Right Track 19 DVD - Layout Planning and Design

Chris_Walsh

The new Right Track DVD on Layout Planning and design has been out for a few weeks and I have discovered three blog reviews.

They are on these links...

http://tfmodelling.wordpress.com/2014/10/01/right-track-19-layout-planning-and-design-review/

http://radnorailways.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/on-right-track.html

http://basilicafields.wordpress.com/

Chris Walsh

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It looks as though I was not alone in having a DVD drop into the letterbox a week or so ago. My thoughts are here, but to save a click of the mouse and give myself a second bite of the cherry I'll give you my thoughts here.

This what it looks like.

post-6793-0-09268600-1415101288_thumb.jpg

Inside you'll find two hours, twenty five minutes of instruction and inspiration on the craft of layout planning and design. It encompasses both prototype and fictitious subjects, though always referenced to what the real railway would do, taking the viewer from the spark of inspiration, through paper plan and full sized mock up to finished, refined layout. Most gratifyingly it doesn't bang on about track plan (and it's tedious bedfellows signalling and operation) letting that aspect flow naturally from the inspiration, but takes that as it's starting point showing how the best can be got out of a given situation, by careful thought, planning, examination and modification.

The demonstration pieces are in the smaller/micro layout bracket but the lessons learned would be easy to extrapolate to a larger scheme. The DVD is pitched fair and square at what the Railway Modeller used to term 'the average enthusiast', though a novice who has read a few magazines, been to a show and spent some hours here on the interweb should have no trouble getting themselves up to speed and getting a lot out of it. I look forward to seeing a rash of better looking layouts as a result.

Thanks Neil.

We sent out copies to selected people who would give an unbiased opinion of the DVD.

Independent reviews are invaluable and I have added your review to the other three on our Right Track 19 web page.

If anyone else has any comments about this latest programme, please post them here or email me at chris.walsh@activitymedia.co.uk

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Got this one a while back and has given me the kick up the backside to finally get off of it and build a "shelfie", whilst:

a: Wait for the space to be come available for the "layout of my dreams" (I will miss her when she leaves home, honest!).

b: Learn Templot to enable, a: above

c: Do some actual railway modelling so I can run all the stuff I've accumulated / made over the years.

Brilliant and worth every penny!

Cheers Chris

• 1 month later...

Thanks for your comments. It's good to know you are finding the DVD useful.

Sad to say, we have decided to close Activity Media this year and so this will be the last of the series.

We are running a closing down sale where this DVD is reduced to £12.99. The sale page is here.

Chris

• 2 months later...

I've missed this thread, but I would certainly echo the comments of others, it is worthwhile viewing and it does make you think. For example I have always thought about the length of my baseboards as a way of getting more in (well I am a bloke!). But the presenters try to get you to think about depth too! If you are a micro layout builder the project layout is excellent, as Paul and Paul take you through the genesis of this design and explore things such as positioning buildings etc. I was really pleased with this video, and now it's half price as, rather sadly, Activity Media are closing down.

Linners

• RMweb Gold

I Can only Echo what's already been said.

A really good informative DVD.

The cement works is something I'm seriously thinking of building in N-gauge!!

A real shame there will be no more.

Cheers

Ian

• 6 months later...

Anyone any copy's of this they wish to sell?

Hi Robbieb, I bought the remaining stock, about 50 I think, of the Planning and Design, DVD when Activity Media closed down.  They originally sold for over £20 but I'm happy to sell them for £13 each, plus postage, that said I will have copies available at the BRM Peterborough show if you want to avoid the postage charge.  Kind regards Paul (Lunn)  

Hi Robbieb, I bought the remaining stock, about 50 I think, of the Planning and Design, DVD when Activity Media closed down.  They originally sold for over £20 but I'm happy to sell them for £13 each, plus postage, that said I will have copies avail of table at the BRM Peterborough show if you want to avoid the postage charge.  Kind regards Paul (Lunn)  

Hi Paul

I am interested in getting a copy of this DVD if you could give me some contact details Thanks.Stuart

• 8 months later...

Hi Paul

I am interested in getting a copy of this DVD if you could give me some contact details Thanks.Stuart

Hi Paul

I have just picked up this thread (being new to RMWeb). I have also been endeavouring to purchase a copy of this DVD but without any luck - do you still have a copy available that I could purchase please?    

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul

I have just picked up this thread (being new to RMWeb). I have also been endeavouring to purchase a copy of this DVD but without any luck - do you still have a copy available that I could purchase please?    

Hi PH1, Just checking you got my PM, Kind regards Paul

Archived