'Hempshaw'

georgeT

Got an idea of a nice small goods yard with a small building of some sort, must have plenty of shunting this time, so l have ordered some Sprat & Winkle couplings for easier un-coupling around the yard, using magnets strategically placed under the track, a friend of ours had them years ago and they are still working. l remember me and Bodgit had a great time shunting around the little yard he had built...

George

Evening George,

Thankfully Al kindly referred to 'Hempshaw' on your old 'Ashcombe' thread as I'd obviously missed the fact that you had started it!!

I'll be looking in with interest after the joy of following the old layout thread!

Kind regards mate,

Jock.

Morning Jock / Bob,   l felt that l had gone as far as l could have with 'Ashcombe' as l had made a few mistakes (loads in fact) in the construction, l was not happy with the track plan or the track, all l had to serve was the brewery, great at first but very limited to what l could do, then l started to construct my own track and the difference was amazing,  so l thought about re-laying all the track with SMP and hand built points,

But it would have been a big job, so l thought a fresh start was needed ?  so when l told Mike that l was thinking of selling  'Ashcombe' he bought it there

and then, so before l knew it, it was 'Ashgone' so l will start all over again...

l am so glad that some modellers found 'Ashcombe' helpful, and going by all the likes and kind comments l had during the build it was obvious quite a few enjoyed the build as well, so l will hopefully do the same with this new project 'Hempshaw' and this time l will think things out better in stead of rushing it, first thing what l have found over the years is the couplings on RTR stock are very hit and miss, more often miss with me,  

So l have bought some Sprat & Winkle magnet operated couplings, so that should give better results, we'll see........

Regards George

George,

Good afternoon mate, don't see any posting since the 3rd mate - hope everything is well with you?

I'd like some pictures if you've started planning your track work, it will be interesting to note the realism when compared to the ready to plant stuff. I'm afraid Im sticking to the code75 with Ray(Tender)'s subtle mods. Because it's an MPD, most of the photos show little of the trackwork as it is all covered in black muck or ash so I thought I'd tame a leaf out of Mike(Thorburn's) book and use a DAS mix though not the P4 bit!

Please bring us up to date if you get time mate,

Kind regards,

Jock.

Hello Jock,  Still here, but nothings happening at the moment, l have a track plan in mind, but cant seem to get it right just yet, also l have decided to use Sprat & Winkle couplings, so l'm busy mucking about with those to-day, also l will be using cardboard as the material to build the buildings on 'Hempshaw' if its good enough for Pendon its good enough for me, l am waiting for a couple of kits from ABM Railcraft to arrive which are card so l will have a play with them to see how good they are ? l really don't want to go down the total scratch build any more lifes too short, hahaha

l have heard from Bodgit this week and he and Dee are enjoying the chill out, getting ready for the track laying on 'Bitton' no doubt (hahaha) l have bought a box of SMP track and must say it looks so much better the the usual track l have used for years , just have to build eight points for 'Hempshaw' now, will post pictures of any progress soon (Hopefully) the track building will start with the run round section in the station, 

George

Well its taken all day to do it but l think l'm there, got some magnets under a test track at it seems to work OK, just a have another 20 or so wagons to do, the locos will just have the loop fitted, you just have to have your train worked out right with all the hooks the same way some wagons like brake vans etc will have a hook on both ends, practice will make perfect l hope hahaha

post-7716-0-11342300-1415380232_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-93533600-1415380287_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-41537500-1415380291_thumb.jpg

Hi George, not familiar with the Sprat & Winkle, can we see how you have mounted the hook. Presumably it has a hinged part to allow it to drop and a counter balance to hold it up.

The new station building on Camel Quay used a ABM card kit as a shell covered with das clay and scribed. I used the laser cut window frames but don't like the clear plastic thats supplied for the glass, much too thin. I covered the roof with slates from York Modelling and plastrut gutters and downpipes added. The card kit goes together pretty well but i found the print colour a bit wishy washy. (personal taste)

Looking forward to seeing some track.

Ray.

Evening Ray,  Well today l have altered the S&W couplings and made a unit out of scrap brass, and they are much better and stronger, and l feel they look better, really didn't like the bar across the buffers,  l will see what the signal box looks like from ABM Railcraft when it arrives ?

George

post-7716-0-23709100-1415489840_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-25744200-1415489843_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-81359900-1415489845_thumb.jpg

Hello Jock,  You are up late tonight mate, anyway yes you are right they do need a coat of paint, but they do look better and they work great, still trying to come up with a track plan for 'Hempshaw' l am going down to Bodgit next week so l am hoping he can help...

