16V supply for Lenz 150

Prideofcalais

Good Morning All

I have a Lenz 150 Accessory decoder which hope I to run with Railmaster

Can anyone advise if the 16v output from an ageing H&M Clipper would be suitable to power the Lenz 150

Thanks in advance

On Lenz site it says

AC voltage must be used to supply power to

the LS150. Do not use a DC supply as this can damage

the LS150

The power of the transformer used must not exceed
The power of the transformer used must not exceed

Max power 45VA

hope this helps

trevor

Been op LS150's for many yrs  and have been powering them with 18V ac 5amp also for yrs with no problems at all.

Not destroyed an LS150 yet.

All my point motors are Peco PL10 and op 2 in tandem as in cross overs with no problems.

Cheers

Ian

'Equally but opposite' I also operate my LS150's with an Ikea 'lamp' 12V ac plug-top transformer (20W) on one of our portable layouts... but this is only operating low-current Roco Point Motors and the like.

My higher voltage/ current  alternative is 'notionally' 16Vac, but, most of the time will be nearer 22Vac rms becasue it is a much heavier (less portable) Roco standard transformer, which will 'drop' to 16Vac at full-load, but since a transformer is unregulated, rises to about 22V when no current is taken - it too does not damage LS150s

The important thing to realise is the explicit requirement that it is an ac waveform: ie it falls to 0 volts 100 times a second .... because that is how+when the power stages of the LS150 switch off. Presumably (I have not tested this!) - IF you were foolish enough to connect a DC supply... the output would never turn off, ... until you had meltdown 8-)

BY CONTRAST: THE ESU SwitchPilot can use AC, DC or DCC .. but the differing voltages usually available from each source are noticeable on the output capability... The ac having the highest peak voltage definately also shows the greatest drive: in this case, any incoming power supply is rectified to dc and smoothed by charging a capacitor.

Many thanks to All for the advice.

I measured the output of the H&M Clipper which was 17V.

So, all connected up, LS 150 programmed through railmaster fist time all six outputs changed the turnouts effortlessly

A result !  So don't thow out those old Clippers and Duettes.

Thanks

Alec

• 2 years later...

Resurrecting an old thread, but it is the nearest I could find to my question...

I have a shunting plank, just two Fulgurex point motors, and I have a Lenz LS150 - overkill I know, but I have it. There will only ever be one (small) loco operating, and that will have to be stationary when I throw either of the point motors. Can I get away with using the Track Bus power as the 16v AC supply? The Lenz set 100 and transformer are remote from the plank, I really don't want another set of wires I have to plug into the layout to get it to work... Happy to try it and find out so long as no-one says "No, you'll kill it stone dead as soon as you connect it".

TIA,

Tref.

Phil: (my 3rd attempt at replying tonight due to keyboard/disappearing text problems 8-( )

NO - As explained in my answer of almost 2 years ago to the day - the LS150 expects a 50Hz/60Hz (probably sinusoidal) waveform on the power supply input because it uses the fall to Zero 100x (or 120x) a second to turn off the gate it has operated...

If you used a supply, albeit alternating (dcc) almost 1000x faster, then the circuitry is unlikely to behave as the designer intended !

(amonst other things, the gates may not be able to fully turn off in the shortened time period - I have not looked at their specs though)

Secondly - something I only noticed when reading the USA english download of the manual (I may have overlooked it in the supplid printed version, or it may have been added at a revision) ...

It mentions the MAXIMUM inout which should be provided (another correspondant mentioned the power-rating of the transformer, quoted in the manual with respect to this) ... but the additional info explained this was related to current sensing measurement to protect from overloads - and this would be affected by the incoming voltage... a higher voltage incoming increasing  the current across the detecting resistors.... so perhaps my Roco 50VA '16V'ac transformer is at its upper limit/beyond (especially 'off-load' ?)

For my Roco point motors I have found it works well with an Ikea 12V 20W plug-in transformer 8-)

YES: Your Fulgarex Slow Motion point motors (which are nominally less than 12V!) will work okay on the Lenz LS150, with the 2 diodes added, as specificied in the manual, to half-wave rectify the output, in opposite directions.

I have been using these for several years in our shunting puzzle in G Scale - but watch out for the end-off switches gettting out of alignment (or losing a spring) / not being reached if you have insufficient overrun available.  The Ikea 12Vac supply is fine for these!

I have, however, now replaced all of these with SERVOS to provide the same slow motion effect - but more quietly !!!..

For this I am using the Bachmann/ESU Switchpilot SERVO   (or the 2 servo outputs of a SwitchPilot)  .... this CAN run off the track piwer supply - but you will notice 'twitching' on power up, or when track power is reapplied after a short.... and a 'heavy' current (relatively) at this time.  This layout will running again in Henfield tomorrow

As mentioned in another thread (or 2) I have also been replacing my Lenz LS!50s to resolve (or avoid) a problem experienced with them not 'switching off' as expected - in combination with CERTAIN of my Roco point motors (which have inbuilt end-off switches)... where these particular points would either buzz or eventually operate ...not sure why  ... was I supplying an excessive voltage ???

... but replacing with dccCDU decoders has eliminated or avoided the problem.  

Archived