Chris T's photo archives

I've dug out a couple more photographs of Cambridge taken from Hills Road bridge which may be of interest.

1722701190_690104CambridgeK6.7.jpg.068ef945ce4011b40bca6fdc7d5b9ac8.jpg

This shows what I think was the Great Eastern goods shed to the rear of Cambridge South signal box.  You can just see the roof of the Great Northern goods shed behind.  

1767597134_800331Cambridge37114K17_19.jpg.f3767e76bc61181dbff2e2dc8dd8ee05.jpg 

And this is a later view taken on 31st March 1980.  The Great Eastern goods shed has been demolished by this time and you can clearly see the Great Northern goods shed in the background albeit with a pole in the way.  The building with the water tank behind it was the Great Northern locomotive shed.  The locomotive is 37114.

Chris Turnbull

Edited by Chris Turnbull
  • Like 16

Here's a bit more colour correction, if you don't object.  A bit more work would get that pink line out of the background and then it would be almost as good as new.

Richard

I don't wish to start colour-correction-wars, but great though that result is - dont you think that is rather too green? 

I was playing about with that image last night and came up with this :-

post-4474-0-50123500-1416073482.jpg

Which just goes to show that a few tweaks of the software can result in different interpretations of the same image, and probably none are exactly as it was in reality when the shutter was pressed.

I think that every one of us would probably come up with a slightly different image, and who is to say that what I see is exactly the same as anyone else?

Edited by jonny777
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
caradoc, on 14 Nov 2014 - 09:46, said:

The second picture with 1900 shows Pullman stock in the train. I wonder if this was the 1535 Sheffield Midland-Kings X 'Master Cutler', due at Peterborough at 1712 - in the May 68-May 69 timetable this was the only Up Pullman booked to call at Peterborough. 1900 was also based at Tinsley for many years (and was a big non-heat 47, which became 47381 !).

Those Pullman Car Company built coaches are also still about in mainline use with WCRC! Atleast one of them at any rate!

Very rough now though!

That's one fine signal-box diagram...     It's interesting that the hump reception roads are track circuited.   

Bill

The down hump reception roads are not track circuited. They have electric depression bars that cause the light to light once they are depressed. When they've cheered up a bit the light goes out <g>. The light going out means the bobby can swing the road to get the pilot on the rear to shove it over the hump.

I'm rather privileged to own that diagram in it's original case and it has been granted permission by Mrs. P to hang on the wall of our bedroom. It weighs a ton too <G>

One day i'll build a simulator for Whitemoor Junction. I have sixteen levers of the original frame and i am negotiations for two other Dutton frames. I have one nameboard and i know where the other is. Likewise i know where the other box diagram is too.

Edited by LNERGE
  • Like 3

One day i'll build a simulator for Whitemoor Junction. I have sixteen levers of the original frame and i am negotiations for two other Dutton frames. I have one nameboard and i know where the other is. Likewise i know where the other box diagram is too.

I trust we'll all be invited to the inauguration ceremony?  :)

I wondered if the dmu cars were actually from a class 125.

March 8th 1969 was a Saturday and a regular feature on the GN&GE early on a Saturday morning was 3C57 which often conveyed newly overhauled dmu cars, as well as parcels vans. I saw class 125 cars on this service, amongst many other units from Stratford and E Anglian depots.

Presumably they worked forward to East London on a separate Whitemoor to Temple Mills service, and the ones in the background are maybe waiting for Monday morning when they will be attached to a southbound working?

But I could be wrong.

I wondered if the dmu cars were actually from a class 125.

March 8th 1969 was a Saturday and a regular feature on the GN&GE early on a Saturday morning was 3C57 which often conveyed newly overhauled dmu cars, as well as parcels vans. I saw class 125 cars on this service, amongst many other units from Stratford and E Anglian depots.

Presumably they worked forward to East London on a separate Whitemoor to Temple Mills service, and the ones in the background are maybe waiting for Monday morning when they will be attached to a southbound working?

But I could be wrong.

I'd say they DMU vehicles are in the up Peterborough sidings at March North. I'd also say they are on the same road and coupled to a MK1 TSO. It suggests a to or from works move.

Edited by LNERGE

• RMweb Premium

My previous Local Operations Manger (Boss to everyone else) tells a lovely story about working Whitemoor box. He was the only signalman to have a two 47's off the road across the same bit of pointwork in a month. I think it was on one of the diamonds coming from the shed....

Whitemoor was also a box where the bobbies were allowed to work topless in summer as it was that hot, something I'm sure Richard repeats...... ;-}

Andy G

Never felt the urge to do it topless but a New Years Eve tradition here is to work Ely North Junction into the early hours whilst under the influence.. A good stove going and a couple of beers (very rare for me to indulge) and while everyone else in the neighbourhood is getting blathered, letting off fireworks and generally having what they call a good time me and a select few others are working our way through a summer Saturday in 1976 or 1981 with no one noticing crashing levers, bells and bouncing semaphores.

• Like 3