'Hempshaw'

georgeT

Welcome to 'Hempshaw'  the next project, 'Hempshaw' will be my first serious layout to have SMP and handbuilt pointwork, l have learned so much from building 'Ashcombe' so l know all the pit falls l had, so this will be a small branch line terminus somewhere in the west country (l know l have said they are boring) but this time l will do some research first before laying any track, l have made a few points with copper-clad and 75 rail, and they are getting better (at last),

What l want is a sleepy village railway with a small station building and some goods sidings (plenty of shunting) with a nice river running the the front of the railway, so l have had a trip to my local DIY shop and had the base board cut to size, l will show the progress as l go, as l had so many followers on 'Ashcombe' who said they really liked all the up dates

George

post-7716-0-21411000-1414342053_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-89465500-1414342055_thumb.jpg

Hi mate, good to see Hempsaw has started, will you be doing the research for the track plan before cutting the wood so the River / Stream goes in the right place as per Hemyock, that's a superb plan but being done to a stunning fashion on here by Jim, (Aberdare).

Much Murkle is another stunner, BLT's like Ashburton etc were once the rage but of late there haven't been that many, John Flann's Hintock is a really great example of a BLT.

All the best with this one mate, I will be with you all the way

• RMweb Gold

All I can say George is good luck and that awaiting updates with anticipation.

If this is even half as interesting thread to follow as Aschombe then you'll certainly be doing something right

Nestor

Hello Gang,  The big debate over on Bodgits  'Bitton' is scratch building track with cosmetic chairs or not, l took some photos on a layout l saw at Hazel Grove's exhibition, this morning and saw this effort, so l will not be using chairs just neat soldering...

post-7716-0-42940700-1414354912_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-87720100-1414354915_thumb.jpg

Hi George.

Great to see the new thread starting. What size are you baseboards going to be, the pieces look very long in you picture or are they not cut to length yet?

The thing that worries me about soldered track is the transition from solder to chaired C&L/SMP track if you're not going to use cosmetic chairs. Have you tried ply and plastic chairs? I've made up some straight track and it's very easy to do. I don't see the pointwork as being any harder than soldering. Time will tell.

Ray.

Hello Ray,   l will see how neat the finish is before deciding on the addition of cosmetic chairs, the layout is 6'6" long and 23" wide, and l will keep it as one board as it will fit in the car as one, the fiddle yard will be separate and clips on....

George

Morning Mate, have you decided whether it will be Southern again, or Western Region? Maybe an S & D Layout for a change, something like Tim Maddocks wonderful Engine Wood for Example, then you have a reason for not only your Jinty but also some nice 4F, and Standards alongside the Spam Cans that you so dearly love.

Hello Al,   l guess it will be a bumpy ride, think l will need a seatbelt too, hahaha, will make the base board on thursday, still trying to come up with a track plan as yet, just a sleepy little village, nothing too big..........

George

George, whist looking at plans, don't forget Mac Pyrke's wonderful Berrow Branch and of course Silchester that you and I spent hours drooling over at a few Shows many years ago, and then there was Bodmin that we saw at the Manchester Show a couple of years ago, and a Layout we saw at Wigan a couple of years ago with the guy from Havant running it.

There are so many wonderful examples of great little Layouts that you can get inspiration from, Oh and I nearly forgot, there's also Ashcombe by George T, that was another great little Layout, in fact its STUCK IN MY SHED. hahhaha

Hi George nice name ;-) I will know where that comes from! So will the stream be called Tin Brook then?

Cheers Paul

Hi George nice name ;-) I will know where that comes from! So will the stream be called Tin Brook then?

Cheers Paul

Hello Buddy, l think l fancy a nice small BLT layout with tank locos, all other stock will be stored at the moment for future projects ? l need to book up a hours talk (help) on CVs, l changed one and now from step one it shoots off at 60 miles an hour hahaha H - E - L - P,  why don't they explain things so that an idiot ( like me) can change CVs easily ??

George

Hello Buddy, l think l fancy a nice small BLT layout with tank locos, all other stock will be stored at the moment for future projects ? l need to book up a hours talk (help) on CVs, l changed one and now from step one it shoots off at 60 miles an hour hahaha H - E - L - P,  why don't they explain things so that an idiot ( like me) can change CVs easily ??

George

Er, wasn't 'Ashcombe' a BLT, I thought you sold that because you wanted through running?

What CV did you change? A decoder reset should sort it.

Ray.

Morning Ray,  CVs 55 and 54 Bodgit was talking me through the process on the phone but was called away as his plywood had arrived, so l mucked about with it, and as l said now it starts at 60 mile an hour, hahahaha how do l restore the chip back to the original settings ?

While at the hazel grove show on sunday l fell in love with CULM (just what l want me thinks) ? Yes l know 'Ashgone' was a BLT but it was far too big and clumsy thats why l have a smaller baseboard at 6'6" long with an external fiddle yard, just to play with at home ?

George

Hi George

Looking forward to seeing how you do on this, are you taking over Bodgits mantle of serial layout builder now he has resigned himself to the potting shed??

Look forward to seeing it come along

Neil

Archived