Latest North American Rapido News online

rapidotrains

Thanks for writing- they are a good read.  And no, I am not going to order one of the Cuban BoCo's, as I already have a pair of the far less successful UK ones !

James

I probably will. Just have to check my photos and order one which I have seen (or at least photographed).

22 orders for an FCS-1 hah!

Boy that is low.

I've been thinking about that, and how you can have two competing models of an oddball UK prototype but can't sell some very common North American models.

The answer is actually quite simple: British Rail.

Because there was one railway for almost 50 years, anyone modelling that one railway can justify any locomotive on their layout.  But if you had 30 different railways and 10000/10001 were made for only one of the 30, you'd never be able to bring one model of them to market, let alone two.

That is the problem in North America.  Too many railways.  Thus an oddball from one railway, even a hugely popular railway like SP or CN, can't be made.

-Jason

I've been thinking about that, and how you can have two competing models of an oddball UK prototype but can't sell some very common North American models.

The answer is actually quite simple: British Rail.

Because there was one railway for almost 50 years, anyone modelling that one railway can justify any locomotive on their layout.  But if you had 30 different railways and 10000/10001 were made for only one of the 30, you'd never be able to bring one model of them to market, let alone two.

That is the problem in North America.  Too many railways.  Thus an oddball from one railway, even a hugely popular railway like SP or CN, can't be made.

-Jason

Could it be Also that with so many railways in North America, that there are far more oddballs to choose from?

I guess with the UK being a small island in comparison (sic - let's face it Canada dwarfs Western Europe by a huge margin), the UK too has locos that were really attached to regions, but I guess someone in the UK does not have to go far to see locos that don,t run on their local lines.

I am from the south originally and if I wanted to see the big diesels running normally in the midlands and the north, well a trip to see such a loco is often less than 100 km away would. Having visited Canada, the trip would be a lot bigger.

So the combination of fewer regions, a dense rail network, and everything being a lot closer, combined with fewer oddballs probably creates a better market for models.

Saw CN locos 2727, 4717 and 8894 on my trip. Quite fancy one of those GMDs, but not the Cuban one even if it is really odd being an A1A BO!

Interesting and Educational about the Reed Sea too :)

I'm imagining Pharaoh's army cranking hard-carts behind, only to be engulfed by the Reed [sic] Sea.

I sympathize with all the cancelled product lines. That must be frustrating, disappointing, and as a supplier, present gloomy financial prospects as well.

Nevertheless, far better that they were 'conditional' models never to see the light of day and they didn't end up manufactured sitting in a warehouse somewhere having consumed a box car load of sunk cost.

Archived