Class 31 Photos

On 03/09/2016 at 18:13, Rivercider said:

A few random class 31s from around the network, I don't think have been seen before.

post-7081-0-21826800-1472922067_thumb.jpg

31205 at Kings Lynn, 3/10/81

post-7081-0-42955900-1472922194.jpg

31135 at Exeter St Davids 9/3/81

post-7081-0-75205200-1472922313_thumb.jpg

31270 at Gloucester Horton Road, 31/1/80

post-7081-0-56640700-1472922483_thumb.jpg

31xxx at Bedminster heading west on the Down Main, judging from the lack of cleanliness this was probably a Bath Road allocated loco, 11/2/80

And this is a long time Bath Road allocated loco, complete with dirt!

post-7081-0-00851800-1472922639_thumb.jpg

31210 stabled on the Column Road at Hallen Marsh while on local freight trip duty, 5/2/81

cheers 

The Bedminster loco is 31170 Kevin

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 96701 said:

A singularly awful shot of 5631 and an unknown Brush 2, both in unknown locations or dates! 

The upper picture looks like running into March station, from the east.

The lower one looks familiar too but I can't place it!

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, 31A said:

The upper picture looks like running into March station, from the east.

The lower one looks familiar too but I can't place it!

Yup, definitely been to March loads of times. Second one Grimsby?

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

Bloody kids! My very last trip on the Chinnor coal was with 50 038, we were booked to have 47 510 but it was declared a failure on the factory, 31 273 was also available but, er, we declined... ;)

Back to 31s... photographer unknown but I think it's either Stratford or Hornsey, with both of the 'one off' livery variants on D5578 and D5579...

31s D5578 & D5579 ETC.jpg

I'm sure that is not Hornsey, for a couple of reasons.

1 - the presence of a GE EE3 (cl37).

2. The headcose on all the Brush 2 (30/31) appear to all be GE codes.

I'm not familiar with the style of building so can't comment on that.

Stewart

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
19 hours ago, stewartingram said:

I'm sure that is not Hornsey, for a couple of reasons.

1 - the presence of a GE EE3 (cl37).

2. The headcose on all the Brush 2 (30/31) appear to all be GE codes.

I'm not familiar with the style of building so can't comment on that.

Stewart

Certainly not Hornsey, from the style of building. 

A couple from June 16th 1978 at Peterborough. Entering the station with 1E80, 16.40 Birmingham New St. - Norwich is 31244/ D5672, one of the handful with the tablet catcher recess for High Dyke, still visible towards the back of the loco. Also an unidentified member of the class with Presflos leaving the yard - I wondered if the white dusting meant they might have been used on the cement traffic from Ketton.

John.

A072002 copyweb.jpg

A072003_copyweb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, BrushVeteran said:

I'm certain this is March and the two buildings on the far right were subsequently demolished and the new diesel depot built on that site. The existing buildings on the left were adapted for diesel maintenance.

Having looked at various books, I agree it is March steam shed but the original 1884 GER buildings, rather than the later LNER built shed with north light roof which is more often seen in photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

A couple from June 16th 1978 at Peterborough. Entering the station with 1E80, 16.40 Birmingham New St. - Norwich is 31244/ D5672, one of the handful with the tablet catcher recess for High Dyke, still visible towards the back of the loco. Also an unidentified member of the class with Presflos leaving the yard - I wondered if the white dusting meant they might have been used on the cement traffic from Ketton.

John.

A072003_copyweb.jpg

Or could have been the fly ash traffic from various power stations to the brick pits at Fletton, which was also carried in Presflo type wagons.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

16 minutes ago, 31A said:

Having looked at various books, I agree it is March steam shed but the original 1884 GER buildings, rather than the later LNER built shed with north light roof which is more often seen in photos.

I've just been looking at some pictures of March steam shed as well, and feel a bit confused! Were the GER and LNER sheds adjacent, or was the GER shed at the bottom of the yard by the site of the now demolished diesel depot, as I thought the LNER construction was a way to the north along the yard on the west side?

The picture is a splendid one, and despite being a dull day does seem to imply that the experimental blue on D5578 was a fair bit darker that some have suggested, quite close to Rail Blue in fact.

Thanks,

John.

• RMweb Premium
31 minutes ago, John Tomlinson said:

I've just been looking at some pictures of March steam shed as well, and feel a bit confused! Were the GER and LNER sheds adjacent, or was the GER shed at the bottom of the yard by the site of the now demolished diesel depot, as I thought the LNER construction was a way to the north along the yard on the west side?

The picture is a splendid one, and despite being a dull day does seem to imply that the experimental blue on D5578 was a fair bit darker that some have suggested, quite close to Rail Blue in fact.

Thanks,

John.

Not sure to be honest, I expect others will know.  I'm sure I've seen a diagrammatic map of the yards, depots etc at March recently but can't find it now!  I've got a book called 'The Railway at March' which has several Eric Sawford pictures of steam locos standing in front of the shed buildings in the picture, and the aerial photo which is on this page:

https://www.cambridgeairphotos.com/areas/fenland/page4.html

The picture isn't dated but I think the pale coloured building half way up to the left hand side is either the LNER 1933 shed or the Diesel depot which was built on its site, with the dark building to its left being the 1884 steam shed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 31A said:

Not sure to be honest, I expect others will know.  I'm sure I've seen a diagrammatic map of the yards, depots etc at March recently but can't find it now!  I've got a book called 'The Railway at March' which has several Eric Sawford pictures of steam locos standing in front of the shed buildings in the picture, and the aerial photo which is on this page:

https://www.cambridgeairphotos.com/areas/fenland/page4.html

The picture isn't dated but I think the pale coloured building half way up to the left hand side is either the LNER 1933 shed or the Diesel depot which was built on its site, with the dark building to its left being the 1884 steam shed.

That's a very interesting link.

I've dug out a couple of books, Platform 5's "Steam Motive Power Depots" vol.2 and Irwell's "British Railways Engine Sheds" vol.1. The former shows the building in the photo above to be the shed, being as Brush Veteran says the original steam shed which was partially demolished to site the new diesel depot we all visited in our youth. This is the structure on the west side and effectively south of the yard, close to Norwood Road. The Irwell book refers to the 1932 LNER newbuild shed which had a northlight roof and was also on the west side of the yard, but  several hundred metres north of the other shed. This is the one in which one often sees steam photos, and was the servicing shed for the yard, turning, coaling and watering locos to go back in the direction that they'd come, towards Lincoln or Cambridge.

Both structures are visible on the aerial photo in your link, for which many thanks.

John.

P.S. the photo is also interesting for showing the viaduct at Guyhirn at the top and the March to Wisbech road, and right at top the crossing of the Nene by the GN&GE Joint.

Edited by John Tomlinson
P.S.
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1