George

Well l have spent nearly two days mucking about with S&W couplings to achieve nothing at all, all l wanted was to automatically uncouple stock in the yard and the station run-round loop with magnets under the track, so l spent a few bob on all the bits and pieces to achieve, it was taking an hour or so to fit the S&W to one wagon ? . l was very pleased at first but then l tried to fit the couplings to a bogie wagon, (no go) it was very hard to do, in fact l lost interest very quickly,  then l looked at some of my locos, there again very, very difficult to do, as there is no room at all l was very mad with myself for not looking into the project deeper at first (nothing new there hahaha) so l have decided to scrap the idea and thew them in the bin....

Then while l was in bed last night thinking about my ordeal l remembered reading somewhere about sticking a staple to the end of the RTR coupling so simple it could not possibly work, but l got out of bed at 3am and started to experiment ......????

And to my amazement it works, and works well, and it costs nothing (well just the cost of the magnets) so just remove the hook at one end and you have got basically what the S&W was with no real work involved..why oh why do l not think things out first ???  hahahaha

post-7716-0-66298000-1415525154_thumb.jpg

post-7716-0-94769000-1415525158_thumb.jpg

Hello sp1,  l know l saw it somewhere, looked too simple to work, but it does and its great, thanks for the link...

George

Someone else came up with the idea of adding an additional staple ABOVE the coupling aswell, to allow delayed coupling (ie to push wagons around without them recoupling) - can't find it at the moment, but I mean to try it myself.

Apparently the Brian Kirby method works with Bachmann coupling, as the book is non ferrous, but not Hornby ones due to them becoming magnetised - havent tried any Hornby ones myself yet: would be interesting to hear from someone who has.

• RMweb Gold

Pete Harvey also supplies replacement brass hooks for various makes of coupling - not tried them yet though.

( usual disclaimers)

The only problems I've had is where the whole coupling droops ( the BWT  being a prime example) as it can be difficult / impossible to adjust the height of the bar.

This causes the hook to not fully engage, meaning pulled wagons uncouple over the magnet.

Stu

Here's a method with an extra hook piece of wire underneath, which allows you to push wagons around:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/315/entry-3184-delayed-action-magnetic-tension-locks/

This is NOT the method I mentioned, which definitely had an extra loop above the coupling, which looked very easy to set up, and allowed use of same coupling at both ends - only problem is, I can't find it now!

Hello Lads,  Thanks for the input and help, l have just replaced all the couplings back to the wagons l had re-moved, glad l did not bin them hahaha   also l bought some magnets from (first4magnets) they were about £8 for 20 and they are very strong and easy to fit under the track......

post-7716-0-52277300-1415535579_thumb.jpg

Pete Harvey also supplies replacement brass hooks for various makes of coupling - not tried them yet though.

( usual disclaimers)

The only problems I've had is where the whole coupling droops ( the BWT  being a prime example) as it can be difficult / impossible to adjust the height of the bar.

This causes the hook to not fully engage, meaning pulled wagons uncouple over the magnet.

Stu

Humm. I tried out this method briefly on a friends layout but gave it up as a bad job. To many variables to make it reliable like as Stubby indicated with drooping couplings (not confined to the BWT), different materials, staples falling off and you have to be super accurate getting the coupling to stop over he magnet. I know some people don't like the look of kadee's as they are none prototypical but neither are the alternatives, unless you go for screw or three links, but they do work.  As yet i haven't found a loco/wagon/coach thats not been relatively easy to convert and they are pretty robust and reliable.

Ray.

Humm. I tried out this method briefly on a friends layout but gave it up as a bad job. To many variables to make it reliable like as Stubby indicated with drooping couplings (not confined to the BWT), different materials, staples falling off and you have to be super accurate getting the coupling to stop over he magnet. I know some people don't like the look of kadee's as they are none prototypical but neither are the alternatives, unless you go for screw or three links, but they do work.  As yet i haven't found a loco/wagon/coach thats not been relatively easy to convert and they are pretty robust and reliable.

Ray.

There are these http://www.dingham.co.uk/4mm_coupler.htm

I have had no experience of them so cannot comment on them.

Hello Ray,  l have been playing around with the new idea most of the day, the way l do it is to put the staple on the bottom of the hook with a little powerbond give it a good tight squeeze and it is fixed, with the strong magnet under the track, works every time, so will proceed with them on 'Hempshaw'

Hello Mick.  l have had a look at the couplings you have shown, but they look like a lot of work to build...

George

l have found some slightly bigger staples and fixed them on some stock and they seem to work much better will try them for a while before making them the standard coupling on  'Hempshaw'  also l now have a track plan to work on,  so will commence track building soon, also it will be DC as there will only ever be one loco in use at one time, (also it will keep costs down) will keep the DCC for a sound diesel project later......

George

Archived