visits to private lines and industrial systems to look forward to, but this was the last occasion on which one could pay one’s fare at a British Railways booking-office window, and travel behind a steam locomotive on an ordinary service train." 

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 10

Thanks Clive & Fat Controller

They look like standard 45t GLW tanks (except the first, which looks like the earlier 35t GLW type) carrying Class A liquids, as Clive has just said... The two goods vans are barrier vehicles, mandatory for Class A liquids at this time whilst the brake van is there to reduce the shunting (a double run-round) at the terminal; there'll be another one at the other end. The absence of identifying labels is unusual, as the oil companies were keen on advertising their wares at this time; I wonder if they could belong to, or be leased by, Carless, for traffic from Harwich, as they went for painted lettering on the tank, rather than the separate boards used by others.

Thanks chaps for commenting on the tank wagons in Chris picture of  2 x Cl 15  at Bury St Edmunds in 1968 .  I suspect FC you may well be right  as the Carless refinery had open at Harwich in 1964   see attached link  for shot of some old MP and a 1960's Carless lorry.      http://fueloilnews.co.uk/2014/06/a-golden-moment-for-hcs-harwich-refinery/

Thanks to Chris for the thread.  :locomotive:

kr

Keith

Thanks Clive & Fat Controller

Thanks chaps for commenting on the tank wagons in Chris picture of  2 x Cl 15  at Bury St Edmunds in 1968 .  I suspect FC you may well be right  as the Carless refinery had open at Harwich in 1964   see attached link  for shot of some old MP and a 1960's Carless lorry.      http://fueloilnews.co.uk/2014/06/a-golden-moment-for-hcs-harwich-refinery/

Thanks to Chris for the thread.  :locomotive:

kr

Keith

'Fuel Oil News'- has this one been on 'Have I Got News For You' yet?