Chris T's photo archives

• RMweb Premium

What, you mean like this?

attachicon.gif070811 Shenfield Brake van.jpeg

Shenfield 11th August 2007

Chris Turnbull

Hi Chris

Yeah!!! Someone said in John Dutfield's shop last Saturday that the Shenfield Shark was being moved after goodness knows how many years.

Can anyone confirm it has at long last been shifted?

I am a great lover of "Britain's Railways from the Air" type books and whilst I do not have an aeroplane or helicopter I do like to get as high as possible for my photographs.  I am always trying to seek out new vantage points and new locations, to boldly go where no railway photographer has gone be-.  Sorry, got a bit carried away there.

Anyway, these were taken from the roof of the Westfield shopping centre looking down on Stratford station on 7th May 2009.

894502266_090507StratfordfromtopofD3(1)P.JPG.0251fcff65e1bac7f98ef67a76479a04.JPG

Looking towards Liverpool Street

1373484736_090507StratfordfromtopofD3(2)P.JPG.04f5433ddec634d73d1671ab9f9c230d.JPG

Looking north towards Norwich

432428767_090507StratfordfromtopofD3(3)P.JPG.9bb7ff3d5f89d9d79ddafe57f4302dea.JPG

An unidentified Class 90 glides through with a freight

That's all for the time being of the current stuff.  Its into the Tardis and back to the '60s now.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 12

And finally, Coldhams Lane lever frame.  I wouldn't be at all surprised to find out that someone now has this lever frame in their garage!

Chris Turnbull

As far as i know the lever frame was scrapped. What does survive is that Welwyn winder visible on the blockshelf..

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for these photos Chris, they certainly take me back!  Interesting to hear the Ipswich-Liverpool St via Bury called the 'Parliamentary' - I can understand why it would be, but in Cambridge it was often referred to as the 'Bury Fenman' (I think the up train left Cambridge shortly after the 'real' Fenman).  Keep 'em coming!

I think that the class 73 photo is one of the best I have ever seen for showing the livery as initially applied to many of the class. 

Also the 33+4TC combo does illustrate the slight variation in the appearance of the blue shades between the locomotive and electric units, although not as dramatic a difference as some discussion groups would lead you to believe.

• Like 1

The paint 'shade' discrepancy is more probably associated with the method of application.

IIRC MU and carriage stock were being 'airless' sprayed around this time, whilst the loco had probably been brush painted sometime earlier.

Spraying paint tends to electrostatically charge the particles which then 'lay' on the surface in a different way to brushed paint. the paint then reflects light differently and so appears to be a different colour.

Look at a partially resprayed red car under orange street lights to really emphasise what I am trying to say.

Rgds,

Andy

Lovely photos of Waterloo, my dad took me and my brother on day trips each year from Exeter to London starting about 1965.

I remember standing at the head of the platform watching a Bulleid pacific blowing off steam waiting to depart.

Also sitting by the Embankment eating our sandwiches which had been packed in a biscuit tin.

Later in the 1970s when trainspotting I was always excited to see what locos might be stabled in the parcels bay,

thanks for posting

cheers 

• RMweb Premium

Found it. According to Baby Deltic in the "Ghosts in the machine thread" it was moved last weekend. (sorry I don't know how to paste links to other threads):

"I understand the Shenfield Shark was removed last weekend. It was jacked up on skates and I think it was taken to Chelmsford for removal by road, no doubt from the old Royal Mail siding. Its destination was the Epping Ongar Railway."

• RMweb Gold

Found it. According to Baby Deltic in the "Ghosts in the machine thread" it was moved last weekend. (sorry I don't know how to paste links to other threads):

"I understand the Shenfield Shark was removed last weekend. It was jacked up on skates and I think it was taken to Chelmsford for removal by road, no doubt from the old Royal Mail siding. Its destination was the Epping Ongar Railway."

I believe it was cut up on site.